• Advertisement

Bad wine to brandy

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Re: Bad wine to brandy

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:35 pm

There are lots of really, really smart people in Washington State. :D
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby ElectricEd » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:31 am

Down here in Oz we have found that if the wine was originally a good one, it doesn't matter if it is corked, badly oxidised or only half filling the bottle, it will make a great brandy.
We have also found that you cannot make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. If it was a cheap wine with bad overtones, it will make a lousy brandy.
We recently emptied a cellar of 2 pallet loads of wine that had been put down in 1986. It consisted of cabernet, chiraz and pinot. Just about every bottle was corked and around 10% were only half full.
I found one bottle of cabernet that still had a good cork so I tried it. It was like drinking liquid velvet. Anyway, we stripped about 1500 litres and then did several spirit runs to make around 160 litres @91% of the best wine spirit yet.
We didn't bother wooding it as it is a beautiful drink with a dash of soda and a block of ice.
If we do put a wine spirit on oak we use medium toast French oak dominoes at 1 domino per litre for 4 months. Any more and it will be over wooded. It makes a lovely brandy that is like Cognac or Armagnac.
Tax?
What's that?
ElectricEd

Equipment type: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2 x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby punkin » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:02 am

Great info Ed, thanks.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Duracell » Sat May 13, 2017 11:45 am

I tried this about a year ago with some bad white wine. I had some french oak chips so I used those at about 62.5%, I think there was about 18L total spirit. Haven't tasted it yet but I'll report back on how it turned out.
Duracell

Previous

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill