• Advertisement

Tell me about panela rum

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Tell me about panela rum

Postby Beerswimmer » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:40 pm

Started my first ferment today and am full of questions. I used 7 1/2lbs of panela and bread yeast in a 5gal ferment.

What yeast dou think is best with panela?
What way do you run this? A single run, or several strips and then a spirit?
Do you use dunder in the ferments or not?
Do you age/funk your dunder?
What is the flavor comparable to?
Do you age it on wood, or keep wite?

I have been making rum for years, and usually prefer heavy, funky Navy style rums. Very curious about panela :)
UT ALII VIVANT !!!!
Beerswimmer

Re: Tell me about panela rum

Postby dad300 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:21 pm

Hmmm...it is more raw than brown sugar, has some solids in it, darker closer to molasses...I think it comes out a little lighter than molasses. As weird as this sounds, I think it has or adds a chocolate component to the flavor.

Throw a small piece in your coffee tomorrow.

I run it in a reflux column and go for high 80% off the still, air it over night and blend the cuts.

I age all rum with oak for a month or so and add a drop of sherry per liter.

If it's a little less quality than expected or I have an abundance I'll spice some for the family.
dad300

Equipment type: CCVM any size...

Postby FullySilenced » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:44 pm

Your a good DAD:

"I have an abundance I'll spice some for the family"
FullySilenced

Postby southerncloud » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:46 pm

I'm in the middle of my first Panela (of Chinese Yunnan Origin) ferment now.

I used wild yeast from the skin of sugar cane grown in the region of China I live in. I started with a SG of around 1040 and am now down to around 1020 so its sitting at about 4.5%.

The fermentation is still going albeit very slow so I am going to distill it tonight on Valentines Day. It will be my Valenwine!

I am going to keep it white and drink it within the next two weeks with my friends.

I will reuse the dunder with another wash from the same Panela like substance and see if the fermentation is faster the second time around!

Good luck with yours!
southerncloud

Postby Smaug » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:20 pm

Beerswimmer wrote:Started my first ferment today and am full of questions. I used 7 1/2lbs of panela and bread yeast in a 5gal ferment.

What yeast dou think is best with panela? I have been using bread yeast but am keen to try anything that imparts a fruit note
What way do you run this? A single run, or several strips and then a spirit? A single spirit run colleting in the 90s
Do you use dunder in the ferments or not? I have and will again but not always.
Do you age/funk your dunder? I have and will again but not always.
What is the flavor comparable to? When Funking up the ferment, a good amount of flavor will carry even when collecting in the 90s. It has a floral quality when young
Do you age it on wood, or keep wite? I usually keep white as I prefer an unmasked result....Plus oaking at my speed gives me hearts burn.

I have been making rum for years, and usually prefer heavy, funky Navy style rums. Very curious about panela :)

@ dad I do get the hint of chocolat when dunder is used.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby dad300 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:46 pm

FS, the worst part is seeing the family, mix it with soda....ahhhhh.....
dad300

Equipment type: CCVM any size...

Postby Beerswimmer » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:55 pm

lwtcs, I guess you are my rum inspiration in a few ways......so let me ask you: I prefer heavy Navy style rums. Will panela make one, or is it more of a gold or spiced rum base? You have made a lot of panela rums, I figure you would be able to tell me what I should expect, and what I really shouldn't.
UT ALII VIVANT !!!!
Beerswimmer

Postby Smaug » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:10 pm

I never really fooled with heavier rums. At least on the distilling side.
When going for more robust notes I usually use aged dunder and / or aged rum beer.
By doing so,the lower purity levels are a bit on the sour side for me. But when collected in the 90s it is quite good and not at all lacking for my taste. And as dad notes, some chocolate does come over. I am well into tails at 89%

I use the panela because it works best for my budget. Not sure if it will approximate what you are looking for but if you find this material is the most economical then perhaps molasses supplementing the panela for more flavor would be helpful?
Smaug

Postby vb » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:09 pm

few years back I did an experiment with ec1116 yeast. just as alcohol tolerant as 1118 but not as aggressive.
I thought it brought some more fruity/floral notes out in the rum, I havent attempted to recreate the run, but my licence is coming so I'm going to try at least a 30 gallon batch.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby Dan P. » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Panela Rum;
I've just done my first few runs of a batch of jaggery wash, jaggery being the same thing as panela.
I wouldn't really, personally, identify this as rum.
I would label it "cane spirit", aka "cachaca" or "rhum agricole".
Dan P.

Equipment type: pot still

Postby zedzedtop » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:11 am

I'm very curious about the panela. Done rum with 5gal buckets of high quality molasses for a friend a few times, and it's been near the best stuff I've ever made. Panels seems about the same cost, and I've heard very good mention of it here....
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby zedzedtop » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:15 am

I thought agricole rhum has to be made from non-concentrated-sugar-source, i.e. fermented cane juice. Basically made on-site in the fields, as the juice is incredibly perishable (fermentable!). Wild yeast abound, especially on cane pressing machinery on the side of the field.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby Dan P. » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:25 pm

zedzedtop wrote:I thought agricole rhum has to be made from non-concentrated-sugar-source, i.e. fermented cane juice. Basically made on-site in the fields, as the juice is incredibly perishable (fermentable!). Wild yeast abound, especially on cane pressing machinery on the side of the field.

The panela spirit I've made has the sugar cane juice rum taste, whatever you want to call it.
It is a nice drink, but it sort falls outside of my established categories of spirit, and there has been more enthusiastic forum chatter about panela than I, personally, think it deserves.
Dan P.

Equipment type: pot still

Postby Beerswimmer » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:47 pm

Stripping mine right now on my pot still. There isn't much flavor at all really. Very mild, almost neutral. I'll be making a gen2 with 50% dunder to see if I can get any flavor.

Oh there were some bug parts, a lot of plant fibers, and sand and gravel in the bottom of the ferment or!
UT ALII VIVANT !!!!
Beerswimmer

Postby Smaug » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:48 am

Yes the processing areas are often set up directly adjacent to the feilds and are very basic open air structures.
I counted 3 whole honey bees when I dumped my last spent boiler.
Smaug

Next

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill