• Advertisement

Today In The Shed

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Today In The Shed

Postby punkin » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:55 pm

Jeez, i'm buzy since i came home. Yesterday i started filling a new barrell with UJSM Corn and Malt. Then i did half my 70l corn and malt strip, today it's the other half of the strip.

I also have 30l of finnished spirit that i want to re-run after sitting unsuccesfully in a small barrell for 9 months, although the coopers reckon it's just cause it's a new wood barrell, i suspect i accidentally got an uncharred wine barrell. The spirit is lacking anything but a weak straw colour and is quite harsh, hopefully i can take the harshness out of it before adding back to the new barrell.

I'm starting the cook on a series of allgrain barley, malt barley and triticale mashes. It'll be a weekly 35l mash, hopefully if the cook is easy enough i can have two running.

I have plans to start a plain white sugar series too, i've never tried a neutral made from a clean wash and am interested to compare with Pint's fast fermenting mollasses. Might put a rocket under me to complete the new VM outfit too if i have a stack of neutral strip sitting round.

Still have one 35l fermenter of all mollasses rum wash ticking over too, but the rum wil be finnished soon. I have 20l finnished product and the next run will fill a 30l beer keg.

What are you guys and gals doing in the shed lately ?

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby dutchmancreek » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:24 pm

I've got 18 gallons of stripped UJSM and 2 gallons of stripped apple brandy ready for a spirit run in the pot still, and a bit of heads, tails, and failures waiting for the column still. I'm hoping I can get to it all soon.

I want to try Deathwish's wheat germ recipe and also would like to get started on a rye mash.

I've been busy with firewood, deer camp, and a couple of blacksmithing projects this late fall so I've kind of gotten behind on my stillin'.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby dutchmancreek » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:28 pm

I forgot to add that I'm seriously considering modifying my pot still to add a thumper.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby big worm » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:44 pm

thumpers are nice! i been thinking out malting trays and racks. gotta rack in place just need to build some trays. i got the triple all grain to mix and run slow. maby 1 and a 1/2 charges of ujsm to strip. next ferment when the brew shop opens from holliday then back at it.
"It is wise to learn how to ferment local products that are cheap and abundant."
big worm

Too damn cold

Postby minime » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:10 pm

Since it's too cold to do anything in my shop I've been obsessing about the brandy I distilled a couple months back. I had 16 liters of shitty white wine to which I added 2 liters of 95.6 neutral. I pot stilled it and got 3.5 liters of 65%. I then toasted up some cherry wood per punkin's recipe and have it sitting with 3 sticks in my closet with coffee filter to cover for the last two months. I poured a shot last week and it is quite spectacular already. So here's the problem.

It has assumed a very dark amber color from the toasted cherry wood. The taste is excellent and I'd like to extend the volume by adding some neutral to the body before cutting to proof. I'm wondering if any of you guys blend your stuff with neutral to stretch it out a bit and if so how much would be reasonable?
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby Rebel_Yell » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:20 pm

I NEVER BLEND! NOTHING! PERIOD!

The best things that I have ever made are blended and hard to replicate. Something about a lack of notes.

Take a known amount of part A and add a known amount of part B. Taste.
Adjust proportions to your taste. Add more brandy or more neutral. Go slow, keep it small and take notes.

It is your palate here. I can't say what is good for you.

Try a shot of both and go from there...
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Re: Too damn cold

Postby punkin » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:53 pm

minime wrote:Since it's too cold to do anything in my shop I've been obsessing about the brandy I distilled a couple months back. I had 16 liters of shitty white wine to which I added 2 liters of 95.6 neutral. I pot stilled it and got 3.5 liters of 65%. I then toasted up some cherry wood per punkin's recipe and have it sitting with 3 sticks in my closet with coffee filter to cover for the last two months. I poured a shot last week and it is quite spectacular already. So here's the problem.

It has assumed a very dark amber color from the toasted cherry wood. The taste is excellent and I'd like to extend the volume by adding some neutral to the body before cutting to proof. I'm wondering if any of you guys blend your stuff with neutral to stretch it out a bit and if so how much would be reasonable?

Dunno mini.. i've actually got some white wine brandy in the cupboard somewhere from the shitty reisling that was in my 9l bottle. It came up very well, but i haven't seen it for a while, must be up the back, i kept it in the white.

I brought half a dozen bottles of old champagne the relies gave me back this week to throw in the still with the brandy feints from before, so i'm very interested in your results when you get em.

My impulse is to say, if you like it, just drink it and make more rather than dilute the flavour.
But i don't know..... :cry:

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Decoy » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:23 pm

:( i started a 50L UJSM just before xmas.. i opend it last night to check it..

:oops: may it rest in peace... :cry:

it stinks.... must have been the heat...

im gona start another today..

Cheers
Decoy..

"Artisan Distiller" The art of making your own distillation apparatus for the
purpose of home distillation of spirits alcohol or ethanol for personal use.
Decoy

Postby blanikdog » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:55 pm

I make a lot of brandy because the wines are available and free. Initially I mixed the red and white in the kettle and let 'er rip. Recently I read a post - in HD I think - that said that white whine makes the best brandy so I now do them separately to compare. I must do that comparison soon, it's been resting for a few months how.

So, I don't blend the finished product but have blended the 'wash' and found the red/white run to be really fruity and with quite a lot of guts. The mates seem to enjoy it as well, but they aren't afficionado's (sp?) like us. :!:

I'll get back on the comparison later today.

blanik

ps. At present I'm waiting to get a BOP so haven't done much.
Liberté, Fraternité, Egalité.
(50 litre, propane powered pot still)
moonshine rye rum whitelightning booze whitedog gin grog distillation potstill reflux fractioning mashing wash
blanikdog

Re: Too damn cold

Postby minime » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:56 pm

punkin wrote:
Dunno mini.. i've actually got some white wine brandy in the cupboard somewhere from the shitty reisling that was in my 9l bottle. It came up very well, but i haven't seen it for a while, must be up the back, i kept it in the white.

I brought half a dozen bottles of old champagne the relies gave me back this week to throw in the still with the brandy feints from before, so i'm very interested in your results when you get em.

My impulse is to say, if you like it, just drink it and make more rather than dilute the flavour.
But i don't know..... :cry:

Problem is this stuff is really good and it's gonna disappear right quick once it's offered. I'm thinking I should reserve a liter at least for very special occasions. I REALLY like this stuff.
My son gave me a bottle of 80 dollar scotch for Christmas. I wouldn't give a nickel for it. Sorry son.
Anyway, I planned all along to sweeten it a bit with caramelized sugar which will further deepen the color. I think I'll go with Rebel_Yells suggestion. I'll remove a few ounces and see what I come up with and keep good notes. I know it won't be bad starting with a great base.
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby blanikdog » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:02 pm

I'll be interested in your results, minime. My whites are a mixture of different grapes, where your is one type. I may try keeping a particular grape type and see what the difference is.

blanik
Liberté, Fraternité, Egalité.
(50 litre, propane powered pot still)
moonshine rye rum whitelightning booze whitedog gin grog distillation potstill reflux fractioning mashing wash
blanikdog

Postby big worm » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:14 pm

filterd and decanted...four 1/2 pint "candied plum brandy" four 1/2 pint apple pies, four kaluaha and four ammeretto's cut and filterd two liters ujsm....tryed to get a deal on a 10l oak keg :|
"It is wise to learn how to ferment local products that are cheap and abundant."
big worm

Postby punkin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:18 pm

Rerunning thirty litres of finnished Corn and Malt that dissapointed after barrell aging.

Got it watered down to 45litres @ 40%, just starting into hearts now.

punkin

Postby Dr_T » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:33 pm

I'm not the kind of artist that you guys are- I just make sugar vodka, and I'm trying to make some rum.
And I redistilled some of the Turbo Wash, it's better but still not very good. I'm drinking it now to punish myself for trying it in the first place.

But I have been researching HDPE buckets- I got one at the Home Depot, and contacted the manufacturer.

I wrote:My question has to do with the plastic- it's HDPE, but not labeled "food grade". Is there something in it that makes it unsafe, or is it just that it's not 'certified safe'? Could I use this for watering animals, for example?

In response, the manufacturer wrote:The plastic is safe, however, the color is what makes it "not recommended" for food storage.

So I'm thinking that they pretty much all are safe as fermenters. But "Food Grade" is still recommended.
"Get your shine on"
Dr_T

Postby big worm » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:44 pm

5 gal buckets from the feed or hardware store are fine. smaller plastic barrles 15-55 gallon work to just be mindful of whats in them. the ones around here have soap in them, an they ok.
big worm

Next

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill