• Advertisement

Hi from Ontario

Here is the place to say hello to our newest member.
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Hi from Ontario

Postby Magellan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:58 am

Hello everyone! Ive been a long time lurker here, and have probably read every single post on this forum. Not that I understand all of it, but I'm learning, and will most likely have a few questions on stuff that I still can't get my head around. Ive been distilling for a couple years now, and have made a few barrels of mash so far. Ive been using a five gallon pot still with a milk can boiler. It works well, but is quite slow to put a barrel of wash through. I spend a lot of time waiting for it to heat up between each pot. I'm hoping to build another unit that is larger if I can get the time to build it.
I have improved noticeably since my first attempt, and have turned out some decent drinkable product according to my friends, but there is still some room for improvement, especially with the aging part. I usually use corn in most of the mashes, but did do a 100% rye last fall which turned out really nice, but was a lot of work compared to using the corn, and the yeild was a lot lower as well.
I can't wait for it to warm up here so I can get going again, its been a long winter, and with any luck the last of the snow will be gone here in the next couple days, and I'll be up and running again.
Magellan

Equipment type: 5 gallon converted milk pot for now

Re: Hi from Ontario

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:34 am

welcome in Magellan. What kind of heat are you using with your boiler? Post some pics of your rig if you have a mind to.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Magellan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:14 am

Heres a pic of my rig, heated with propane. Not the greatest pic but all Ive got for now.

hres
Attachments
20160913_092617_1.jpg
Magellan

Postby punkin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Welcome, have access.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Addison » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:39 pm

Magellan wrote:Heres a pic of my rig, heated with propane. Not the greatest pic but all Ive got for now.

hres

Welcome Magellan and I love the simplicity of your rig.
How you get a rude and a reckless?
Don't you be so crude and feckless
You been drinking brew for breakfast
Rudie can't fail
Addison

Equipment type: Cheap and simple S/S 3-gallon pot still.

Postby Copperhead road » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Welcome in mate, great bunch of guys around these ways. :beer:
my pet is a CCSC copper flute, I feed it corn and it pisses likker like a pony....
Copperhead road

Postby Buddy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:59 pm

Welcome Aboard Magellan :beer:
Mama told me to never drink unless I was alone or with somebody.
"It's only for medicinal porpoises."
Buddy

Equipment type: 8 Gallon Hybrid Stainless

Postby The Baker » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:12 am

Hi. And welcome, Magellan.
I like the car-wheel boiler stand, I made one of those.
To me the tube from the boiler looks as though it could be a bit bigger diameter.
I haven't seen a condenser like that, how is it made??
Geoff
The Baker

Equipment type: Pot still

Postby Addison » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:55 pm

The Baker wrote:Hi. And welcome, Magellan.
To me the tube from the boiler looks as though it could be a bit bigger diameter.
Geoff

+1 If you're willing to share.
How you get a rude and a reckless?
Don't you be so crude and feckless
You been drinking brew for breakfast
Rudie can't fail
Addison

Equipment type: Cheap and simple S/S 3-gallon pot still.

Postby The Baker » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:29 am

Addison wrote:
The Baker wrote:Hi. And welcome, Magellan.
Geoff

+1 If you're willing to share.

What exactly would you like to share? I'm willing and I have grandchildren who can do pictures....

Geoff
The Baker

Postby Magellan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:57 am

I was given the setup by an older fella that had it given to him years ago. I'm guessing its about fifty years old at least. The burner is made from a truck rim and has a propane burner in the centre installed. The copper vapor tube is 3/8" copper tube, which goes into the condenser, I think if it was larger it would help speed things up for me. At the present time it takes about 4 1/2 hours to run a pot of wash through it. The condender is made from a piece of 3" copper with a 3/8" copper coil wound inside it. It seems to be extremely efficient and was overbuilt in my opinion. I'm sure it candle handle a lot more than it has ever seen.
It works very well overall, and if you don't mind the slow output, it can put out some very good product. I usually get 175-180 proof on my spirit runs when I do things right.
Magellan

Postby The Baker » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:43 am

It would be very little time and expense to replace that vapour tube with say 3/4".
If you put a lower support under the condenser and a higher one under that truck wheel (say two or four extra bricks) the whole thing will look neater and the vapour tube will need to be shorter (less expensive on what is a cheap job anyway).
And think of the time you will save.

Geoff
The Baker

Postby Suzukidave » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:45 pm

My thought would be to take the 3" tube and cut about 1/3 off , use the other 2/3 piece to make a nice tower and the other 1/3 piece to remake the condenser .
Suzukidave

Postby Magellan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:50 pm

I did think of building a different top with a 3/4" head on it as you suggest or even go as large as 1 1/4",I definetely think it would be better. But then I also wanted to make a larger complete boiler and head. I still hope to, I'm still scrounging up a few parts that I need.
Magellan

Postby Magellan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:55 pm

Suzukidave wrote:My thought would be to take the 3" tube and cut about 1/3 off , use the other 2/3 piece to make a nice tower and the other 1/3 piece to remake the condenser .

I could do that, and I have a spare piece of 3" about 18" long to do that with. I think when I go that route I will put it on about a 25-30 gallon boiler so I can run a larger wash each batch.
Keep the ideas coming fellas, I really appreciate them all.
Magellan

Next

Return to Welcome New User