• Advertisement

Yeast Variation Observations

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Yeast Variation Observations

Postby FredHIckory » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:55 am

I switched to an all grain bill and used Red Start Active Dry Yeast. My last runs were a unconverted grain and sugar mix using Distillers Yeast. Some observations:

1. Followed a published recipe for the grain and sugar mash and the recommended Yeast.
2. The last runs took about 2 weeks to complete the ferment.
3. The stripping run started at about 150 proof.
4. About half way through, the cuts became cloudy.

5. The all grain mash was also a published recipe.
6. The ferment with the Red Star took about 2.5-3 days.
7. The starting proof was only 100.
8. The run ran clear all the way through.

I've got some original and final SG numbers, but the difference was evident in the quantity of the different runs. The Active Yeast works harder, but can't take a high alcohol content. The taste is markedly different, the Red Star being better. But it's also comparing an all grain to an UJ mash.

I sourmashed another run with the spent grain from the all grain and added 6# sugar like the first runs I made. I used the Red Star again and got a 3 day ferment. It's sitting now for a run this weekend. I'll follow up with yield and taste info when complete.
FredHIckory

Equipment type: PSII Essential Oil Extractor 16 Gallon

Re: Yeast Variation Observations

Postby FredHIckory » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:04 pm

The next run came out very good with the Dry Yeast. A bit cidery, but that's due to the sugar. Not a bread smell, but something similar.

Mash ended up at 6.5% abv. acceptable and completed in just 3 days again and took it down to 0.995 after checking 2 days after that..

Running a 100% dry malt right now with the backset from the last run. Quick start on the yeast and very active. Expecting the same results. You can hear the yeast working when you get close to the fermenter.
FredHIckory

Equipment type: PSII Essential Oil Extractor 16 Gallon

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill