• Advertisement

Neutral Stripping Run

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Neutral Stripping Run

Postby vickrockafeller » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:15 pm

Probably a dumb question, but I've only made Neutral from feints, and salvaging unintentional failures. I'm doing a dedicated Neutral run now though, and I'm doing the stripping run though my short column with a trickle to the dephlamator to try to recreate runs I've liked in the past as closely as possible. Am I just wasting time and energy since it all gets mixed together anyways? Should I just be blasting out the alcohol in a pot still? Will this help me get a higher proof on my spirt run? I know you can make a neutral with a shorter column just by running it over and over.
When running feints with the neutral column I put together It ran slow, but was not a problem hitting 190P.
Thanks.
vickrockafeller

Re: Neutral Stripping Run

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 am

I'm not exactly sure how "it all gets mixed together", or really what drink you're trying to make, but desiring the 190 proof implies that you want to make the most tasteless drink you can make. For most of us, we only need to get %ABV high enough to drink, or perhaps a bit higher to age. Unless you're really after tasteless vodka, beverage distillation isn't really a race to the highest %ABV.

If you could give us some details about what you want, we could help you better.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby vickrockafeller » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:23 am

I'm trying to make a vodka/neutral base for a gin. When running rum feints in the past it was coming off at 190. I used a nice hydrometer, and did a temperature correction, so I know it was accurate. It still had a nice sweet character to it up front, even though the finish was very clean. Some people have really liked it, so I'm trying to recreate a full batch. Also want to experiment with weird Gins (hoppy, ginger, ect.) And want to use a neutral base.
vickrockafeller

Postby vickrockafeller » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:25 am

What I meant by mixed together, is I will just blend the heads, hearts and tails together for the spirit run.
vickrockafeller

Postby fizzix » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:26 am

Still a little unclear... but here's what I do:
Start with a "flavorless" TPW or cereal wash. (e.g. If you start with flavorful rum feints, you're going to have more work.)
Stripping run: go fast, get rid of fores, the heck with other cuts.
Spirit run: reflux the hell out of it, make proper cuts, then run it through the pot still at least twice. I even have a stainless steel carbon filter system I pour it through.
If you don't have reflux ability, pot still it at least 2 or three times on "spirit" runs, or at least until it meets satisfaction.

Hopefully I'm answering your question.
"And when you lose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown." -Dogs, Pink Floyd
fizzix

Postby zapata » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:22 pm

I think you're wasting time and energy refluxing a stripping run though since you say dephlegmater I'm guessing you have a flute, and I've never tried to make neutral in one of them.

I strip neutrals in a potstill, then reflux in a column. If you do just have a flute and not a column, might be a good idea to actually use reflux and make cuts on the "stripping run" since flutes less than 20 plates arent really known for making neutral.
zapata

Postby ElectricEd » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:03 am

For a 200 litre TPW I do 4 stripping runs through a pot still and don't take any cuts at all. I finish each run around 15% ABV.
That gives me about 45 litres of strip at around 45%ABV.
Then it's the spirit run. Due to the height of my shed I can only use 13 plates.
Full reflux for 30 minutes followed by a gradual decrease in reflux flow until product starts flowing. I take about 3 litres of fores off before it comes clean.
I stop the run when the parrot reads 85%, go below that and tails ruin the run. With 85% there's hardly any alcohol left in the boiler and it's just not worth doing any cuts to try to reclaim it.
That gives a reliable 22-23 litres of a clean neutral at 93% and a great base for a beautiful gin.
Tax?
What's that?
ElectricEd

Equipment type: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2 x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby vickrockafeller » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:37 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I do have a column. I ended up running a couple stripping runs through 5 plates with no active refux (water to the dephlamator) to try to get the blend of all my cuts as close to 80 proof as possible in the stripping run, but still go quickly. Didnt make any cuts. Then added in a section with packing below my plates and did a spirit run. Ran and tastes the same as an all feints run, so mission accomplished I guess. The still just slows then stops when I can't get any more high proof hearts out. No tails come through. It's very cool.
vickrockafeller

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill