• Advertisement

Trying for fruity rum again with Hefeweizen yeast

This is for the "What in the world is that?" category. You have something different, something odd or just putting things together in a different way?. Tell us about it and let us comment, laugh, or puke....

Re: Trying for fruity rum again with Hefeweizen yeast

Postby Pikey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:13 pm

Hmm - 160 ?

Do you think, if you dropped the wash to say 30% and collected at 65% ish you might carry more flavour across ? - Just a thought, it seems you are very pleased with your run and the thread also gives us other places to look for the "fruitiness" in those heavy rums.

It does look as though a mucky tater is needed tho ' :roflmao:
Pikey

Postby zedzedtop » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:59 pm

I'm thinking of supplementing my usual safspirit malt with some WY3068 next few runs to see how that pans out. I've managed to coax banana from SsMalt in the past, but I haven't always been able to reproduce that. In fact it's been years. I wonder if SsMalt is different now than it was.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby Shine0n » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:35 am

With running a thumper the abv will be higher as usual, I collect down to 10-15 % if it's not 100f or I run out of propane. It's all uncut until I have to dilute it and using the infected dunder helps without having to use as much water as well.

In the spirit run I'll get past the cloudy tails and collect that and use it for dilution but only at 10-20% Sweetwater as it's packed with flavors and little alc but it's better than using water!

I'm also thinking of using a different yeast to introduce some fruity esters and will do so after all my infected dunder experiments
Shine0n

Postby Shine0n » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:40 am

I remember in the winter that my aquarium heater went ape shit and cooked my ferment to like 135f, it was done anyway but it made the most wonderful butter aromas and taste to the spirit.

I might try and do an experiment with that again and see if that's how I ended up with the best fukn rum I've ever tasted. hmmm!
Shine0n

Previous

Return to Experimental Recipes