• Advertisement

What's your yield?

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

What's your yield?

Postby SuburbanStiller » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:31 am

Out of each gallon of mash or wash, how much drinkable hooch do you get?

I feel like I'm doing something wrong because I just don't seem to be getting much good booze for all the work I put in. Let's say I do a 7 gallon bucket of corn mash, I get about 1.25 gallons of low wines give or take a couple quarts depending on how hard I run and how good my conversion was and how much sugar I juiced it with and how much lees I left in the bucket after racking into the kettle.

I gather up about 5 gallons of low wines, do a 2nd run and wind up with maybe 4 or 5 pints of good stuff, the rest is all tailsy. I guess I'm real sensitive to tails, the slightest hint of that bitter wet cardboard taste and smell, I reject it. My wife doesn't mind it, says it tastes too corny (as if there is such a thing!) but she drinks it all the same. It gives me the acid reflux. I have a long range experiment with some tailsy stuff on very heavy oak to see if that makes it tasty; I'm not optimistic.

3 hours for a stripping run times 3 of those, 6 hours for a spirit run, not counting time spent fussing with mashing and racking setup and teardown and cleaning, is like 15 hours. For 2 quarts, watered to drinking strength, so double that. Seems low, makes me frustrated.
SuburbanStiller

Re: What's your yield?

Postby kiwi » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:00 am

How long do you age?
Specialization is for insects.
kiwi

Equipment type: Pot/VM combo (thanks Punkin)

Postby Fester » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:23 am

I've been told that max yield is about 2 gallons of ethanol per bushel of corn, if everything is PERFECT.
It sounds like you have done very well indeed.
I did what you are doing. Several times. Each time I felt defeated because I was spoiled to fermenting sugar.
Sugar is easy, corn is hard. Everybody know this after they mash corn.
Its your decision to follow the best possible flavor with a tiny yield or cop out and be a sugar wimp like me.

Cry on my shoulder, fellow wimp, and dump a 50 pound sack of sugar in the trash can fermenter.

Assuming a 6% potiential ABV mash then 1 gallon = .06 gallons of ethanol potential. About 60% of that will be good stuff.
So .06 gallons times 60% = a tiny piss in a cup. OK, more scientifically... .06 gallons = about one cup
At best, about 60% of that is the keepers so about 1/2 Cup of high proof per gallon of 6% mash.
Cut to drinking strength = about 1 cup of finished booze per gallon of mash.

Stop me at anytime so we can cry together.

You did 7 gallons of all-grain and are bitching about low yield? No, no, my friend, you did good.
Fester

Postby dellae » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:58 am

+1 on what Fester said.

I used to do AG barley - just so I could say 'been there'.
Dump the sugar in, don't be greedy (<10% abv) and no one will know.

I've not had any bad feedback from the whiskey drinking mates that have tried it.
Just do it!
dellae

Equipment type: 65mm x 1mtr CM (shotgun reflux), 50L electric kettle.
4.75kW heating with 3 elements. SSR40 power controller.
SS T500, retasked to tea urn duty.
And the proud owner of a SD Parrot.

Postby Fester » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:09 am

dellae wrote:...Dump the sugar in...

tode jah!
Fester

Postby hard times » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:24 pm

So a sugar wash, a can of cream corn or
cornflakes to flavor makes a good factsimily
without all the conversion headaches as I understand it?
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good
as they're going to feel all day.

Good fortune takes preparation.
hard times

Postby Fester » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Yes, the corn - especially in an UJ kind of wash - is for a flavored sugar liquor.

I'd say do both, all grain and sugar washes.
Then you can have lots of homemade booze (sugar wash) and a few precious liters of true whiskey (all grain).

I doubt you will be giving any of the all grain whiskey away.
Fester

Postby pintoshine » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:04 pm

I have analyzed this problem many, many times. The number I seem to always arrive at is 42% by weight.
What I mean by this is that there is a theoretical yield of a certain weight of sugar should get converted to a certain weight alcohol. At 60F ethanol is .789 g/cm3. I have calculated the maximum possible yield at 54% alcohol being that one sucrose yields 4 ethanol molecules. After separating heads, tails and drinkable alcohol I bottle 42% by weight. That is a 77% yield.
So if I started with 1.0 kgs sucrose it should yield 0.42 kgs drinkable alcohol. divide that by 0.789 and this will give me a volume of 0.532 L pure ethanol or 1.064 L at 50%. I usually round to 1 L 50% per kg sugar.
converting to gallons an pounds, this is 0.12 gallons per lb. or 1.2 gallons of 50% from 10 lbs of sugar.
Some one check my math but I am pretty sure it is accurate.
Now if I calculate the total ethanol yield adding what is in the heads, hearts and tails, I get about 97% efficiency.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
58L thumping spirit still
20L copper pot

Postby big worm » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:21 pm

this is why you need a beer keg sized boiler that holds 13-14 gal., and a fermenter that holds 55.

ujssm might give you the corn flavor, and the sugar yeilds you'r looking for.
edit..
3 hours to strip 7 gal or 9 hours for 21 gal?? what size pot and heat source? that seems a bit long for that small amount on a striping run.
"It is wise to learn how to ferment local products that are cheap and abundant."
big worm

Postby Azframer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:44 pm

You sound like you are on par with what I get out of mine, like worm says get a keg ASAP. Don't feel bad I go through the same here, just don't worry about a headache next day drinking my own stuff. :8)
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby SuburbanStiller » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:41 am

kiwi wrote:How long do you age?

A month or two if oaking. A few days to a week if drinking white dog. I had some panty dropper that I did with strawberries and home grown cherries that stayed for a few months before it was gone. I haven't got yield up high enough to really set some hooch down for a good long rest. I get thirsty!
SuburbanStiller

Postby SuburbanStiller » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:47 am

Fester wrote:I've been told that max yield is about 2 gallons of ethanol per bushel of corn, if everything is PERFECT.
It sounds like you have done very well indeed.
I did what you are doing. Several times. Each time I felt defeated because I was spoiled to fermenting sugar.
Sugar is easy, corn is hard. Everybody know this after they mash corn.
Its your decision to follow the best possible flavor with a tiny yield or cop out and be a sugar wimp like me.

Cry on my shoulder, fellow wimp, and dump a 50 pound sack of sugar in the trash can fermenter.

Assuming a 6% potiential ABV mash then 1 gallon = .06 gallons of ethanol potential. About 60% of that will be good stuff.
So .06 gallons times 60% = a tiny piss in a cup. OK, more scientifically... .06 gallons = about one cup
At best, about 60% of that is the keepers so about 1/2 Cup of high proof per gallon of 6% mash.
Cut to drinking strength = about 1 cup of finished booze per gallon of mash.

Stop me at anytime so we can cry together.

You did 7 gallons of all-grain and are bitching about low yield? No, no, my friend, you did good.

OK good. Those are numbers I guess I can live with if that's in line with what others are getting.

And no, I have not done a full set of honest corn mash, stripped and distilled. I do one or two, get frustrated with how much damn work that is, then use some of the spent corn with sugar to juice up enough low wines for a spirit run.
SuburbanStiller

Postby SuburbanStiller » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:59 am

big worm wrote:this is why you need a beer keg sized boiler that holds 13-14 gal., and a fermenter that holds 55.

ujssm might give you the corn flavor, and the sugar yeilds you'r looking for.
edit..
3 hours to strip 7 gal or 9 hours for 21 gal?? what size pot and heat source? that seems a bit long for that small amount on a striping run.

It's usually about 6 gals of mash/wash (7 gal fermenter pail with 1 gal of lees left behind), 40 mins to boil, take off at 2 quarts an hour, average of 5 quarts total, so yeah about 3ish hours.

I have an 8 gal stainless turkey friar with propane. Time to step up to a keg I guess!
SuburbanStiller

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill