• Advertisement

Fusel alcohols

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Re: Fusel alcohols

Postby Alchemist75 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:33 am

Nice! Give us an update. I may try the milk thing on my next spirit run
I've been running glass stills for over 20 years now and have no shame in saying so.
Alchemist75

Equipment type: All glass equipment, highly modular borosilicate lab glass. Volumes and configurations vary including a copper packed passive reflux apparatus and a modular glass thumper set up.

Postby Kareltje » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:05 pm

This morning I found that there was a good precipitate and a cloudy fluid, just as NZChris reported on his experiment. A added a bit lemon juice. It did not seem to help precipitation, at least not until now, in my evening.
I found some remarks on a French forum, talking about 1 l of normal milk at 100 l distillate or 100 ml cream on 100 l distillate. So this morning I also took 1 liter of 40 %ABV tails and about 100 ml of normal milk, yet without acid.

Until now the solid on the bottom does not seem very firm, but the French advised 1 to 3 days rest, so I will wait a bit longer.

I tasted it, and it still gives a firm burn on the fore part of my tongue, so until now no improvement.
Kareltje

Postby Alchemist75 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:31 am

I wonder how much it's actually possible to clean up just the tails. I've never done an all feints run because everything I read about it makes me question if it's worth the time. Most of my foreshot and heads cut just gets used as a final rinse after I clean my equipment and the worst of the tail just gets poured out. Around my house we jokingly call the feints "the tax man's cut" or "ATF's cut" lol.
I've been running glass stills for over 20 years now and have no shame in saying so.
Alchemist75

Equipment type: All glass equipment, highly modular borosilicate lab glass. Volumes and configurations vary including a copper packed passive reflux apparatus and a modular glass thumper set up.

Postby YeastPimp » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:30 pm

Did alanmies just light the fuse and then walk away? His thread has taken on an entirely new persona without him lol. Sort of highlights the fact that we attempt to answer questions, and in the absence of "enough information" in the question we provide our own. NOT saying that's at all a bad thing, just an observation. And a lot of great information thrown in the pot for good measure. :)

So... alan? :D
YeastPimp

Equipment type: Starting over

Postby Alchemist75 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:32 am

It's funny how that happens or how a thread about one subject will veer wildly off course and no one bats an eye.
Alchemist75

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:48 pm

Well, I think it's just us at our finest. Plus, I always learn something.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Pikey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:15 am

Zymurgy Bob wrote:Well, I think it's just us at our finest. Plus, I always learn something.

:8)

I'm certainly learning from this thread - and many others too :D

I don't tend to have problems with fusels, but I do my ferments to quite high abv and low ingredients levels, so I can do 1.5s, without overpowering flavours and the tails cut is at around 95 or 96 degrees (MY head temperature is a little higher than "Vapour temp" as I'm still pulling some alcohol with a head temp of 103 degrees (20 feet above sea level). The bulk of the tails and a good portion of the heads go back into the next run and the fores get used for wiping permanent marker off my demijohns and also lighting the fire !
Pikey

Postby pintoshine » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:42 pm

the nutrient answer is posted in a long piece I did on fermenting sugar.

viewtopic.php?p=52#p52 and no more than 1.080 SG.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Previous

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill