• Advertisement

BOILER GASKETS

Here is the place to say hello to our newest member.
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

BOILER GASKETS

Postby JMJ » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:55 am

What is the best, most used, appropriate, boiler gasket being used by members here for stripping runs? If using the boiler for steam only would it make a difference what gasket you used? JM
JMJ

Re: BOILER GASKETS

Postby just sayin' » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:37 am

What are you using a for a steam boiler? For steam anything food safe is ok. For sealing alcohol vapors in your still boiler it gets thornier. Teflon plummer's tape seem to be universally accepted as safe. Many wrap other materials with tape. A big-ol-pot lid takes several layers to seal well.
More information will help give you a better answer.
just sayin'

Postby JMJ » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:14 am

Just sayin my boiler is a 15 gallon keg and it will be used for both stripping and steam. I'm working the the steam system now.
JMJ

Postby sasquatch » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:32 pm

I use a food grade gasket with a bead of caulking (floor/water) around the gasket inside where the stream hits the gasket. That way the gasket does the sealing and the caulking prevents the gasket from steam exposure. The inside edge of the gasket is cut shorter then going to the edge so the caulking has some room to sit.
And with pipe connections a tortilla.
sasquatch

Postby punkin » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:10 pm

Silicone is a great gasket material.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby rgreen2002 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:56 pm

JMJ

What size gasket are you looking for? Something small... like 4 inches or less or are you looking for a big 12 inch gasket or something?

http://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp-ptfe-gaskets.html I've always been partial to PTFE but I have to admit I don't have a vendetta against silicone

I have made many everlasting gaskets on the cheap and they have worked fine too: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24199

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24199 : here is one gasket I made. Check the whole post to see how young and silly I was back then!!

Hope this helps :mg:
"Me fail English... that's unpossible!"
rgreen2002

Equipment type: 4" flute - up to 5 plates (Bubble Cap and Sieve Plates available)

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:33 am

+1 on the everlasting gaskets. I've been using them on a stock pot boiler and thumper for a few years. Make them a little bigger than you need. They expand and contract a bit.
S-Cackalacky

Postby JMJ » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:39 am

rgreen2002 I did make a few of these don't look great but will see what happens when I give them a try. The glaciertank place had the gaskets I wanted. Unfortunately $6.00 worth of product cost over $15.00 to ship. Shipping is a killer these days.
JMJ

Postby Kareltje » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:43 pm

When I screw my lid firmly on my boiler, it does not leak. The lid in a former life was the thick, 3 layered bottom of a ss pan and the top of the boiler is a copper rim of a commercial hot water tank, so this was as expected.
Still I made a gasket of cardboard ring, cut in shape, and the PTFE-gas tape. As far as I can see it works, but it is hidden under the insulation of my boiler.
Kareltje

Postby zedzedtop » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:50 am

Silicone here too.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby dutchmancreek » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:37 pm

A tube of silicone acceptable for use in aquariums is inexpensive and commonly available. It works great for gaskets. I bought my last tube at a Lowes.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby DickCup » Wed May 10, 2017 2:00 pm

Teflon, silicone, or water/flour paste are all suitable.
DickCup

Equipment type: 5 gal 3500 watt boiler.
3" x 42" modular boka.

Postby Hilltop » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 pm

sasquatch wrote:I use a food grade gasket with a bead of caulking (floor/water) around the gasket inside where the stream hits the gasket. That way the gasket does the sealing and the caulking prevents the gasket from steam exposure. The inside edge of the gasket is cut shorter then going to the edge so the caulking has some room to sit.
And with pipe connections a tortilla.

A tortilla? Does it get hard as a ministers pecker too?
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
Hilltop

Equipment type: Small pot stiller

Postby Azframer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:30 pm

dutchmancreek wrote:A tube of silicone acceptable for use in aquariums is inexpensive and commonly available. It works great for gaskets. I bought my last tube at a Lowes.

+1 I used it on my BOP when I was running on my stove. You can't get and better food grade than the aquarium silicone.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Return to Welcome New User