• Advertisement

Rum experiment

This is for the "What in the world is that?" category. You have something different, something odd or just putting things together in a different way?. Tell us about it and let us comment, laugh, or puke....

Rum experiment

Postby vickrockafeller » Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Having never made rum, i'm going to try to dial in a good rum recipe within the next month or so. My plan is to make 15 gallons. I'm think I'm going to start with table grade molasses, use enough to bring it to 19 Plato. Bring it to a boil to sanitize, and then divide it into 3 different carboys. Ill pitch 3 different yeasts. Thinking baker's yeast, a distiller's yeast, and a Trappist Belgian ale yeast. Same nutrient, just oxygenate the Belgian. Then run each one through a four plate column still.

Do a taste test to pick my favorite yeast, and then do it again. This time, if I want it cleaner i'll use cane sugar, if I want more flavor ill use blackstrap and sugar. Maybe even a little honey or something to be creative. Same starting gravity, and at a ratio that will give me approximately the same ABV, if I can figure that out. 3 Carboys again, one with my favorite yeast from the last round, the other with something different. Maybe a Saison, or a brett/sacc blend or a rum specific yeast? still not sure. Maybe change up the yeast nutrient. Probably the same distillation, unless I really don't like anything from the first batch and want to radically change it.

I'll come back with my results. Any suggestions?
vickrockafeller

Re: Rum experiment

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue May 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Coupla things to watch for: Molasses is a mix of fermentable sugars and unfermentable sugars, and they both show up in the specific gravity readings. You really need to find out the percentage of fermentable to know what your Plato reading really means.

Also, all those unfermenable sugars will show up in your final gravity.

I love making rum, but you need to unjigger what you think the right numbers are, or you'll be confused.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby vickrockafeller » Wed May 10, 2017 9:33 am

For sure @Zymurgy Bob. I was figuring on 90% fermentable on the table grade. That's why I went as high as 19P. I'm hoping to get close to 8% AVB wash. Guess I actually need to go up to 20P to hit that. Think I read here that blackstrap is around 65% fermentable, so if I go that route I was going to try to figure out a balance of blackstrap and sugar to give me a similar Plato and final AVB. Thanks.
vickrockafeller

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed May 10, 2017 5:49 pm

Sounds like you've got it covered. Some distillers are surprised by the numbers when they start to make rum.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Return to Experimental Recipes