• Advertisement

Going AG tomorrow.

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Going AG tomorrow.

Postby Duracell » Sat May 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Been on an equipment spree lately, figured I'd share what I've done. Going to do my first all grain 65% corn, 20% malt, 15% malted rye tomorrow. Going off of 2lbs per gallon as a rule, I'm using 14.02 kg Corn, 3.24 kg Rye and 4.31 kg Malt for 90L of water, which should get me 2 stripping runs as per my usual process.

Bought a DSPR220 from Auber Instruments, along with the SSR, case, heatsink. Got some real nice 10 gauge extention cord from Home Depot and built this new controller:

I had been using a home made triac controller, this is much better. It has a temperature probe, and you can set it to heat up your still at 100% and then automatically drop down the power once it comes up to temperature. It will also turn off the power after a set amount of time, if you want.

It also has a mashing program, and that's what I'll be using tomorrow with steam injection. You place the probe in your mash, set your desired temperature, and the controller does all of the work.

Here is my steam head. I put a union on my pot still head so I could swap it out instead of the normal Leibig condenser. It has a vacuum break valve and a 15psi pressure relief, pointed back and away from where I'll be. My boiler is a 55L keg with a 5500w element. I found some really nice thick walled 1/2" ID high temperature silicone tubing for this purpose as well.
ImageImage

Here is the multi purpose wand. I will use it for the steam injection, then to aerate the wash, then to get the majority of the wash off of the grain. I did a test with 90L of water, and at full power it raises about .75 celcuis per minute. That was just in a rubbermaid garbage can though, it should do better in my double insulated fermenter.

I made liter markings with a dremel on the inside of my fermenter.

Need to chill some wort? Got you covered.

Now, for the grains. I bought one of these victoria mills and put it in a bucket, with a larger funnel. 800rpm high torque drill, with a bolt threaded in the end. I tried to do whole corn in a single pass to a very fine mill, and I eneded up breaking the bolt out of the threaded portion. Luckily I have a welder so I just cut off the threaded portion and welded the bolt straight on. With 3 passes it does a good job on corn. Firt pass just to crack the corn, then progressively finer.
ImageImageImageImage

So here's the program for tomorrow:
Add corn and 20% malt to 2/3 of the water, my hot tap water is 50c, going to use that as it will save time heating
Heat to 90c, hold for 90 minutes, stirring frequently (to gelatinize the corn)
Crush the remainder of the malt and rye malt
Add the final 1/3 of cool water and cool to 65c. Add the rest of the malt (including rye malt), temp should drop to 64c. Hold there for 90 minutes, stirring often (stirring can help with conversion)
Cool to 28-30c with immersion chiller / stirring, then aerate the wort
Measure and record SG, pitch yeast
After fermentation is complete, measure and record SG

I have a paint mixer that works with the drill that I will use, it should be very effective. I'm going to ferment on the grain, and at the end of fermentation I have a wine press that I built that I can use to get the rest of the wash out of the spent grains.

Looking forward to this tomorrow, I will report back how it went.
Duracell

Re: Going AG tomorrow.

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun May 14, 2017 6:32 am

Very nice write up. Looking forward to hearing about your results.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Pikey » Sun May 14, 2017 12:29 pm

Yes I agree, nice and clear - I'm coming to this stage myself and look forward to hearing your experiences. :)
Pikey

Postby Duracell » Sun May 14, 2017 10:36 pm

Did this today as planned and it couldn't have gone better. I added the 60L of hot water (50 celcius) to the fermenter and then stirred in the corn and 20% of the malt. This worked great, the mash always stayed very fluid and never got thick. I only used the malt, I didn't add any other enzymes. I calculated the diastatic power of this mash to about 43, and you only need 30, so it was plenty.

It took a long time to boil the keg, but once it did it was very effective at heating the mash. I didn't keep track of time but it was well under an hour to get to 90c. My fermenter is wrapped in 2 layers of reflectix, as well as some insulation on the bottom.
ImageImage

After 90 minutes it was time to cool down to mashing temperature, so I added 20L of cold water. I didn't add the full 30L needed at this time since I wasn't sure how much water the steam injection was adding. With a recirculating pump and my swamp cooler, it only took the immersion coil about 10 or 15 minutes to get down to 65c. I added the malt and it dropped to 64c which was perfect. I set the controller to maintain this temp.

I stirred the mash occasionally and I did have it spike once to 67c when I had left it for too long. It didn't seem to affect my conversion though. Here's what it looked like after the 90 minutes:

At this point I chilled the wort down again to 31c. I checked the boiler and it had put 10L of water into the mash, so I hit my 90L target exactly. The magic wand worked great with my air compressor to aerate the mash.

The result: 1.074SG on the hydrometer and 16.6 brix on the refractometer. Success!
ImageImage

I pitched 1 cup of rehydrated bakers yeast, and within an hour it had already started fermenting. I think next time I may just use 1/2 cup. Anyway, all in all a successful day.
Duracell

Postby S-Cackalacky » Mon May 15, 2017 6:35 am

Again, very clearly written. Anyone stepping into steam cooking and AG mashing could probably easily follow your write up and have a successful result.

Congrats on a successful mash and thanks for following up.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon May 15, 2017 9:20 am

Sounds like you did good, but how did you get that great image out of your refractometer?
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Duracell » Mon May 15, 2017 10:12 am

I just held the eye piece against my phone's camera and took the photo.
Duracell

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri May 19, 2017 2:31 am

I'll be damned! (in all probability)
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill