• Advertisement

Hi from Pa.

Here is the place to say hello to our newest member.
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Re: Hi from Pa.

Postby Suzukidave » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:00 am

This last batch thats just about ready to run i mixed up just a bit differently than i had been doing . Other batches ran out tasteing good both silver and on oak chips but the ending ABV of the base would never get close to the .000 so i knew there was extra to be made still in the mix . This last batch i added a teaspoon of Amylase and a crushed up multivitamin and a cup of the leftover off the bottom of the last ferment to each bottle along with the bread yeast already started . I checked the reading on the bottles after they stopped fermenting the other day and they were all right at .000 for the first time . I cannot say what i added extra to the mix did the trick to get the ferment to finish but looks like it should be somewhere around 13% abv . Now to see what the finish product tastes like as thats what its all about :)
Suzukidave

Postby Suzukidave » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:14 am

IMG_0615.JPG
Well yesterday afternoon i got everything out and made ready for another run of Rum , i have made it part of the process once the still is assembled to put in a couple of gals of hot water and fire up the boiler to steam clean the internals and preheat all that copper pipe . With the smallish still i have it takes 3 runs to process the 15 gals of rum base so yall know the process of heating up to temp , getting the column up to speed , running and then washout for the next bottle ... takes some time :| .
Suzukidave

Postby Suzukidave » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:19 am

IMG_0620.JPG
I have been useing a process of stripping the first 5 gal of base to get about 1 gal of everything including tails and i dump that straight into the second bottle run . After i pull off all the strip from the second run i pour all of that into the 3rd bottle of base run and slow the still way down . This run i make the cuts ... the last 2 bottles are going into the tails for sure and after i let them set over night the first bottle just may join the heads and go into the recycle jar .
Suzukidave

Postby Suzukidave » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:25 am

I will do some tasting after the bottles have a chance to breath a bit to see what gets mixed in together and then proofed down to a drinkable 80~85 proof :beer:
Suzukidave

Postby Suzukidave » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:52 am

As i figured the last 2 bottles and the first bottle went into the recycle bottle and the rest mixed together for a gallon and a pint of full strength 145 proof , now to decide if i want to put it on chips or leave it clear :roll: should make 2 gallons proofed down .
Suzukidave

Postby Tdick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:44 pm

Thanks for the thread Dave & welcome!

You mentioned running some water through first to h clean up and heat up components.
Mine is a small 5 gallon copperpot:
5 Gal Copper Pot.jpg
(file photo)
5 Gal Copper Pot.jpg (18.94 KiB) Viewed 765 times

It had been a while since I had done a vinegar then water run, so Friday night I ran 3 gallons of water through and still had a vinegar smell in the air.
That was over 90 minutes on a gas stovetop. So I'm thinking I need to scrub it out again and run more water on my propane burner.
But question is even though a PITA if I should run maybe just a quart/ltr of water before adding my wash each time I make a run?
I'd probably just put the cap on without a "hard" paste up seal until I add the wash.
:idea: :roll:
Tdick

Equipment type: Copper 5 gallon pot still with thumper & worm.

Postby Suzukidave » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Hi T , thanx for the follow along on this newbe's rambles . I wonder if it would be helpful if you did a soak in a base like baking soda after the vinegar ( acid ) washout you did to get the copper back to neutral . I really do the water startup each time as i dont get to fire up my still very often so figure a steam out will not hurt anything and it warms up all the copper quickly with the boiling temp water . I have a quick drain on the bottom and a quick fill on the top so i dont have to take anything apart to do the switch .
Suzukidave

Postby Tdick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:23 pm

Suzukidave wrote:Hi T , thanx for the follow along on this newbe's rambles . I wonder if it would be helpful if you did a soak in a base like baking soda after the vinegar ( acid ) washout you did to get the copper back to neutral . I really do the water startup each time as i dont get to fire up my still very often so figure a steam out will not hurt anything and it warms up all the copper quickly with the boiling temp water . I have a quick drain on the bottom and a quick fill on the top so i dont have to take anything apart to do the switch .

It's been raining a few days and all my bins are full. Supposed to rain several more days so I filled my pot up and left it outside to flush out so to speak.
Then I'll run some rain water through it.
:beer: :beer:
Tdick

Equipment type: Copper 5 gallon pot still with thumper & worm.

Postby Suzukidave » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 am

Sounds like a plan T :) Have you made any runs through your still ?
Suzukidave

Postby Suzukidave » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:38 pm

IMG_0667.JPG
2 gals of fresh run 85 proofed rum next to a gal thats been infused with Jack Daniels wood chips for a month .
Suzukidave

Postby Suzukidave » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:39 pm

IMG_0687.JPG
And after a week the 2 fresh bottles on chips .
Suzukidave

Postby punkin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:45 pm

If you move from chips to dominoes your results will improve.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Suzukidave » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:55 pm

punkin wrote:If you move from chips to dominoes your results will improve.
Thanx for that tip .. i will try that when i run out of these chips . I saw them in a Lowes and grabbed a couple of bags , they sure smell good :)
Suzukidave

Postby Pa_bon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:30 pm

You won't regret the switch!
Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
An echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Postby Buddy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:17 am

How do the dominoes compare with the Barrel Aged in a Bottle Oak Infusion Spirals sold at Amazon?
Anyone tried both to compare?
Mama told me to never drink unless I was alone or with somebody.
"It's only for medicinal porpoises."
Buddy

Equipment type: 8 Gallon Hybrid Stainless

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome New User