• Advertisement

Extra stripping run(s) for pot stilled vodka

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Extra stripping run(s) for pot stilled vodka

Postby The Baker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:26 pm

Hi,
I Searched for info on this but there are over two thousand entries on vodka and to search with in that for pot still did not work ('too many entries for pot still')
When moving my operation to home from the farm shed (after say four years of no stilling) I found forty litres I had stripped at least once and set aside at 27% ABV. Obviously so I could draw from below the top layer and distill again.
It smells and tastes a bit like vodka so I thought I would do at least one more stripping run, knowing the effort needed, cleaning it up for vodka on the pot still.
I could run it AGAIN as a stripping run (two at this juncture, that is three counting the first one) before maybe a spirit run.
Is this the best way to do it?
Any hints?

Thanks,

Geoff
The Baker

Equipment type: Pot still

Re: Extra stripping run(s) for pot stilled vodka

Postby Azframer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:36 am

The more plate you have the cleaner and less taste it will have. More runs on a pot still go the same. I think 7 plates was on the lower end maybe lower I can't remember but I did see it a few times when I first came along.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9923&p=138400&hilit=7+plates#p138400
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby Azframer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:43 am

Friends call me Rick
Azframer

Postby Azframer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:46 am

Searching vodka and checking potstill gives you even fewer posts, not sure if any of them give you answers you are looking for.
search.php?keywords=Vodka&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=1&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
Friends call me Rick
Azframer

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:36 am

It's my understanding that that's exactly how traditional vodka was once made - multiple runs through a pot still to remove grain/fruit flavor. So it seems that what you're proposing is exactly what you need to do to arrive at a traditional vodka. A thumper might help you get there a little quicker.
S-Cackalacky

Postby The Baker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:43 am

Azframer wrote:The more plate you have the cleaner and less taste it will have. More runs on a pot still go the same. I think 7 plates was on the lower end maybe lower I can't remember but I did see it a few times when I first came along.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9923&p=138400&hilit=7+plates#p138400

Thanks, Azframer,
That helps it make sense.
So I guess the more stripping runs (or 'plates') the cleaner and the less taste, which is what I am aiming for.
And when I am satisfied or very nearly satisfied I will finish it off with a spirit run.
It doesn't worry me how many times I have to distil it to get that result; I can refine the process later.

Thanks again.

Geoff
The Baker

Postby The Baker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:47 am

S-Cackalacky wrote:It's my understanding that that's exactly how traditional vodka was once made - multiple runs through a pot still to remove grain/fruit flavor. So it seems that what you're proposing is exactly what you need to do to arrive at a traditional vodka. A thumper might help you get there a little quicker.

Thanks.
I'm a bit more confident now, that I can clean up a fair bit of nasty spirit from when I was distilling before!
And a thumper and a pre-heater are in the plan, maybe not just yet.

Geoff
The Baker

Postby sugarcreek » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:58 am

What was the starting fermentable? Sugar? Grain? You'll forever be facing an uphill battle to get "vodka" from a pot still. You will most assuredly will get a nice smooth neutral-ish spirit. Run it as a spirits run, if you're not pleased with the taste run it again.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby The Baker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:34 am

sugarcreek said, 'You will most assuredly will get a nice smooth neutral-ish spirit. Run it as a spirits run, if you're not pleased with the taste run it again."

I will be more than satisfied with that sort of spirit.
No way am I pedantic about it being 'true vodka'.
Thanks for your advice.

Geoff
The Baker

Postby punkin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:31 pm

If you are not making cuts you are not cleaning it up, but just rerunning the same thing through over and over with no changes?

To make it cleaner means making heads and tails cuts and watering back down.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby sugarcreek » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:32 pm

^^^^^ What he said. I assumed the OP was taking H & T cuts.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:02 pm

This may be veering off topic slightly since you were originally talking about doing this for some old low wines, but for pot stilled vodka, wash ingredients can make a big difference. I've made a run of rice vodka using the Uncle Remus reciipe on HD. Some describe it as not a vodka, but more of a true neutral. That may be true as far as flavor goes - makes a great gin. I've seen a recipe on one of the forums(?) that uses a grain bill of 50/50 rice/wheat, which may deliver something closer to a true vodka from a pot still. I would assume that the rice will temper down the flavor of the wheat and the wheat will contribute to a wheated vodka flavor character. I hope to try this one day as an AG vodka.

Anyway, I would think this 50/50 recipe might deliver a good vodka from a pot still without the necessity of many many runs. When I did the rice vodka, I ran it through twice - both times with the thumper attached and got a very smooth neutral spirit. I think the rice/wheat proportions could also be adjusted to personal taste.
S-Cackalacky

Postby The Baker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:59 pm

punkin wrote:If you are not making cuts you are not cleaning it up, but just rerunning the same thing through over and over with no changes?

To make it cleaner means making heads and tails cuts and watering back down.

Thanks, Punkin.
And sugarcreek.
So obvious that I didn't really see it. Though I was coming around to the idea....

Any suggestions as to the cuts?

Anybody?

Twenty litre pot so maybe 18 litres fill with say 55% ABV watered to 27% and rested (would a day be long enough?), then taken from below the top.

I am thinking throw away say 50 mls fore shots. (Cleaning fluid).
Put not too much of the heads into 'feints'.
Put a lot of the tails into the 'feints', maybe below (say) 40%.
Put the 'feints' into the 27% resting to be used in say a day. (Not into today's next run).

Does there come a time when the 'feints' (or maybe more especially the tails?) should be discarded?
(Or even the lower half of the tails in one run?)

For stripping runs I have been running the spirit quite warm, for these spirit runs I would run it cool; a lot slower.

My brother-in-law intends to travel with us near your town, Punkin, in a few months and I suggested we call, he is quite interested .....
Though I have difficulty convincing my wife that my pot still, not being as pretty as my nephew's StillDragon, is a serious still.

Geoff
The Baker

Postby The Baker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:03 pm

Thanks again Cackalacky for your very useful comments.

Geoff
The Baker

Postby punkin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:28 pm

No worries mate, just give me a ring a couple days beforehand, the numbers on the StillDragon Australia site under Contact.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill