• Advertisement

Hello All

Here is the place to say hello to our newest member.
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Hello All

Postby Dragonfyre1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Hello all, have been prowling for a while, and I am on several other forums, Just getting around to pick a few brains on some of the wonderful topics here. I have been distilling for a few years, and am actually now licensed and producing for a little under 2 years with a 25 gallon electric 4" column reflux still ( yes it was a good way to start, but it's time for a bigger still!!). I Still have LOTS to learn!!!
dfstill.jpg
Distillery in the beginning
“Happiness is having a rare steak, a bottle of whisky, and a dog to eat the rare steak.”
Johnny Carson
Dragonfyre1

Equipment type: 25 gallon electric reflux still, 2- 100 gallon barrel mash tun / fermenters

Re: Hello All

Postby punkin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:28 pm

Welcome, have access.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby just sayin' » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Glad to have you here! What do you produce? And how much with 25 gallon still?
just sayin'

Postby Copperhead road » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:24 am

Welcome to the forum, very nice rig indeed :rkn:
my pet is a CCSC copper flute, I feed it corn and it pisses likker like a pony....
Copperhead road

Postby Dragonfyre1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:02 pm

I make an all corn white whiskey, I use the same corn whiskey and chip it for 3 months for my second product, then I did a whiskey from a bourbon mash (high corn Bourbon mash) which is chipped for 3 months then (used) barrel aged for 3 months (really tasty stuff!!) , I finally had my first barrel of real Bourbon (baby bourbon, only 6 months in the new barrel (10 gallon from ADK barrel cooperage in NY) came out great and is already gone, and the next one won't be ready until November, Oh well, that's one of the hardest parts about barrel aging, and I did an apple brandy, still in its new #2 char oak barrels from last falls apples, barreled it in February, tastes good but I may cut back even further on the barrel char, or go to a used barrel to bring more apple forward and less oak.
So we opened in November of 2016 and I have produced 470ish proof gallons so far.
No the 25 gallon still is no longer keeping up with sales in our tasting room, and I am not in any liquor store due to that fact, all sales are currently through the distillery, but I don't have to discount my liquor either!!
I just purchased a 120 gallon SS barrel
120barrel.jpg
for the outer pot of the new double boiler still I will be starting soon. I found C122 copper through farmerscopper.com, one of the forums I read had them listed, I bought 2 sheets of 48" by 120" .065 copper from them to build the inner copper pot etc. for the new still. The copper came from Germany!
Having a lot of fun through the tasting room, meeting so many great people! Making whiskey on this scale as a one man operation takes up A LOT of time with the demand we are experiencing. Need to start this new still SOON!!! I do a 60 gallon mash once a week and that takes 3 days to distill (average 6 hours a run) weekends are tours and tastings, yep, a distillers dream come true!! I will have to say though, I read the home distillers forums more than anything else, you guys here are the cutting edge of experimentation etc, and way more fun that the professionals, I am ALWAYS learning something new here, and some of you are darn right amazing!
“Happiness is having a rare steak, a bottle of whisky, and a dog to eat the rare steak.”
Johnny Carson
Dragonfyre1

Equipment type: 25 gallon electric reflux still, 2- 100 gallon barrel mash tun / fermenters

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:12 pm

We're also a tiny distillery with two of us trying to keep up with demand. I'm looking really hard at a bain marie 380-liter boiler from Stilldragon, optimized for grappa an any other gunk we can load into the still into the still.
We do single/-malt whiskeys, gin, vodka, grappa, and anything else that comes along. Right now I'm developing a viodnier eau de vie, and it's tasting pretty good.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Copperhead road » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:39 pm

Zymurgy Bob wrote:We're also a tiny distillery with two of us trying to keep up with demand. I'm looking really hard at a bain marie 380-liter boiler from Stilldragon, optimized for grappa an any other gunk we can load into the still into the still.
We do single/-malt whiskeys, gin, vodka, grappa, and anything else that comes along. Right now I'm developing a viodnier eau de vie, and it's tasting pretty good.

I was only thinking of you this morning Bob, we started a Grappa thread over at CCSC forum on the best procedures to go about making it. I remember you posted once explaining to me on how you go about it but I can not find that post now for the life of me.

Link- http://www.coppercustomstillcomponents. ... =96&t=2913

Would be most appreciated if you could put some input in to help us. :8)
my pet is a CCSC copper flute, I feed it corn and it pisses likker like a pony....
Copperhead road

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:23 pm

Hey Copperhead Road, I followed your link but couldn't post as I'm not a member, but I have no problems with your posting this on CCSC.
While I guess some grappa makers user white grape pomace, which comes pressed unfermented, we've been using red grape pomace, which has been fermented as crushed, pulp, skins, seeds and all. I know that quality and process varies all over the map, but here's what we do, and feedback has been excellent, maybe especially from folks that have tasted the native Italian stuff.

Because the pomace is pretty dry, and therefore susceptible to molding (that's why you punch down the cap making red wines), we add about 15 gallons of 1.050 sugar water to a 55 gallon barrel of dry pomace. Every day for about a month, we pump liquid from the bottom of the barrel over the pomace at the top, both to keep it moist without molding, and to promote moist fermentation over all the pomace, remembering that red wine pomace is loaded with whatever yeast the winemaker pitched for his wine.
After about a month, we pump some (maybe 4 gallons, enough so the still doesn't run dry and just a bit more) of the liquid off the bottom of the barrel into a 15 gallon propane-fired potstill with a false bottom installed, after which the still boiler is shoveled full of moist fermented pomace. Then we do a fairly slow stripping run, removing only heads. All the pomace is then shoveled back out of the still and the low wines from the first run are poured back into the now-empty still. Again, the still is shoveled full of moist pomace and maybe a bit more of the liquid from the fermenter. As before, run the still slowly, discarding the heads. Shovel out the spent pomace.
By the third and last run, you should have enough low wines to give you all the liquid you need to put in the still, and yest agin shovel the still full of moist fresh pomace. Again run the still slowly (this is the spirit run) discarding heads and also tails, according to taste.
To some those 3 runs may seem a waste of time, but to me, the increase in both smoothness and depth of flavor are well worth it. We proof this to 100 proof, and it sells pretty well.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

Zymurgy Bob

Postby The Baker » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Thanks, Zymurgy Bob,

ONE day I hope to make some grappa and this is a really practical explanation of how you do it.

I am just a bit uncertain of the proportions in the sugar water...

And would you do it differently for white pomace, or a mixture of the two?

I have hopes of getting some from the local winery and it could be either (at different times?) or quite probably mixed.

Geoff
The Baker

Equipment type: Pot still

Postby The Baker » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:33 pm

Back again, Bob and Copperhead and all.

This was an inspiration and has not been thought through...

I do not have the kind of still that could be 'shovelled out'.

But suppose the (U.S. 55 gallon) barrel (or a similar smaller one...) was stainless (or copper; dream on! Though I have half a copper one with a worm in it...);

With a full size lid; then I could put some of the liquid in the boiler and use the barrel as a thumper, yes?

So I will be looking out for barrels like that and who knows?! No pomace for maybe nine months...

Geoff (excited)
The Baker

Postby Copperhead road » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:15 pm

@ Zymurgy Bob, :wink:

Thanks heaps mate, I plan on copie and pasting your procedure over there (if that’s ok) and having a crack at Grappa the way you do it.

Thanx again mate much appreciated. :8)

Now I am off to source some red grape pomice and plan on following your procedure/recipe to a Tee. :D

https://www.austflavor.com.au/products

Hopefully I will end up with a fine Grappa on the table (fingers crossed)

@Baker Geoff I am excited also...... :roflmao:
Copperhead road

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:38 am

The Baker wrote:Thanks, Zymurgy Bob,

ONE day I hope to make some grappa and this is a really practical explanation of how you do it.

I am just a bit uncertain of the proportions in the sugar water...

And would you do it differently for white pomace, or a mixture of the two?

I have hopes of getting some from the local winery and it could be either (at different times?) or quite probably mixed.

Geoff

The sugar concentration was for a density (SG) of 1.050 g/ml, or a brix of 12.6 (12.6% by weight sugar in the solution) or 135 grams per liter total solution volume, if I did the math right.

The biggest difference between red and white is that the red pomace is already partially fermented and has lots of yeast in it, while the white requires pitching yeast and doing a full fermentation.

I hadn't thought of it, but I bet your pomace-in-the-thumper trick would work. The trick is always liquid management so you get all the ethanol off the pomace without boiling dry.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby The Baker » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:08 am

Copperhead Road, that web reference, as I suppose you know, is NOT for pomace.
Pomace is what is left after the winemaker has crushed the grapes, though the 'concentrate for sweetening in wine-making' could be better than the sugar in Bob's process (having the natural grape flavour and composition).
But probably a lot more expensive....
So I guess there will be no more pomace in Australia until next season's grapes are picked and crushed; I wouldn't be "off to source some pomace" yet, and a winemaker is the one who would have it.
And that gives me at least three months (not the nine months I said before) to watch out for a stainless drum.
Geoff
The Baker

Postby zedzedtop » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:55 am

Pomace is what's left over after the grapes have been pressed. You're about 6 months out of season in terms of sourcing any in the southern hemisphere.....
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby Copperhead road » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:15 pm

The Baker wrote:Copperhead Road, that web reference, as I suppose you know, is NOT for pomace.
Pomace is what is left after the winemaker has crushed the grapes, though the 'concentrate for sweetening in wine-making' could be better than the sugar in Bob's process (having the natural grape flavour and composition).
But probably a lot more expensive....
So I guess there will be no more pomace in Australia until next season's grapes are picked and crushed; I wouldn't be "off to source some pomace" yet, and a winemaker is the one who would have it.
And that gives me at least three months (not the nine months I said before) to watch out for a stainless drum.
Geoff

Thanks baker, looks like I will have to wait 6 months.
Copperhead road

Next

Return to Welcome New User