• Advertisement

Quik-Grits == Lazy Mans Cereal Mash

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Quik-Grits == Lazy Mans Cereal Mash

Postby sugarcreek » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Im always looking for a way to get corn into my mash without having to first do a cereal mash on it. Today while I was eating lunch using the Google machine I came across this patent pertaining to grits saying:

Grits and like proteinaceous material in a form suitable for quick cooking and possessing a good texture and taste which is comparable to ordinary cooked grits and proteinaceous material is produced by fully gelatinizing the material with water and subsequently freezing the gelatinized material at a controlled rate. The gelatinized material is allowed to thaw and excess water is separated by a means for squeezing. The material is then dried to a final moisture content of less than 10% yielding a product which may be readily consumed without cooking in a minimum amount of time. The final product possesses good re-hydration qualities.

Forget all the stuff about freezing. It got me thinking, if quick grits have been fully gelatinized, could I use mash them with 2-row at standard temps and get all of their corny goodness and sugars without having to do a cereal mash? The assumption is that modern quick qrits are in fact fully gelitainized. Anyone want to run an experiment??
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Re: Quik-Grits == Lazy Mans Cereal Mash

Postby pintoshine » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:38 pm

I've done it sc. Not too much corny goodness. it is missing the germ and the corn oil which gives good corn mash its flavor. Cornflakes actually work better and have better nutrition for the yeast. I have mash cornflakes at 150 several times. Great conversions. And good corn taste. Fuller than UJSM.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby zedzedtop » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:02 pm

How do the quickgrits compare to rolled corn?
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby pintoshine » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:11 pm

whole rolled corn isn't any different that mashed corn except you don't get as much corn oil with rolled corn.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby pockets » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:40 pm

Corn meal converts real well. I have added corn starch as well. To messy for me. I like scratch grain.
pockets

Postby micah-jon » Mon May 15, 2017 2:34 am

Resurrecting an old thread here but hoping for some input...

I have recently done some AG mashes and used polenta. Mt stock is currently resting on oak and not ready yet. The advise from other forums was that if the polenta is yellow it contains the germ. White polenta or corn meal does not contain the germ.

Anyone in the know care to chime in here?
micah-jon

Equipment type: 4" Bubbler with pro caps
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill