• Advertisement

Plum ferment gone and stopped - any ideas ?

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Plum ferment gone and stopped - any ideas ?

Postby Pikey » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:16 pm

Consider this - 3 separate plum brandy washes - each 25 litres, side by side. All started around end July using same yeast "Gervin high alcohol"
Today I strained and squeezed them ready to distil. Tasted number 1 - Bitter - ok to run. number 2 - Bitter - ok to run :8)
Number 3 - starting to clear - tasted dryish but notes of sweetness !
So out with the hydrometer and sure enough 1030 :?
Tested the other 2 - 0.997 :D
These were made using whatever fruit I had picked at the time and using 5kg sugar and 25 litres total wash volume.
Number 1 - about 5 kg fruit (11 lb)
Number 2 - about 7 kg fruit (15.5 lb)
Number 3 - 7 kg fruit - brought to the boil with a tiny spot of water and simmered until the fruit broke up. Then added to water and sugar tipped in and stirred.

All were fermented on the pulp for five weeks or so and have stopped.

So the question is - what have I done to number 3 ?

Has boiling the fructose with a slightly acid mix, terned the sugar into a non-fermentable ? or has the pectin come out of the fruit and holding the Gravity up ?

Subsidiary question - is pectin sweet ?

That's all I can think of - open to the floor now please ?
Pikey

Re: Plum ferment gone and stopped - any ideas ?

Postby Pikey » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:12 pm

Well it got there eventually, - down to "done" that is - when run, there was quite a bit more "plumminess" in the cooked ferment than the others, so stewing the fruit will become a part of my standard procedure when doing "plum" in future, just as it is with "Banana". :8)
Pikey

Postby Kareltje » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:12 pm

Thank you Pikey for sharing your experience! :8)
Kareltje

Postby Rebel_Yell » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Good to know that cooking tends to make the plum flavor stay. Makes me wonder if this would help with peaches and apples...
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby Pikey » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:33 pm

Rebel_Yell wrote:Good to know that cooking tends to make the plum flavor stay. Makes me wonder if this would help with peaches and apples...

There was "plum" in the others, just more so in the "cooked one" - I don't know about Apples. "Peach" - I still say you have to add the flavour AFTER the product is made. (I've never done "cooked" - but I've tried making "peach wine" many ways (except cooking) and never had a morsel of peach flavour come over). - Banana - I've never done without "cooking" - although the fiirst time with the grey sludge of the bananas and black skins - I nearly threw it away ! a few weeks later the golden nectar was truly memorable !

Kareltje wrote:Thank you Pikey for sharing your experience! :8)

Thanks K - I know we both go a little "Outside the box" occasionally and sometimes it is to the benefit of teh hobby - No risk - no profit ! :beer:
Pikey

Postby Copperhead road » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:41 pm

Nice work pikey. I have never thought about cooking my peaches before...
I thought I would end up with a stewed fruit taste more than fresh peach. Interesting :idea:
my pet is a CCSC copper flute, I feed it corn and it pisses likker like a pony....
Copperhead road

Postby Pikey » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:04 pm

Copperhead road wrote:Nice work pikey. I have never thought about cooking my peaches before...
I thought I would end up with a stewed fruit taste more than fresh peach. Interesting :idea:

Try it and come back to us :)

Peaches are hard to come by arund here - and when I next get a batch, I'll use a few (and sugar) for the ferment and dehydrate the rest. Run the ferment, then use the dried as an infusion in the resultant spirit.

Done it with dried apricots with brilliant results - even a few leaves of "Meadowsweet" is great, just don't get bogged down in the "only use the fruit juice" mindset - lets go for what works - like Odin does ! :8)
Pikey

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill