• Advertisement

Today in the Shed volume II

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Re: Today in the Shed volume II

Postby Kapea » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Oddball wrote:like another member said "if it aint free it aint for me"

Another member said, "You get what you pay for."
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby Bushman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:26 am

Ran my last sweet feed for a while as I am shutting down until I remodel my rec room. Updating everything and adding a bar so I can't have my sub contractors using my downstairs basement bath aka fermenting room during the remodel.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby Tracker » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:01 am

Oddball wrote:blew steam (water) through my new keg boiler-pot still head doing a cleaning run, stepping up from 1.5 gallon pot straight to 15.5!
robbed the gas controls from an old grill, made my own burner, might be a little under powered...
doing what I can with what's at hand, like another member said "if it aint free it aint for me"

Lotta good stuff been made from old stuff. :rkn:

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby Bayou-Ruler » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 am

Ran off 50 gallon Sugar Wash

Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer
AFP-LA-15027
Bayou-Ruler

Equipment type: 3'' CM Reflux Column & Pot Still w/55 gallon boiler all in Stainless Steel

Postby Dan P. » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:46 am

Working my way through mashing 50kg of 50/50 oats and peated barley for a poitin style whiskey, 9kg at a time.
I thought I had gotten through 18kg, and was getting worried about the lack of sweetness in my wort, before I realized I was adding multiples of lbs rather than kgs, and had only gotten through 18lbs!
D'oh!
Dan P.

Equipment type: pot still

Postby dutchmancreek » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:01 pm

Bushman wrote: Updating everything and adding a bar

You'll love it. Adding a bar was one of the best improvements I've made. It took a while but was worth it. (there's some pictures around here somewhere).
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby Beerswimmer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:30 pm

Stripping 50gals of sweetfeed wash that has been sitting since the Superbowl. I'll do one more gen and then switch to something with more corn in it. Maybe 60% corn and 20% each of rye and wheat? Just missing the corn flavor.
UT ALII VIVANT !!!!
Beerswimmer

Postby Oddball » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:15 am

did the spirit run of blackberry schnapps with my new still (15.5 keg and simple potstill head) runs good, sure is more fun than the old 1.5 gallon pot!
Woof, woof, woof! That's my other dog imitation.
Oddball

Equipment type: 15 gallon stainless keg with worm, propane fired. use my old boiler sometimes as thumper just built a lebig and will use it next run

Postby goinbroke2 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:39 am

Well, I decided to go all-grain lately and cut the top off one of my kegs to make a "keggle". Used 25lb's of tri-mix (corn/barley/oats) and enzimes and got 30+L of liquid to ferment. Strip run started at 45% and I took it to 20%. Got about 8-10L of strip. Now I've got almost a full 20L of low wines to run.
Since that was the last of my tri-mix I bought 55lb's of cracked corn and 50lb's of cracked barley. I've got 8lb's of flaked oats and 5lb's of flaked rye too...Not sure if I'll use enzimes again or get some malted barley. Problem is, the brew shops around here are brain dead. I ask what the diastatic power is and they give me a blank stare...."and you SELL this stuff" I think to my self...

Oh, LOVED the smell of all grain, I might of made my last sugar wash/ujsm...
goinbroke2

Equipment type: 58L keg, 25' of copper coil, 72,000btu burner, 205L fermenting barrel

Postby dellae » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:46 am

Malt or enzymes - really the only question is - do you want barley or not in your mash.

Enzymes are great if you are buying grains on the open market.
Just do it!
dellae

Equipment type: 4" - 7 Plate SD Bubble/Sieve, (65mm x 1mtr - now retired) (Shell'n'tube reflux), 50L electric kettle.
6kW heating with 3 elements. SSR40 power controller.
And a growing list of SD Parts.

Postby Bushman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:02 am

Purchased a hand planer and am planing down some 1x2's that I laminated for a bar top.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby goinbroke2 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:18 pm

dellae wrote:Malt or enzymes - really the only question is - do you want barley or not in your mash.

Enzymes are great if you are buying grains on the open market.

Well, there's lots of barley since it's a 100% barley grainbill in the mash I just did. But if I use enzimes I know there is diastatic power, if I use malted barley, I'm not 100% sure I'm buying the right stuff. At first they were going to sell me DME (dried malt extract) which they said was good but I know after reading here and other places that DME has ZERO diastatic power because of the heated drying process it went through. So now, I'm a little reluctant to heed any of their "advice".

Until I'm comfortable with the malted grain I buy, I'll stick to enzimes I guess.

So...I'm uploading pic's right now to photobucket, as soon as they're done I'll post them.
goinbroke2

Equipment type: 58L keg, 25' of copper coil, 72,000btu burner, 205L fermenting barrel

Postby dellae » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:43 am

gb2 - DME or LME is already fully converted so can be used just like sugar (but with plenty of malt flavour).
I've done lots of LME/DME ferments and they have great flavour - pity about the price.

Do a small test mash with your malt and check conversion with the iodine test.
This should give you an indication if it is ok to use in larger batches.
Just do it!
dellae

Equipment type: 4" - 7 Plate SD Bubble/Sieve, (65mm x 1mtr - now retired) (Shell'n'tube reflux), 50L electric kettle.
6kW heating with 3 elements. SSR40 power controller.
And a growing list of SD Parts.

Postby goinbroke2 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:00 am

Oh I agree they've been converted, but I want something to convert starches, I don't want a sugar substitute. (although that does sound interesting too)
I am doing iodine tests and yes I'm getting full conversion with the enzimes.
Here's some pic's of the last run;
Using a paint mixer (actually I think it's a mortar mixer) to mix everything and watching the temp;

Adding enzimes and mixing in;

Wrapped in 4 blankets and let rest;

iodine test, it's good!
goinbroke2

Postby Kapea » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:05 am

Ask for six-row malted barley. It has more enzymes than two-row. Brewers who mash corn and rice use it because of the extra enzyme power.

Ask the folks at the LHBS to see the spec sheets on their grains. That will have the degrees Lintner (the measure of diastatic power) listed on it.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

PreviousNext

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill