• Advertisement

Hi From the Netherlands

Here is the place to say hello to our newest member.
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Re: Hi From the Netherlands

Postby Kareltje » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:22 pm

catslab wrote:Sorry :) We always refer to Hollande in France, not Nederlands nor Netherlands.
Beloofd, ik zal het niet nog een keer doen!

En France on dit Pays Bas. Et l'adjectif est Neerlandais.
Dank je!

I looked it up in all dictionaries: EVERY European language has different words for the Netherlands and Holland.
But I shamefully must admit: even a lot of Dutch people make the mistake.

(Imagine: our own prime-minister saying Holland and the German Bondskanselier Merkel in a reply saying die Niederlände. :oops: )
Kareltje
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: Hi From the Netherlands

Postby Y1969 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:04 am

I long embarrassed the word "Dutch". I kept thinking - what's with Denmark? But then everything cleared up. It should be noted that neither in Denmark nor the Netherlands can not prepare a good vodka, so from the point of view of preparing alcoholic beverages - there is no difference. Beer - can cook. And vodka - no.
For completeness, it should be noted that beer in the city of Prague (Czech Republic) I liked more than beer in Amsterdam (the Netherlands)
Y1969
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:10 am
Location: Moscow, Russia
Equipment type: packed column

Re: Hi From the Netherlands

Postby catslab » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Kareltje wrote:En France on dit Pays Bas. Et l'adjectif est Neerlandais.
Dank je!

Depends ;) I'm born and raised in the south where we might talk a bit different.
My first gf was from Nederlands and taught me the difference between dutch and deutsch but never slapped because I was talking about Hollande and there are even sites invinting you to travel to Holland ! https://www.holland.com

Joking aside, I have to speedup the boiler construction :)
catslab
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:50 pm
Location: North at your right hand after the river.
Equipment type: About to build a new one.

Re: Hi From the Netherlands

Postby Kareltje » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:57 pm

Y1969 wrote:I long embarrassed the word "Dutch". I kept thinking - what's with Denmark? But then everything cleared up. It should be noted that neither in Denmark nor the Netherlands can not prepare a good vodka, so from the point of view of preparing alcoholic beverages - there is no difference. Beer - can cook. And vodka - no.
For completeness, it should be noted that beer in the city of Prague (Czech Republic) I liked more than beer in Amsterdam (the Netherlands)

I guess some translation went a bit wrong, as it does from Russian to Dutch or English. :D
Now I understand your confusion about Danmark.
No, nor we nor the Danes do make good wodka, but we Dutch make good jenever!
And we make quite a well sold Pilsner too.
Kareltje
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: Hi From the Netherlands

Postby Kareltje » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:06 pm

catslab wrote:
Kareltje wrote:En France on dit Pays Bas. Et l'adjectif est Neerlandais.
Dank je!

Depends ;) I'm born and raised in the south where we might talk a bit different.
My first gf was from Nederlands and taught me the difference between dutch and deutsch but never slapped because I was talking about Hollande and there are even sites invinting you to travel to Holland ! https://www.holland.com

Joking aside, I have to speedup the boiler construction :)

I once asked a Dutch ministerie why it used Holland in stead of the Netherlands. The answer was: For serious subjects we use the Netherlands, but if it does not really is important, we use Holland. A company I asked gave more or less the same answer: we want to be taken serious, so we use the Netherlands/Pays Bas/die Niederlände.

The most shaming moment: when our prime minister Balkenende said Holland and Bundeskansler Merkel said die Niederlände. :oops: The leader of our government being corrected by a foreigner about the name of his own country!
Kareltje
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: Hi From the Netherlands

Postby Y1969 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:38 pm

Kareltje wrote:No, nor we nor the Danes do make good wodka, but we Dutch make good jenever!


Speaking of your national juniper beverage. Colleague, you could not recommend an authentic Dutch site, where the recipe is described in detail. I'm interested in spices that are used (in addition to juniper). I have long wanted to try to cook something juniper, but not classic gin. I do not have very pleasant memories with gin. Since the student days.
Y1969
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:10 am
Location: Moscow, Russia
Equipment type: packed column

Re: Hi From the Netherlands

Postby Kareltje » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:15 pm

Y1969 wrote:
Kareltje wrote:No, nor we nor the Danes do make good wodka, but we Dutch make good jenever!


Speaking of your national juniper beverage. Colleague, you could not recommend an authentic Dutch site, where the recipe is described in detail. I'm interested in spices that are used (in addition to juniper). I have long wanted to try to cook something juniper, but not classic gin. I do not have very pleasant memories with gin. Since the student days.

Colleague/mate, I will go looking for some recipes. Both for young and old genever. I made some of these a long time ago and I will search my paper file.
The real base is moutwijn: a distillate of malted barley, just like unaged whisky.

But at the moment I am going to sleep. Sorry.
Kareltje
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: Hi From the Netherlands

Postby catslab » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:40 pm

I guess the genever is the same they drink in north of France at the Belgium border :)
Like Genièvre de Loos.
Ahhh will be less dumb tonight!
Looks like peket or jenever was first a remedy and then a beverage that has been widely sold in England and then they english did gin.
Interesting !
catslab
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:50 pm
Location: North at your right hand after the river.
Equipment type: About to build a new one.

Re: Hi From the Netherlands

Postby Kareltje » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:32 pm

catslab wrote:I guess the genever is the same they drink in north of France at the Belgium border :)
Like Genièvre de Loos.
Ahhh will be less dumb tonight!
Looks like peket or jenever was first a remedy and then a beverage that has been widely sold in England and then they english did gin.
Interesting !

It seems you found out yourself! Well done!
Kareltje
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: Hi From the Netherlands

Postby Kareltje » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:42 pm

Y1969 wrote:
Kareltje wrote:No, nor we nor the Danes do make good wodka, but we Dutch make good jenever!


Speaking of your national juniper beverage. Colleague, you could not recommend an authentic Dutch site, where the recipe is described in detail. I'm interested in spices that are used (in addition to juniper). I have long wanted to try to cook something juniper, but not classic gin. I do not have very pleasant memories with gin. Since the student days.

I think we better make another topic for it: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10132
See you there.
Kareltje
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Previous

Return to Welcome New User

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests