• Advertisement

Nochino/ Nocino/ wallnut schnapps

This is for the "What in the world is that?" category. You have something different, something odd or just putting things together in a different way?. Tell us about it and let us comment, laugh, or puke....

Nochino/ Nocino/ wallnut schnapps

Postby emptyglass » Mon May 14, 2018 9:45 am

For a 2 litre maceration

24-30 green walnuts (can use "black" walnuts but must be unripe), washed.
1 cinnamon stick
8-10 cloves, bruised if you like
zest of 1 lemon
about 1.6 litres of very clean neutral at 42-45% ABV.

Cut walnuts into quarters. Use gloves as they stain really bad
In a 2 litre wide mouth jar add walnuts and other ingredients, top with neutral, stir and let infuse for 2-3 months, gently shaking every 2 weeks or so. Dont get anal over this.

After 2-3 months, filter and add a simple sugar syrup (you might have to use a corse filter then a fine one, its a bugger to filter)
Syrup; 600ml water and 2 cups white sugar dissolved and cooled.
After adding the syrup it should end up about 40% ABV.

I found that adding sweetener after its been infused is important. Some recipes add the sugar in the infusion stage, I dont agree. And as usual, adjust sugar level to your taste.

Its now ready to drink but better to leave it another month.
Never ask a barber if you need a haircut.
emptyglass

Equipment type: 50L keg boiler.
4" perforated 5 plate column.
Gas fired.

Re: Nochino/ Nocino/ wallnut schnapps

Postby just sayin' » Mon May 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Nice write up, Emptyglass! I read Pint's original post many years ago and wanted to give it a try but never thought about it until the walnut were too mature.
I have been watching native black walnuts here with a little excitement. I finally made my first batch last June and it is really improving every time I give it a taste, the sharp edges are mellowing and the chocolate and coffee notes are revealing themselves.
I added sugar to the drained nuts and rolled the jars for a few weeks, it extracted alcohol and flavor from nuts forming it's own syrup. I unfortunately added too much of this back to my Nocino for my taste.
I hope to make a much larger batch this year so I can age it for several years.
Really worth the effort, it keeps getting more complexed each month.
Thanks for your post!
just sayin'

Postby punkin » Mon May 14, 2018 4:14 pm

When you say cloves do you mean the spice or a clove of garlic? I have been caught out with this before is all as the guys in the US tend to think of a clove as a garlic bulb.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Saltbush Bill » Mon May 14, 2018 6:28 pm

Pretty sure its Cloves as in the spice ..not garlic.
I'll vouch that this recipes is a goodun, Ive still got a few thimble fulls put aside for a special occasion, Empty gave me a bottle of this stuff about 2 1/2 years ago......it gets better as it ages in my opinion.
Saltbush Bill

Equipment type: 2 inch pot still 25L boiler. 2 1/2 inch pot still 50L boiler

Postby S-Cackalacky » Mon May 14, 2018 7:18 pm

I froze a couple of batches of unripened black walnets last year with intentions of making a batch of this with the completion of my CCVM build and making some neutral. I hope to get it done this year come hell or high water. I'll be following Just Sayin's lead on when to harvest more walnuts. He and I live in the same neck of the woods and black walnut grows like weeds around here.

Thanks for your take on this MT. I've also heard of folks making this with nothing more than the walnut maceration. Might make a batch of each to compare.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Pikey » Mon May 14, 2018 7:45 pm

Dunno - I did this a few years back - with English walnut harvested early June 13 fruits - left ti blacken in the sun, then macerated in 60% white dog.

Totally undrinkable after 2 months. still undrinkable but less so - and a quite nasty after taste !

Just taste it very regular and get them nuts out as soon as you can !
Pikey

Postby The Baker » Tue May 15, 2018 4:24 am

Pikey said, ' Totally undrinkable after 2 months. still undrinkable but less so - and a quite nasty after taste !'.....

I tried to make some nocino a few years ago with much the same result.

I'll look carefully at this method.

Geoff
The Baker

Equipment type: Pot still

Postby emptyglass » Tue May 15, 2018 6:47 am

Sorry for the confusion punkin, cloves as in the spice.

Pikey. I've had best results using them as fresh as possible. I havn't come across "black" walnuts here in Oz but by green I mean to use them unripe, before the kernel has formed properly.

Picture shows a fresh batch just put down and what they look like afterwards

nochino.jpg
emptyglass

Gas fired.

Postby Kareltje » Tue May 15, 2018 5:27 pm

I made two batches in 2017: one recipe with cinnamon and clove and one with vanille.
Cut about 13 green, unripe walnuts into quarts, macerated with either 40 or 60 %ABV alcohol and botanicals and sugar.
Sieved and filtered after about 2 months, let it rest for 6 more months and bottled at about 40 %ABV.

Funny observation: after one day there was a black upper layer over the green greater mass. After shaking all went black.
Someone on some forum suggested the possibility that, by excluding oxygen, the whole macerate would stay green through the whole process. And than, when you pour this green liquid in the glass, it would become black.
For the maceration that could be done: fill the jar with alcohol, light it and close it. The fire should use all the oxygen.
But then the sieving and filtering would pose problems. Not really practical for us, I guess.

Today I tasted the results.
Too sweet for my taste, to start with.
And I did not use clean neutral distillate.
Some friend I asked talked about a hospital taste.

I expect some hangover tomorrow. :evil:

Edit: No hangover. :D
Kareltje

Postby Saltbush Bill » Tue May 15, 2018 5:54 pm

Imagine black liquid sweetened walnuts in your mouth ...................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm thats what the bottle Empty gave me is like.
Saltbush Bill

Equipment type: 2 inch pot still 25L boiler. 2 1/2 inch pot still 50L boiler

Postby emptyglass » Wed May 16, 2018 10:55 am

@kareltje

I haven't done enough enough experiments to say for sure, but I really feel you need to let the maceration happen before any sweetening.

Save that for after you've let it macerate. I think you'll find a significant difference in the end product. Add sugar syrup to taste after its let macerate.

I dont know how it works on a chemical level, but I think the sugar messes up the process while its taking up the walnut flavour. Add it after its done to your taste
emptyglass

Gas fired.

Postby Kareltje » Wed May 16, 2018 4:32 pm

emptyglass wrote:@kareltje

I haven't done enough enough experiments to say for sure, but I really feel you need to let the maceration happen before any sweetening.

Save that for after you've let it macerate. I think you'll find a significant difference in the end product. Add sugar syrup to taste after its let macerate.

I dont know how it works on a chemical level, but I think the sugar messes up the process while its taking up the walnut flavour. Add it after its done to your taste

Yes, I read your advice about adding sugar after the maceration of the botanicals and I found it worth remembering. But I made my nocino in 2017, before I read your advice.

If there is a next time, I will surely make a comparison.
Kareltje

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed May 16, 2018 6:31 pm

How about using simple syrup as a mixer when pouring a drink? Does it mix well with anything else?
S-Cackalacky

Postby just sayin' » Wed May 16, 2018 7:22 pm

I have read if mixed with heavy whipping cream in will instantly set like a custard as a dessert. I have nearly year old Nocino and heavy cream in my kitchen, I am asking myself why I have not done the experiment...I will report back.
I poured a tablespoon this morning, one of the small perks of being recently retired, I had it along side of my morning coffee. It reminded me a little bit of Pepsi this morning. I have never cared much for Pepsi, so I was slightly disappointed. I finally found the two liter jar of straight macerated green walnuts, no sugar, minimal added spice and citrus, I am looking forward to little taste...
just sayin'

Postby just sayin' » Wed May 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Reporting back: just mixed a little Land of Lakes heavy whipping cream with a splash of Nocino. It did not set up, but it tastes wonderful. I can see a number of interesting possibilities...whipped cream, ice cream, sauce for bread pudding...damn! I will be doing more mixing and tasting. Cheese cake?
just sayin'

Next

Return to Experimental Recipes