• Advertisement

Pesticides on seed

Here is the place to say hello to our newest member.
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Pesticides on seed

Postby Hilltop » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:55 am

I have been scratching my head on this for years, " do pesticides carry through distillation?"

Most folks use feed corn or feed wheat which may not have the germination power or starches as for example a bag of elbon rye seed. The seed is made to germinate. Being I've been around farms all my life and i'm quite aware, no matter what bs about organic some may espout, that almost all grain has some type of pesticide or fungacide on them. Most seed for example is sprayed with a pesticide so weavles don't eat it up in the bag which makes for a higher germination rate.

So most think using feed wheat or feed corn is the answer! Wrong, as it gets it in the field. Feed Corn, Wheat, Oats etc, are also a far inferior seed than say Mississippi sweet corn or Oklahoma Elbon rye. Some sweet corn has double the sugar starch content than feed corn. Feed corn is the stuff we grow to feed hogs, deer and these damn chicken houses that are popping up everywhere.

In short, we don't eat that shit nor should we want to drink it either. So that leaves us with seed varitys that are made to sell as seed. Almost every damn one has the pesticide treatment on bags sold as seed.

Pesticides may in fact be the blame for alot of the health problems associated with our food supply. The stuff is an evil witches brew of concoctions and potions dreamed up in the minds of evil genius. Some of them are sought out by the likes of Iran and North Korea.

Ok I'm done, but with that said, what is the consensus about pesticides being carried through distillation and componded in it's process? It should be every whisky distillers dream to grow his own grain because until he does, he will really never know what exactly is in his end product. :barf:
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
Hilltop

Equipment type: Small pot stiller

Re: Pesticides on seed

Postby Buddy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:03 am

I've also always wondered when I see Vodka advertised as being gluten free. Does gluten pass thru a still?
Mama told me to never drink unless I was alone or with somebody.
"It's only for medicinal porpoises."
Buddy

Equipment type: 8 Gallon Hybrid Stainless

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:17 am

As far as pesticides making it through the still, we know that a lot of flavors, maybe especially in whiskeys, are fairly large organic molecules, so I wouldn't be stunned to hear that pesticides, some of which are also large organic molecules, can make it through the still.

I'm still not sure about gluten, but strongly suspect that it doesn't get through the still.

Since all the grains we're currently using are commercial barley malts, which are raised for malting, what do we figure their pesticide load is?
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Hilltop » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:21 am

I'm talking about grain for malting purposes, I forgot to mention that, but it applies to all grain. I have no idea about Gluton. Distillation compounds some things and brings out others. What effect would it have on pesticide or the farmers favorite potion "Roundup."

I can't help myself at the feed store, the guy up their thinks I'm nuts, because I'm always reading the bags. Things like sweet feed, scare the hell out of me. Sweet feed is a concoction of various feed grains mixed with molasses. Trust me when I say buy the oats etc and make your own sweet feed.

Deer corn is a basic field corn variety that was commingly grown for animal feed. Any basic sweet corn seed will give you double what feed corn will.

Hilltop

Postby Hilltop » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:26 am

Zymurgy Bob wrote:As far as pesticides making it through the still, we know that a lot of flavors, maybe especially in whiskeys, are fairly large organic molecules, so I wouldn't be stunned to hear that pesticides, some of which are also large organic molecules, can make it through the still.

I'm still not sure about gluten, but strongly suspect that it doesn't get through the still.

Since all the grains we're currently using are commercial barley malts, which are raised for malting, what do we figure their pesticide load is?

I'm malting my own, since barley evidently doesn't grow in my area it's not stocked in feed stores as such I'm malting wheat, elbon rye and corn. My future batches will be all malt. I don't order much through the mail as I don't trust it. I try to buy what I need locally. My state is a strong anti moonshining state

Hilltop

Postby sasquatch » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:36 am

I believe it will leave a micro print on the DNA.
Quality of seed and flavour will be developed from growing standards.
Chemical fertilizers focus on NPK and nothing else.
Micro nutrients are no where to be found in that feeding program.

I switched over to non-chemical feeding my gardens about 5 years ago and the first few years were bad.
After rebuilding the nutrients back up in the soil over a few years my garden produces food far superior then before.

Chemicals of any sort that is foreign to a plant will not be taken up by the plant and absorbed into it.
These chemicals hitch a ride on the fruit/seed by attaching themselves to the surface.
Because its a foreign substance to the plant the plant will try to reject it by not absorbing it.
Instead the foreign substance hitch hikes rides on the surface of the seed/fruit.

I have read that washing fruit/veg in apple cider vinegar will remove the unwanted hitchhikers from the surface of the fruit/veg.

Growing up on a large farm did some damage to my bodies health from improper chemical use.
There were no warning labels back then telling us how dangerous these things were.
They (chemi-corps) were getting away with murder.

Gluten does carry over in beer.
sasquatch

Postby Hilltop » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:23 am

sasquatch wrote:I believe it will leave a micro print on the DNA.
Quality of seed and flavour will be developed from growing standards.
Chemical fertilizers focus on NPK and nothing else.
Micro nutrients are no where to be found in that feeding program.

I switched over to non-chemical feeding my gardens about 5 years ago and the first few years were bad.
After rebuilding the nutrients back up in the soil over a few years my garden produces food far superior then before.

Chemicals of any sort that is foreign to a plant will not be taken up by the plant and absorbed into it.
These chemicals hitch a ride on the fruit/seed by attaching themselves to the surface.
Because its a foreign substance to the plant the plant will try to reject it by not absorbing it.
Instead the foreign substance hitch hikes rides on the surface of the seed/fruit.

I have read that washing fruit/veg in apple cider vinegar will remove the unwanted hitchhikers from the surface of the fruit/veg.

Growing up on a large farm did some damage to my bodies health from improper chemical use.
There were no warning labels back then telling us how dangerous these things were.
They (chemi-corps) were getting away with murder.

Gluten does carry over in beer.

:!: Yeah I did too growing up Sasquatch, I bathed in just about every chemical known to man, it's a wonder we don't have 11 toes and a tail by now. I once worked around a chemical called 4 adp that scared me to death especially when they told me it's in aspirin. All these refinerys and Chemical plants can't be good for ones health, but alas, one has to make a dollar.

Had to wear a space suit just to go near the stuff.

I'm soaking then pouring my water off my rye now, after a 24 hour soak I will wash it again and spread it out on my board to malt. I guess we will just keep washing it as what else can one do if he doesn't grow his own grain? Even if you grow it yourself not using pesticides especially with corn wont leave ya much as bugs will get most

Hilltop

Postby punkin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:56 pm

hat.jpg

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Pa_bon » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:02 pm

Punkin, you "Do" have a way without words. Funny.
Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
An echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Postby punkin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Just tend to say it as i see it. I know sometimes i shouldn't....

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:40 pm

About gluten, which is maybe a little off topic to the subject - it doesn't carry over with the distillation, but the product can become contaminated due to cross contamination, a puke, or intentional addition of backset to the product. Gluten is a protein which, from what I understand, doesn't vaporize.

My wife and daughter both have Celiac disease. They've never had reactions (other than drunkenness) from drinking even cheap vodka. I would guess that advertising a vodka as gluten free is probably just a marketing ploy.

Must agree with Punkin about the pesticides. I'll probably die some day for some reason or other.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Kareltje » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:57 pm

If you die you will not know before it happens.
Kareltje

Postby sasquatch » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:25 pm

Push the tinfoil hat all you want. All that shows me is a blocked mind.

Wait till your gut gets over exposed (like us old school farm boys) and see how much you like it when you are curled up in the fetal position for a few hours every morning.
Try taking 12 craps a morning before lunch. In your early 20's.
At that point the tin foil gets shoved up the ass for relief.

I left fast enough and had enough money and sense to fix the issues that the farm gave me.
After 7 years of Dr.s saying there is nothing wrong with you while I was slowly dying I had to go to a natural path and spend thousand of dollars and years of strict diet to reverse the damage.

But hey. if it doesn't happen to you then it must not be real, right?
Shit like this piss's me off.
sasquatch

Postby Tracker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:03 am

Quote sasquatch,

I have read that washing fruit/veg in apple cider vinegar will remove the unwanted hitchhikers from the surface of the fruit/veg. end Quote.

Not wanting to start up any sort of feud here but this statement does not ring true to me also the word Chemical has a bad habit of being used to describe anything portrayed to be un-safe.
In reality the particular products being discussed here could be described as being either Herbicides, Insecticides, Fungicides or a myriad of other xxxicides.
Then the method of operation of these products can be contact, residual or translocated ( or a combination) which describes the method of action on or throughout the target plant.
Generalisations such as this one only serve to muddy the waters in what could be a valuable conversation on an important topic.

An elderly work partner of mine (when talking to farmers regarding the safe handling of these products) would often mention that one of the most dangerous things that they would come into contact with during their work day and would kill them stone dead was Water. Then went on to say "Just try holding your head under it for long enough". By the way, water is of course a mixture of 2 dangerous chemicals being Oxygen and Hydrogen

Treat everything with the respect it deserves.
Peace to you all.

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:50 am

Exactly the point Tracker. Many things can kill you if mishandled. If I drive my car carelessly, I might die as a result. It's fairly common knowledge that many harmful chemicals can be absorbed into the skin, so it would make good common sense to wear appropriate protection when handling them. If someone knows of the danger of something and purposely doesn't point it out to those handling it, then that person would be a criminal.

At some point we have to draw a line and operate on faith. I won't stop driving my car for fear of having an accident and I won't stop eating food for fear of poisoning myself. If I had such an unreasonable fear of all things potentially harmful, I wouldn't drink alcohol.
S-Cackalacky

Next

Return to Welcome New User