• Advertisement

Do you have experience doing all grain for whiskey?

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Re: Do you have experience doing all grain for whiskey?

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:06 am

Great write up John. Congratulations on your success. Great score on the press.
S-Cackalacky

Postby brewstillski » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:57 pm

Been all grain beer brewing for about 10 years but new to all this. I've done a few sugarhead recipes just to see what they're like, now on to what's more familiar. Just completed a mostly barely and some rye grainbill. No boil after mashing, just pulled the grain bag (BIAB), cooled with copper immersion chiller, drained into fermenter, and pitched yeast. OG was 1.050 and after 2 days it's down to 1.006. Will let it ride for a little longer to see if it goes all the way. Excited to run it through my potstill and thumper.
brewstillski

Postby txbrewing » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:57 pm

brewstillski wrote:Been all grain beer brewing for about 10 years but new to all this. I've done a few sugarhead recipes just to see what they're like, now on to what's more familiar. Just completed a mostly barely and some rye grainbill. No boil after mashing, just pulled the grain bag (BIAB), cooled with copper immersion chiller, drained into fermenter, and pitched yeast. OG was 1.050 and after 2 days it's down to 1.006. Will let it ride for a little longer to see if it goes all the way. Excited to run it through my potstill and thumper.

I am right there with you, been brewing beer for about 10 years, 1 extract then into all grain. Can brew up about 12 gallons of 1.065 pre-boil wort at a time. This will fill the keg boiler pretty well I think.
Still building the pot still, but after a few sugar washes, I will move back into all grain. The goal is to brew up a single malt 2 or 6 row then use it instead of the water and sugar for UJSM.

We shall see what comes of it.

Tim
txbrewing

Postby pintoshine » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:15 pm

I'm spoiled. I have been doing enzyme mashing for a few years now. It is addictive getting 1.080 regularly off 100% corn.
I am looking forward to some Pils ale and a bit of Nut Brown Ale soon too.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby brewstillski » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:32 pm

pintoshine wrote:I'm spoiled. I have been doing enzyme mashing for a few years now. It is addictive getting 1.080 regularly off 100% corn.

Was just thinking today that I would like to give enzyme mashing with corn a try. I think I may have some enzymes from the brews hope but no high temp. Will those work for corn(meal), or are the high temp enzymes a must for corn?
brewstillski

Postby punkin » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:48 pm

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby brewstillski » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:47 am

pintoshine wrote:I'm spoiled. I have been doing enzyme mashing for a few years now. It is addictive getting 1.080 regularly off 100% corn.

Intrigue got the better of me. Ordered some enzymes. Now time to pick up some bulk corn and oats. Thanks for sending me further down the rabbit hole.
brewstillski

Postby John Galt » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:07 am

brewstillski wrote:

Intrigue got the better of me. Ordered some enzymes. Now time to pick up some bulk corn and oats. Thanks for sending me further down the rabbit hole.

Brew, how did htey turn you for you? Mine have been great. I've made the very best bourbon I've had the good fortune of producing. The enzymes are awesome.
The problems we have today will not be solved with the same level of thinking with which we created them. Albert Einstein
John Galt

Postby John Galt » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:14 am

Onto another round of bourbon. many thanks to Pint.

60% corn, 40% oat. All rolled grains. Ferment has been real slow, but it is dead of winter and hard to keep things in the right range. Nonetheless, My plan is fire it up next week. CAn't wait.
The problems we have today will not be solved with the same level of thinking with which we created them. Albert Einstein
John Galt

Postby John Galt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:46 am

John Galt wrote:Onto another round of bourbon. many thanks to Pint.

60% corn, 40% oat. All rolled grains. Ferment has been real slow, but it is dead of winter and hard to keep things in the right range. Nonetheless, My plan is fire it up next week. CAn't wait.

This product turned out great! I recommend you give it a taste in some oat ratio. They can be worth the trouble. :)
John Galt

Previous

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill