• Advertisement

Experimental DME whiskey

This is for the "What in the world is that?" category. You have something different, something odd or just putting things together in a different way?. Tell us about it and let us comment, laugh, or puke....

Re: Experimental DME whiskey

Postby ZeroGee » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:52 am

The point wasn't to choose one still type over another, but to produce an "aged" whiskey in a short period of time. The reason I use an LM still is because, until I tried this process, I used a sugar ferment and didn't want any flavor.

Yes, Copperhead, I caught the wink - and the choice of a flute (plated reflux) still.

To be honest, I'm lazy and don't want to invest any more time and money than I have to in distilling and enjoy extracting azeotrope (≈ 96% alcohol) in a single pass. It's a bit more exacting and requires some experience for precision output, but... it can also be made into a continuous still for 50 gallon ferments with a little thought.

However, the intent was to show that an "aged" whiskey can be made in 2 to 6 weeks. If you're experimenting with recipes, this will give you a good idea how it will turn out after several years barrel aging.

ZG
Age, in and of itself, does not confer wisdom.
Instead, it provides a list of mistakes you hope, profoundly, never to repeat.
ZeroGee

Equipment type: Stone & Nixon all copper 2" offset valve-head LM reflux column with a 60L SS electric boiler.

Previous

Return to Experimental Recipes