• Advertisement

Looking forward to a new hobby

Here is the place to say hello to our newest member.
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Looking forward to a new hobby

Postby Yonder » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:37 pm

For at type "A" retirement just doesn't seem to work well. Been trying my hand at the life 'o leisure here in the only State that was ever a country and just can't sit still. Got myself a nice 10 gal pot now and waitin' for the weather to warm up. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on, all the classics, all the forums, and you tubes I can find. I look forward to interacting with y'all and taking advantage of your smarts. :beer:
Yonder

Equipment type: 10 gal copper pot w/ thumper

Re: Looking forward to a new hobby

Postby just sayin' » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:21 am

Welcome Yonder! Your new hobby will give you something new to learn for years to come, enjoy your journey!
just sayin'

Postby Suzukidave » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:06 am

Hi Yonder , for me starting with a pot still and the easier mashes like sugar mash or the Rum was satisfying for me as they are easy to follow through and turn out a nice usable result :roll:
Suzukidave

Postby Bounty Hunter 0059 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:47 pm

Yonder

This hobby can be addicting I started out brewing beer thirty years ago then wine and mead. Now built a couple of pot stills about 8 years ago from plans I found here. Ask the questions this group will pass on the knowledge
Bounty Hunter 0059

There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity !
Bounty Hunter 0059

Equipment type: Couple of 6 gallon copper potstills

Postby Tdick » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:39 am

Yonder wrote:For at type "A" retirement just doesn't seem to work well. Been trying my hand at the life 'o leisure here in the only State that was ever a country and just can't sit still. Got myself a nice 10 gal pot now and waitin' for the weather to warm up. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on, all the classics, all the forums, and you tubes I can find. I look forward to interacting with y'all and taking advantage of your smarts. :beer:

Welcome Yonder!
I can certainly relate to your story. 64, Retired more than I wanna be.
Got a 5 Gallon Copper Pot w/Thumper
5 Gal Copper Pot.jpg
5 Gal Copper Pot.jpg (18.94 KiB) Viewed 586 times

(file photo)

I got curious watching "THAT show", started watching Youtubes and created a pretty long shopping list on Amazon & Ebay ie Airlocks and Turbo Yeast.
Then I got to the Forums and was able to delete most of those items.
So,
Attachments
Welcome Down The Rabbit Hole.jpg
Welcome Down The Rabbit Hole.jpg (6.14 KiB) Viewed 586 times
Tdick

Equipment type: Copper 5 gallon pot still with thumper & worm.

Postby fizzix » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:55 am

Yonder wrote:For at type "A" retirement just doesn't seem to work well. Been trying my hand at the life 'o leisure here in the only State that was ever a country and just can't sit still. Got myself a nice 10 gal pot now and waitin' for the weather to warm up. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on, all the classics, all the forums, and you tubes I can find. I look forward to interacting with y'all and taking advantage of your smarts. :beer:

I used to tell my son when he was idle that I hadn't been bored since 1972. Point is, every man needs a hobby (or 6) whether he's a type "A" or otherwise. This is a good one!
Get an electric set up, find a corner in the basement, and weather be damned if you get impatient.
I'm too new here to give a formal welcome, so I'll just say "Hello" to a bird of a feather.
Good stillin' to you, Yonder!
"And when you lose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown." -Dogs, Pink Floyd
fizzix

Postby Yonder » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:15 am

Thanks for the warm, friendly welcome folks. Makes me feel like diggin in to the community. I'm 64 as well and never, ever too old to learn a new a trick or two. Tdick, That 5 gal set up looks strangely like it came from vengeance. Tell me how the fact that the cap sits outside the cape instead of inside affects the seal, if you will. Seems like the distillate would flow down outside and ruin your paste? Wisht i could run in the garage but it gets into the 50's in there at night....gotta wait.
FWIW i just found local HEB stores sell cracked corn as bird seed, no preservatives, at .50 a pound. Perfect for my first small batches. And no records :D
Damn, I love this country.
Yonder

Postby Tdick » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:31 am

Yonder wrote:Thanks for the warm, friendly welcome folks. Makes me feel like diggin in to the community.
I'm 64 as well and never, ever too old to learn a new a trick or two.

64 is a Damn Fine Age Yonder!

Yonder wrote:Tdick, That 5 gal set up looks strangely like it came from vengeance.
Tell me how the fact that the cap sits outside the cape instead of inside affects the seal, if you will.
Seems like the distillate would flow down outside and ruin your paste?

I know nothing to compare it to. But it's tight fit. I'm experimenting with a sheet of silicone & a clamp (not in contact with alcohol!

Yonder wrote:Wisht i could run in the garage but it gets into the 50's in there at night....gotta wait.

I'm in the Deep South!. It's been hi 40's, lows in the 20's. Last night in the 20's, right now it's 50 going to 65. Friday high of 45, dropping to 30.
I get it.

Yonder wrote:FWIW i just found local HEB stores sell cracked corn as bird seed, no preservatives, at .50 a pound. Perfect for my first small batches. And no records :D
Damn, I love this country.

My local Feed Store sells 50# cracked corn for $15 (.30). Also got 50 # bags of Wheat ($16) & Barley ($18?) and learned to malt.
Not sure how good I am at it, so I add Alpha Amalyse in my AG.
Just pay cash.

:mg: :mg:
Attachments
Jimbos Mash.jpg
Tdick

Equipment type: Copper 5 gallon pot still with thumper & worm.

Postby Yonder » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:52 pm

Lookin' good! Old guys rule, especially here in the South. And yeah, cash is king.
Yonder

Return to Welcome New User