• Advertisement

Green Grappa?

This is for the "What in the world is that?" category. You have something different, something odd or just putting things together in a different way?. Tell us about it and let us comment, laugh, or puke....

Green Grappa?

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:47 pm

I'm in the process of trying to start producing grappa from local island winery pomace for Cultus Bay Distillery, and we're now in the process of distilling our first attempt.

Although it wasn't my first choice, the first pomace that became available to us was a pinot gris pomace, crushed, but not de-stemmed or fermented. I'm using the grappa method where you re-hydrate the pomace with sweetened water, ferment, and then distill on the pomace. On the first try we used a modest amount of sugar, 10 pounds to about 35 gallons of moist pomace, and enough water to allow us to actually have a cap to punch down.

We're using a triple-distillation method, and I messed up and puked the still run right at first. No biggy, because it was just a stripping run, but the collected distillate was cloudy. We're doing the second run as I write, and here's where the question comes.

Why is my distillate green? Not cloudy ookie green, but a crystal-clear very very pale green, actually kinda nice looking. I'm kinda suspecting it's the stems in the pomace, but I figured someone here might have a good answer.

Friday we're getting 2 55-gallon barrels full of stemless, already-fermented, cabernet sauvignon pomace (that I didn't have to fork off the top of the compost pile, fighting yellow jackete all the time)
so stems or green may never be a problem again.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Re: Green Grappa?

Postby punkin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:21 pm

You know as well as me that the vapour is all clear, so the green is coming from somewhere else than the ferment Bob.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Saltbush Bill » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:22 pm

Punkins right , no colour is going to come through in the vapor in my opinion, must be coming from the still or some other source.
Saltbush Bill

Equipment type: 2 inch pot still 25L boiler. 2 1/2 inch pot still 50L boiler

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:21 pm

Well, I'm about 98% with you guys, but on 2 occasions I've had (very very faint) color appear. In one case it was one fraction of a strawberry brandy run with the faintest pink color while the fractions before and after were completely clear. In the other case it was a very faint amber color (you had to put white paper behind it to be sure), which disappeared completely by the next day.

I really do understand still vapor should be colorless, but I'm not ready to bet a lot that there are no colorless volatile compounds.

When I was 30 I knew everything, and I was certain about it. Anymore, I don't know shit.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Pa_bon » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:17 am

When I was 30 I knew everything, and I was certain about it. Anymore, I don't know shit.

Love the way you put things into words Z-Bob.

ShouldaBeenAPoet
Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
An echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Postby punkin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:21 pm

Now you have me doubting it. But i'd bet it's coming from the copper.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:51 am

Actually, Punkin, I hadn't thought of that. If that's the case, the ammonia test should indicate Cu++ with a dark blue color. Thanks for the insight.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby pintoshine » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:04 am

I know this one. You are distilling over something that creates micro droplets that are small enough to carry over in the vapor. Usually the solution is to slow way down. Of course this is not possible in production environments. So the solution is adding anti-foam. The breaking foam bubbles are creating these micro droplets. This happens with grain which has little oil. Its resulting heads are usually bright yellow under fluorescent or other vapor bulbs. It disappears taken outside in the sunlight. Weird Huh?
Take some outside and see if it clears up.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:10 pm

Hot damn, Pint. Sounds like you've got it. And yes, I drove some of this kinda hard just because the condenser can take it. I'll keep you posted, but I don't have another grappa ferment ready just yet.

Thanks a bunch.

Zymurgy Bob

Return to Experimental Recipes