• Advertisement

Today in the Shed volume II

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Re: Today in the Shed volume II

Postby Pa_bon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:01 am

If it can't be done formally, I understand. Thanks.
Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
An echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:40 am

Yesterday I rewired my 5 gallon stock pot boiler to upgrade from 120V to 240V service. Changed out the 12 gauge wire for 10 gauge and added a 3 prong male twist lock connector. This was in preparation for testing a newly built controller which I should be able to do at some point today.

I'll also be making an adapter cable so I can still run the boiler on 120V if I choose to do so. This adapter cable will have a 3 prong male 120V plug on one end of a 12 gauge cable and a 3 prong female twist lock receptacle on the other end. This cable should allow me to continue to run in the event that the controller craps out.
S-Cackalacky

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:53 am

Well, I guess that adapter cable might come in handy sooner than later. I hooked the controller up to the still, made sure I had the control knob turned all the way down, set the kill switch to "off", and plugged the power cord into the 240V dryer outlet. When I flipped the kill switch to "on", there was a flash of light and a loud pop. It also tripped the breaker to the dryer circuit. I don't see any charred wires or melted insulation, so I'm pretty sure it probably fried something in the Chinese controller box.

And now comes the depressing task of pulling it apart to figure out how I screwed it up. I think I'll buy separate components to repair it, instead of buying another of the pre-assembled boxes. If it happens again, it will be much cheaper to buy a new SSR.

:ranting:
S-Cackalacky

Postby Pa_bon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:40 am

Sorry to hear it S-Cack. That's a bummer. If I remember correctly when I built mine the same thing happened. Turned out I had the wrong pot.
Overhead the albatross

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Pa_bon, the pot came installed in the Chinese controller box. It looks similar to this:
Chinese controller.jpg
Chinese controller.jpg (10.38 KiB) Viewed 277 times

I installed it in a metal electrical box along with the kill switch, wiring and line in/load out connectors.

Weird thing is - when I removed the cover on the Chinese box - the only sign of damage was a smoke stain on the underside of the cover. The stain was near where the power connections are made. I didn't see any damage to any of the circuitry components near the area of the stain. I'm wondering if maybe there was a short circuit in the wiring connections.

I feel a little shaky about reconnecting the wires and trying it again. Might just as well call it a loss and replace that Chinese control box with something more reliable.
S-Cackalacky

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:46 pm

BTW, the adapter cable worked a charm.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Swedish Pride » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:04 am

fuck electrical stuff, I'm real nervy when it comes to it, I'm surprised I did not killmyself yet with my controller.
Swedish Pride

Postby S-Cackalacky » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:42 am

SP, that's me exactly. When it happened, I was scared shitless and pissed off at the same time.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Bushman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Started doing TPW's as I haven't done them in a while and need to build up my stock for boating drinks.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:13 am

Worked on the bottom drain for a new 50L keg boiler.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Pa_bon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Stripped 30 gal of UJ with my inline thumper setup with about 3 gal of feints. Ran with wash in thumper. Ended up with 7.5 gal at just over 50%. Should work out well diluted with 6.5 gal wash will put me right around 27% for spirit run. Ran with one element wide open and the other at 65 - 70%. The total was done in 2 runs. About 20 minute heat up and right at an hour and 15 mins to run down to 20%. Need to add sight glass to thumper. I can hear what's going on inside but want to see it also. Put 1 gal in thump and removed a little over 5 quarts.

Pint indicated to me he does not use thumper on spirt run. I did not get a reason for this. I do trust the mans judgement as he is miles ahead of me in this. Just wondering why no thump on spirit run? Ideas?

Thanks
Overhead the albatross

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Previous

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill