• Advertisement

I Need A Simple Cracked Corn Mash Recipe

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

I Need A Simple Cracked Corn Mash Recipe

Postby Butch Coolidge » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:40 am

Hey Guys,

I have a bag of cracked corn and whole wheat (probably about 75/25 respectively) that has been sitting around for a couple of years and I want to make a couple of mashes out of it. I don't have any expirience with grain mashes. I have only ever made sugar washes and potato mashes. I just got a beer brewing system and want to learn to use it for making grain mash. I need a simple recipe that discribes the entire process (mash temp, time, etc.). I will be using powdered enzymes and they get added at 166*f and 140*f (that's how I do it with potato mash.). I'm thinking of cooking the corn/wheat at 170* for an hour and then cooling to 166*, adding first enzyme and allowing to cool to 140* when I add the second enzyme. Letting it rest for a while to allow the second enzyme to work. Then chilling and pitching yeast.

Let me know if I'm on the right track here, like I said, I don't have any expirience with grain mashes. Link me up with some simple, similar recipes or just give me some simple advice.

BTW, I'm thinking I'll use 25lbs of the corn/wheat with a final wort volume of about 15gal. Is this about standard?

Thanks,

Butch
"I'm American, Honey. Our names don't mean shit!"
Butch Coolidge

Equipment type: Several reflux columns, some hand-made, some custom-made. Half-barrel keg boilers. Fully automated carbon filtering system. Lots of miscellaneous gadgetry.

Re: I Need A Simple Cracked Corn Mash Recipe

Postby punkin » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:08 pm

I think you'll find an hour is not enough cooking for the corn.

If you can stand the smell, Pints soured corn is pretty simple and there's a step by step with photos down in proven recipes. If you're a bit scared you could leave the souring out and just soak the corn overnight in hot water to start the softening.

Depending on the level of 'crack' two hours might be more appropriate.

By looking through a couple of the allgrain threads in proven recipes or here, you should be able to piece together enough info to make you're own step by step notes. :8)

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:35 pm

That grain mix sounds like chicken scratch, and I made my first bourbon out of it. It works just fine. To cook, I just bring the water in my brewpot to a boil, and throw in the grain. Stir like hell, maybe with reduced heat, until you get to boiling temp again. Turn off the heat, wrap the kettle in towels or a blanket, and do something else for 2 or 3 hours.

When you open it up, it will be thoroughly cooked, and still hot as hell.

I use Pint's lacto-souring process for corn. The flavor is good and the mash is just a bit more managable
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Butch Coolidge » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:48 pm

Yeah, chicken scratch. I have been considering giving it away for a couple years but just got a new brewing system and need to test it out.

Thanks for the advice. I should've looked in the recipies section first but I was having a hard time navigating last night!

I'm just going to expiriment with it. Once the scratch is gone, I'll mess around with some wheat and go for vodka.

Butch
Butch Coolidge

Equipment type: Several reflux columns, some hand-made, some custom-made. Half-barrel keg boilers. Fully automated carbon filtering system. Lots of miscellaneous gadgetry.

Postby punkin » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:44 pm

Wheat makes really good whiskey too. It's so mild you hardly know it's there, but it still carries the oak and the flavours from toasting. Definately my favourite whiskey grain :8)

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby big worm » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:08 pm

wheat is my fav all grain too punkin, butch the chicken feed makes a damm fine ujsm
"It is wise to learn how to ferment local products that are cheap and abundant."
big worm

Postby Butch Coolidge » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:34 pm

I tried making a mash last weekend with the scratch. I cooked it at anywhere between 150 and 170*f for a couple of hours and then added the first powdered enzyme. Waited another hour and then added the second one for another hour. Afterwards, added drops of iodine which turned immediately black. I am assuming that my enzymes have gone bad since I haven't used them for over a year ago when I was making potato vodka. I ordered some more enzymes and I'm going to try the last 25 lbs of scratch this weekend.

I could easily have made other mistakes but I wouldn't know. Grains are new to me. All I know is that when I was making potato mash, after adding enzymes, I would add a few drops of iodine and it would stay brown indicating no presence of starch.

I'll give it another try in the next couple days.

Butch
Butch Coolidge

Postby eternalfrost » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:17 am

pintos method is bullet proof

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1044

the only one ive ever used, because ive never had reason to change. :8)
eternalfrost

Postby big worm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:39 am

cooking grain takes time and heat. a corn mash should be cooked at a boiling point for at least an hour or untill it has become a broken down starch. seething mass of porage smop. at 170 i dont think you got the cooking done to release the starches.
"It is wise to learn how to ferment local products that are cheap and abundant."
big worm

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill