• Advertisement

Unexpected LM/VM Behavior

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Unexpected LM/VM Behavior

Postby kekedog13 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:04 pm

I'm still learning to use this rig. Did a spirit run and once stabilized got jar after jar at a steady 82 %. The fores were 90 %. After 5 hrs the temp went up and the ABV remained the same .When the head (top of boiling vessel ) finally reached 210 F it was still putting out 80 %. I was happy about this yet puzzled how this could be.After some calculation ( and 8 hrs of running )it looked like I had gotten an adequate amount of product and shut it down. After cooling I checked abv of the back set and it read 0 ABV. Does this mean I finally learned to use it and got ALL of the alc. from it ? I've only run this rig 5 times and this time I monitored the temp of the water exiting the reflux condenser and by using a valve kept it between 115 and 120 F. I started with 40% from stripping runs.
Yahoo Mountain Dew! It'll tickle you're innards!
kekedog13

Equipment type: 15.5 gallon keg, LM/VM T-Boka on top of a 38" X 2" column,32" Liebig

Re: Unexpected LM/VM Behavior

Postby Alchemist75 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:51 pm

0% abv sounds improbable though it might be possible. Did you do the temperature correction when you took your reading?
I've been running glass stills for over 20 years now and have no shame in saying so.
Alchemist75

Equipment type: All glass equipment, highly modular borosilicate lab glass. Volumes and configurations vary including a copper packed passive reflux apparatus and a modular glass thumper set up.

Re: Unexpected LM/VM Behavior

Postby punkin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:57 pm

You may as well not bother with a slow reflux still if you are only getting 80%. That's potstill teritory.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill