• Advertisement

Hi from UK

Here is the place to say hello to our newest member.
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Hi from UK

Postby janda » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:12 am

Hi all, I have been brewing extract beer for years and now into all grain. When I saw a picture of a Bokakob I saw I had the boiler for distillation.So I made my first column and a potstill head. That was two years ago and this year I built a 2" SS column on a SS barrel. I also have a 4L spirit still made of a SS pressure cooker and kenwood mixer bowl inverted. I'd been driving by a building site where they were using using barrels to mark out the plots so I asked for two and they gave me them!! At the moment I am into making neutrals and gin and have made 13 gins and have a few 'whiskies' aging as per this forum. I think I'm beginning to get closer to producing what I think is good but still a way to go if you'll forgive the pun! My best results are sloe gin and lemoncello .
janda

Equipment type: Bokabob 2", SS column. 50L boiler. 4L spirit potstill.

Re: Hi from UK

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:36 am

Welcome in janda. Sounds like you're off to a good start. The AG brewing will certainly give you a leg up.

Good luck to you and stay safe.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Rebel_Yell » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:57 am

Welcome Janda. You are on the right path.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby Buddy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:42 am

Welcome Aboard :beer:
Mama told me to never drink unless I was alone or with somebody.
"It's only for medicinal porpoises."
Buddy

Equipment type: 8 Gallon Hybrid Stainless

Postby janda » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:33 am

Thanks for the welcome guys

Here are the latest stills.
First is the spirit still with potstill head. I boil it on a single 1500W hob. Note the line up to the ceiling to support it! it also serves to remove the BIAB bag from the Mash tun
Second is the 2" Boka with three KW element controlled from the box on the worktop which has a TPSR (temp controlled solid state relay but I use it as an SSR, resister controlled) and a wattage/voltage/current display The barrel behind is for sugar washes it sits on a heated base with a heater belt as well ,suitably insulated, and temp controlled by an STC 1000.
Just on the left is the mash tun ex original boiler and the plastic fermenter is for beer/wine.
Question I have just raised the insulation to now end just below the top of the column is this the right thing to do?
Attachments
IMG_20170114_143325.jpg
IMG_20170916_111123.jpg
janda

Postby Y1969 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:01 pm

Hello colleague. You have a good laboratory.
---
I thought I did not understand American English. It turns out that British English I do not understand too. It is known that real chemists (alchemists) used to write dissertations and conduct disputes in Latin. Can introduce this into practice?
---
Do you have cranberries in England? Wild cranberries? Not from the store? Lemoncello - rubbish Try the cranberry tincture. Make it 40% voluminous. A fabulous drink.
Y1969

Equipment type: packed column

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:55 am

Y1969 wrote:Do you have cranberries in England? Wild cranberries? Not from the store? Lemoncello - rubbish Try the cranberry tincture. Make it 40% voluminous. A fabulous drink.

We have a (wild) cranberry bog a couple of miles from us. I like the idea of a cranberry tincture.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Y1969 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Zymurgy Bob wrote:We have a (wild) cranberry bog a couple of miles from us. I like the idea of a cranberry tincture.

This page is from the official document on the preparation of Russian spirits. This document was guided when preparing tinctures for General Secretary of the CPSU Leonid Brezhnev.
I will translate.
Alcoholized fruit is a tincture of fruits and berries. Semifinished product for making blends.
Морс первого слива - is the first pouring of fruits and berries.
Морс второго слива - is the second pouring of fruits and berries.
All sizes are metric.
For 1 kg of cranberries you need 990 ml (liter, if rounded) 60% vol alcohol solution. After soaking , the juice of the berry dilutes the alcohol and we get 38-42% vol tincture.
The berries press a little. Not much. Do not grind. They need to crack a little. Pour the necessary volume of alcohol solution. Water to take a soft, with a minimum amount of calcium and magnesium. Do not use water after the membrane filter. It is better to take from a creek.
Prepare the tincture only in a glass container. Store in a cool (15-20 Celsius) place and darkness. Infuse for 2 weeks and give through a rag. The pressed berry mix with sugar in the ratio of 1 kg of berries and 100 grams of sugar. Sugar will extract the remains of alcohol from the cake. It will take another week.
Mix the first tincture with the syrup from the second tincture to taste. Usually I mix in a ratio of 10 to 1.

The prepared tincture is considered a semi-finished product. It is used as a component of beverages, sweet liqueurs, vodkas. But, as it turned out, this tincture is delicious in itself.

Drink is just fabulous. It is drunk as a compote. With hoofs, it falls like a village moonshine. It is very good to pour the ladies. They do not immediately realize that this is a real strong vodka.
----
But such a berry in your area grows?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_vitis-idaea
It's a bomb in general !!! This is just a miracle!!!!
Attachments
p0063.jpg
proportions of berries and alcohol
Y1969

Equipment type: packed column

Postby janda » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:52 am

Hey that sounds interesting. I think some foraging is in order. I'm always keen to try new flavours. Thanks for the info.
janda

Postby Parch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:21 pm

Nice distiller setup!
Parch

Return to Welcome New User