• Advertisement

Aussie Gin

This is for the "What in the world is that?" category. You have something different, something odd or just putting things together in a different way?. Tell us about it and let us comment, laugh, or puke....

Aussie Gin

Postby Ron Rhum » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:15 am

I love Aus Native Botanicals and have been getting good results with this recipe for gin. I only make 1 Lt wash but have had good success rate and am now about to step up a 20 lt.

My Aussie GIN
g / Litre of 45% neutral
Juniper 20g
Coriander 10g
Lemon Myrtle 1.5g
Anise Myrtle 0.2g
Quandong 10g
Tasmanian Whole Pepperberry 1g
Grains Paradise 0.1g
Ginger 0.1g
Orris Root 0.1g
Cardomon 0.1g

Bruise the Juniper Berry
Crush Coriander, Pepperberry, Grains of Paradise Seeds & Cardamom Pods with Mortar and Pestel
Cut Fresh Lemon Myrtle leaves & Quandong Fruit into small pieces
Add Dried Ginger & Orris Root
Macerate 24 - 36 hrs in 1 Lt 45% neutral

Distill slowly take off first 10ml as heads
Next 450ml is gin at around 70% to 80%
Dilute to 45% and rest for 3 to 5 weeks

SWMBO loves this Gin
Cudos to ODIN for this method
I am also looking into a native Juniper bush, The Boobialla (Myoporum insulare) have not been able to source berries so may have to grow one.
Bullshit
Baffles Brains
Buggers Science
And Rules the World
Ron Rhum

Re: Aussie Gin

Postby just sayin' » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:21 am

Great post, thanks Ron! The native botanicals sound interesting, I found a source for the Tasmanian pepper berry but no quandong...
I had a taste of Inverroche South African native botanicals amber gin a few weeks ago, it blew me away, like nothing I have ever tasted. It greatly expanded my idea of what gin can be. Amazing stuff!
Thanks for sharing you recipe and method.
I am interested in hearing what the native juniper brings to your custom gin.
just sayin'

Postby The Baker » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:37 am

Ron, WAS it the native Juniper you used? That is, boobyalla?
When I was a kid we had a boobyalla hedge....

Geoff
The Baker

Equipment type: Pot still

Postby Ron Rhum » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:15 pm

Just Sayin,
You can buy dried Quandongs on line but they are quiet expensive over $100.00 per Kg. BUT it will
keep dried or frozen for up to 8 years and reconstitute with all flavours intact it is truly an amazing fruit. I know of a couple of wild groves out near Condobolin but you have to be Johnny on the Spot to get them.

The Baker, As I mentioned in my original post "I am also looking into a native Juniper bush, The Boobialla (Myoporum insulare) have not been able to source berries so may have to grow one."
Bullshit
Baffles Brains
Buggers Science
And Rules the World
Ron Rhum

Postby The Baker » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:59 pm

Boobialla grows well in the Mildura area, (North west Victoria, Australia) deep sandy loam, hot summers, frosty mornings in winter.
The seeds or plants must have been available (sixty years ago or more) because we had a hedge of it.
Also see google, I think it likes coastal dunes?

Geoff
The Baker

Postby sugarcreek » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:07 am

Does this not louche in the bottle? That's a fairly chunky botanical load.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:13 pm

Our gin has a substantial botanical load (I love that term - may I use it?) and at any given time it dances along the edge of louching, depending on temperature and maybe astrological sign. Our policy is that lots of flavor is the cause of the occasional light louche, and that's a good thing.

Our bottles are clear, and not frosted like many traditional London dry gins, and I suspect those frosted bottles were to suppress the louching question.

Anyway, it's a feature not a bug.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby sugarcreek » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:31 pm

Zymurgy Bob wrote:I love that term - may I use it?

Of course!

Zymurgy Bob wrote:and at any given time it dances along the edge of louching, depending on temperature and maybe astrological sign

No shit! We are producing a collaboration gin called "No Mean City" (long story) that is thankfully at 92 proof because pretty much everything we throw at it goes into solution at 46%

Zymurgy Bob wrote:Our policy is that lots of flavor is the cause of the occasional light louche, and that's a good thing.

A very, very good thing. I'm tired of wimpy, citrus forward gins. Oh these millennials...

Zymurgy Bob wrote:Anyway, it's a feature not a bug.

Always what I said from my software days!
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby Ron Rhum » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:15 pm

sugarcreek wrote:Does this not louche in the bottle? That's a fairly chunky botanical load.

I have had no loucheing with this "Botanical load" having said that this is still a work in progress as I only do small still charge of 1 to 1.5 Lt. I bottle @ 45% and leave it for up to five weeks it has always come off my small glass still clear @ 78% and remains clear after bottling. I will be reducing the Lemon Myrtle too 1g as it is overpowering the Quandong which is the flavour along with the Juniper that I am looking for before doing a 20 lt run. This is my recipe development Sill.
Attachments
IMG_1604 (3).JPG
2 Lt Glass Still
Bullshit
Baffles Brains
Buggers Science
And Rules the World
Ron Rhum

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:11 pm

sugarcreek wrote:
Zymurgy Bob wrote:Anyway, it's a feature not a bug.

Always what I said from my software days!

Sho 'nuf that's where I got it, too.

"Chunky botanical load" :lol: (Snort!)
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Ron Rhum » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:03 pm

Here is a pic of the last gin distillation, came off the still @ 78% diluted to 45% and has been in the jar for 9 days. It is clear with no louching.
Attachments
Gin 45%.JPG
Aus Gin 45%
Bullshit
Baffles Brains
Buggers Science
And Rules the World
Ron Rhum

Postby The Baker » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:26 pm

I guess you didn't leave the RUBBER ring in the jar.

I've got some of those jars and will probably wrap the ring in plumber's tape or run the tape around so as to protect the ring from alcohol and vapours.
I've got a bunch of the smaller ones and will use them (half full?) to put the product in from the still, probably with coffee filters and rubber bands. It wasn't worth buying the stainless lids and rubber rings and clips for them anyway.

Geoff
The Baker

Postby Ron Rhum » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:17 pm

Nah I just place the lid on loose as I reckon it lets a little air into the jar.
Bullshit
Baffles Brains
Buggers Science
And Rules the World
Ron Rhum

Return to Experimental Recipes