• Advertisement

Hi from Pa.

Here is the place to say hello to our newest member.
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Re: Hi from Pa.

Postby Buddy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 am

Suzukidave wrote:Well that conversation didnt go to well :shock: seems more taste testing on my part needs to be done :beer:

We expect a detailed report. :P Maybe try a couple of those spirals also. :beer:
Mama told me to never drink unless I was alone or with somebody.
"It's only for medicinal porpoises."
Buddy

Equipment type: 8 Gallon Hybrid Stainless

Postby Suzukidave » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Well it turns out it took several ( or more ) taste testing secession's to decide the bottle thats been on the Jack Daniel barrel chips for the month had a much better taste than the other two younger bottles . So i filtered and bottled the oldest bottle and will let the other two sit for a while longer , at 85 proof it all had a bit of heat at first sip but then mellowed so after all the testing i would say both were pretty good batches :8)
Suzukidave

Postby Suzukidave » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:13 pm

Rum 3-6-18#2.JPG
While waiting for the last batch of Rum to age a bit i started the next batch and the next morning the ferment is churning pretty good
Suzukidave

Postby Suzukidave » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:27 am

Ran it out
IMG_0888.PNG
Suzukidave

Postby Suzukidave » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:01 am

I am not sure what i did wrong but i thought i would try smoothing some brew by filtering it thru about a foot of 2" tube packed with washed charcoal . At the end i had 2 layers of coffee filters , what i got is a smoother but very gray looking result ? Two days in the freezer has not settled it out very much so asking for a tip to get it clear again .
Suzukidave

Postby Tracker » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:59 am

Charcoal also takes out a lot of flavour.

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby Suzukidave » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:31 am

I was experimenting with some so wasnt too worried about loosing some flavor , i just have never tried charcoal filtering so figured i would but i didnt expect it to hold the very light black color no matter how many times i filter thru coffee filters . Maybe the coffee filters i am using are not fine enough .. they were the cheap ones .
Suzukidave

Postby Suzukidave » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:14 pm

scr controller.jpg
I picked up one of these voltage controllers to replace the PID controller https://www.ebay.com/itm/111568442164
Suzukidave

Postby Suzukidave » Mon May 07, 2018 10:01 pm

I received the voltage controller and wiring it up is very easy , full power to the 5500 watt heater got the 3 gal test water boiling hot pretty quick so now to make up a batch for proper testing .
Suzukidave

Postby Saltbush Bill » Tue May 08, 2018 2:20 am

S-Cackalacky wrote: It's one of those things that is accepted as fact simply because it's said enough times.

I except it as fact because Ive experimented and found out for my self. Hundreds of others on many different distilling forums have come to the same conclusion for the same reason.
Im not good at following the herd, with most things in life I have to find out the hard way, which is trail and error.
Saltbush Bill

Equipment type: 2 inch pot still 25L boiler. 2 1/2 inch pot still 50L boiler

Postby The Baker » Tue May 08, 2018 7:10 am

Suzukidave wrote:I was experimenting with some so wasnt too worried about loosing some flavor , i just have never tried charcoal filtering so figured i would but i didnt expect it to hold the very light black color no matter how many times i filter thru coffee filters . Maybe the coffee filters i am using are not fine enough .. they were the cheap ones .

Try letting it stand, like, awhile. Like, at least a month.

Geoff
The Baker

Equipment type: Pot still

Previous

Return to Welcome New User