• Advertisement

Fermenter / Thumper.

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Re: Fermenter / Thumper.

Postby RedwoodHillBilly » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:21 am

Duracell wrote:Good advice, also I have a 15psi pressure release valve on mine. It was about $50.

15psi is fairly high. I might recommend 5psi or so, mine is set to 3psi. In normal operation I've not seen greater than 1 psi. You might also want to think about a vacuum release as well. Cheap insurance in case you forget to open the connection between the boiler and the thumper after shutting down. It's not really needed if you can be sure that there can't be a clog when the boiler cools, but it does make it harder to clean if you suck a bunch of stuff from the thumper up the connection. If it does clog, it is possible that you can collapse the boiler.
John Barleycorn must die.
"and little Sir John in the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last.
The huntsman he can't hunt the fox, nor so loudly to blow his horn,
and the tinker he can't mend kettle nor pots without a little barleycorn."
RedwoodHillBilly

Postby Duracell » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:08 am

15 was the lowest I could find. I do have a vacuum release too.
Duracell

Postby RedwoodHillBilly » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:39 am

Duracell wrote:15 was the lowest I could find. I do have a vacuum release too.

Here is a 5 psi from Amazon, I'm sure that there are other sellers as well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008837YUK

This is the combined PRV and vacuum breaker that I used. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SS304-2-Inch-St ... 1758631321
The relief pressure can be adjusted down by loosening the top to reduce the spring pressure on the poppet valve.
John Barleycorn must die.
"and little Sir John in the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last.
The huntsman he can't hunt the fox, nor so loudly to blow his horn,
and the tinker he can't mend kettle nor pots without a little barleycorn."
RedwoodHillBilly

Postby Duracell » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Well I've made some progress on this. With the advice here I decided against using my plastic fermenter. A friend gave me a 15.5gal beer keg so I paid a welder to weld on a tri clamp fitting on the bottom part. I also got him to weld on a stainless pipe to the inside of a 1/2 hose barb tri clamp fitting. I crimped the end, drilled vent holes and added stainless braid over top from a hot water tank supply hose.

I plan to put the clear wash in my boiler with the element and then the slop in this new keg. Hook the output to the 1/2" hose barb with the injector wand I made. Should work good, I plan do do a run in about a month. I may have to downsize my batches a bit but it should be a lot less work. I also bought some enzymes from enzymash so hopefully I get more wash and less slop as well.
Attachments
20180325_214835 - Copy.jpg
20180325_201807 - Copy.jpg
20180325_201056 - Copy.jpg
Duracell

Postby Duracell » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Here's the complete steam injector.
Attachments
20180325_220449 - Copy.jpg
Duracell

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:11 am

I've thought of doing much the same for a steam injector/thumper build. With the triclamp fitting at the bottom you could also theoretically install an electric element and run it as a second boiler - gives some added flexibility. Show us the entire rig when you get it set up.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Duracell » Mon May 07, 2018 2:09 pm

I finally have this all set up and the run yesterday was a success. I had to increase the volume of the second keg as it slowly fills up as the run progresses and on my first try it filled to the top, and I had to pause the run, let it settle, then rack the clear liquid back into the boiler. I brazed on a tri-clamp fitting to the bottom of a 30L keg and used part of my reflux column to join them together.

I can say this takes the hassle entirely of distilling on the grain. Charge the boiler with clear liquid, the second keg with the slop and distill away. I ran my 5500w element at 4400w just to prevent any possibility of scorching.

Duracell

Previous

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill