• Advertisement

Hello from Halifax..... England

Here is the place to say hello to our newest member.
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Hello from Halifax..... England

Postby GinHead » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:58 am

Hi everyone,

I'm doing my first sugar wash with the Still Spirits Turbo Yeast pack. Didn't get the right readings (980?) but it's been going for 10 days now, so i'm going to distil it with the air still and see how it goes. Sugar is cheap, right?

I'm in contact with a chap about having a copper reflux still being made for me to attach to my pressure cooker (not looking forward to boring a 2" hole through 4mm steel).

Could anyone recommend a still for home use? I have around £250 to play with.

Many thanks,

-GH
GinHead

Re: Hello from Halifax..... England

Postby punkin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi mate and welcome.

WeHaveYourAshesPunkin

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Pikey » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi Ginhead, There's a few of us here from uk I'm a couple hours or so South of you.

Come inside and tell us what spirit you want to make and whether you have any solder skills etc - we'll see if we can help you. :)
Pikey

Postby Squint » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:11 pm

Welcome to AD Ginhead, tis a great place you found here,

members from across the globe,

one or two come from the land down under,

punkin wrote:Hi mate and welcome.

WeHaveYourAshesPunkin

keeptheurnpolishedpleaseSquint
Squint

Equipment type: It's all gone to a new home,

Sad, really Sad I am.

Postby GinHead » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:31 pm

Pikey wrote:Hi Ginhead, There's a few of us here from uk I'm a couple hours or so South of you.

Come inside and tell us what spirit you want to make and whether you have any solder skills etc - we'll see if we can help you. :)

My soldering skills are non existent, usually fortunately, but Im good with my hands and know my way around a tool shed.

I think that I'm looking for a list of parts and a diagram. I think I know what I want, I just need a guiding hand.
GinHead

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:18 am

Take a look in some of the build threads, here and other forums, to get some ideas. A build can be as simple or as difficult as you make it. If you want to make whiskey, rum, or brandy, a simple pot still is all you need to start with. If you are looking to make neutral spirits (vodka), you may want to go for a reflux still. For a reflux still, a CCVM (Condenser Controlled Vapor Management) still is as simple to build and use as it gets.

Soldering copper is a fairly simple process. Take a look on Youtube for some simple tutorials. Stainless steel can also be soldered, but is a bit more complicated - but doable.

The money you have should be enough to build a good still. Do some reading and research first so that you spend it wisely.

Good luck and stay safe.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Pikey » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:10 pm

S-Cackalacky wrote:Take a look in some of the build threads, here and other forums, to get some ideas. A build can be as simple or as difficult as you make it. If you want to make whiskey, rum, or brandy, a simple pot still is all you need to start with. If you are looking to make neutral spirits (vodka), you may want to go for a reflux still. For a reflux still, a CCVM (Condenser Controlled Vapor Management) still is as simple to build and use as it gets.

Soldering copper is a fairly simple process. Take a look on Youtube for some simple tutorials. Stainless steel can also be soldered, but is a bit more complicated - but doable.

The money you have should be enough to build a good still. Do some reading and research first so that you spend it wisely.

Good luck and stay safe.

Note also that if you go soldering stainless, you will find references to "Harris staybrite" or some such. You will do your brains trying to find this in uk - You want "Bakers Fluid - No 3" or it may be No 2 - it says in the adverts which is suitable.
Pikey

Postby Y1969 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:57 pm

GinHead wrote:Could anyone recommend a still for home use? I have around £250 to play with.
Many thanks,
-GH

£ 250?
you can not buy a decent device for such a sum. At least - in Russia it is impossible. It will be rubbish.
A normal packed column is excluded. This is unambiguous. You can try an ordinary apparatus for making whiskey.
If you, sir, still want normal vodka, then you need to talk about 75 000 - 120 000 Russian rubles (1000-1500 pounds sterling). I was sorry to pay such money, I myself, using argon welding, made quite a decent device. Materials cost no more than 10 000 rubles (130 pounds sterling).
Do not use copper, just use stainless steel. Many details can be found in the garbage - kegs from beer, pipes, flanges.
Then you need to automate. I did it myself. On the ATMega platform, then I migrate to the ARM platform. It's all simple. You can take a penny Arduino for the experiments. Immediately erase the loader Arduino from it and write the program uses Atmel studio or use any free compiler. The manuals for Atmel are written for idiots, and any interested student can figure it out. Just do not mess with the Arduino development environment. That's horrible.
Then you need access to a gas chromatograph to do an analysis of the alcohol. You can sniff or try, but it's a rustic way, we reject it.
Self-mastering is a very interesting activity. But it requires either a lot of money or hands that do not grow out of asshole.
When I was working on the moonshine, I remembered the university course of mathematics, heat engineering ... I remembered what a FFT is, the Reynolds criterion, etc. ...
---
In England for moonshine now in prison do not put? I read Dickens - in England what's wrong - at once to the gallows.
Y1969

Equipment type: packed column

Return to Welcome New User