• Advertisement

Peach Brandy Moonshine

This is for the "What in the world is that?" category. You have something different, something odd or just putting things together in a different way?. Tell us about it and let us comment, laugh, or puke....

Re: Peach Brandy Moonshine

Postby Rebel_Yell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:08 am

I would add sugar to the pulp for a second run.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby Copperhead road » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:46 am

Rebel_Yell wrote:I would add sugar to the pulp for a second run.

Why would you add sugar to stripped low wines ?
I have got to go away for a week so have time to think how I will tackle his once I get back home.
my pet is a CCSC copper flute, I feed it corn and it pisses likker like a pony....
Copperhead road

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:02 am

CHR, I think he's talking about running a piggyback using the pulp leftover after straining/pressing what you currently have in the fermenter.
S-Cackalacky

Postby punkin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Yes Reb said add sugar to the pulp (backset) for a second ferment. He never mentioned anything about stripped low wines.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Copperhead road » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:29 pm

S-Cackalacky wrote:CHR, I think he's talking about running a piggyback using the pulp leftover after straining/pressing what you currently have in the fermenter.

Arrr OK, I have never thought about using the pulp a second time. It’s the first I have ever heard of that.
As you know Cackalacky that pear shine I did that turned out exceptionally well, I used the strained pulp and put it back on the low wines for 3 months.

I will be just loading the boiler up with peach pulp on this lot and stripping first up.
my pet is a CCSC copper flute, I feed it corn and it pisses likker like a pony....
Copperhead road

Postby Pikey » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:36 pm

Rebel_Yell wrote:I would add sugar to the pulp for a second run.

Damn good idea - well worth a try if your pulp is reasonably sound I reckon ! :8)
Pikey

Postby Rebel_Yell » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:03 am

Give ya a second run after it ferments. Not as good as the first but peaches are a lot of work.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:48 am

It would be similar to a 2nd gen UJ. I've never tried it that way for a follow up brandy run. Normally you would squeeze the fruit after its initial grinding (crushing) to make a liquid "must". You would ferment the must for a brandy and add water/sugar to the separated leftover pomace to produce a grappa. Doing the same after everything is fermented will probably work - just not the norm.

I don't know about doing it using the backset (solids) left in the boiler after a strip. Having it cook for a few hours while distilling might greatly effect the flavor.
S-Cackalacky

Postby punkin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:39 pm

Works just fine i have done it with peaches and i have done it with peaches and corn as well as a lime ferment.

Yes the flavour is slightly different after cooking but not to the degree you would think. Combining the two striips for a spirit run works very well.

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Copperhead road » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:17 pm

punkin wrote:Works just fine i have done it with peaches and i have done it with peaches and corn as well as a lime ferment.

Yes the flavour is slightly different after cooking but not to the degree you would think. Combining the two striips for a spirit run works very well.

That is something I should look into, at times I literally have 3 or 4 boiler loads of leftover pulp. Especially with peaches I find I get far more pulp/fruit fibre than I do from pears or nectarines.
I have never heard of mixing grain with fruit, I am guessing you would ferment them separately. Corn with bakers yeast and peaches with champagne yeast. Then combine both finished washes to the boiler for stripping. CORRECT????
Copperhead road

Postby punkin » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:57 pm

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=228

I didn't but you could if you wanted.

punkin

Postby Copperhead road » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:14 am

Copperhead road wrote:update
Well this is as cleared as it’s gonna get, no point in waiting for the Cap to drop because it’s ALL CAP :roflmao: :roflmao:
only added 20L of water to a 220L pulp fermenter.
Think it’s ready to run going by taste as there is no other way to check pulp with a hydrometer.
Bulk peaches is always very thick with pulp and fruit fibre.

BTW there is NO SUGAR in this brandy so will be interesting to see the yield from 220L of pure pulp :beer:

Ok I have done the maths on this the best I can, I did not take a SG originally but I estimate it would have been 1045 and finished at 1015 so my peach pulp fermenter is 4% ATM :doh: :ranting:
it should be at least 6% to 7% if I can get it down to 1000 hydrometer reading.

I decided to add 20L of water and prepare a ec1118 yeast bomb starter to the fermenter, will whack a heater belt around it set at 30 degrees. Then give the load a dam good blitzing with Bosch mixing drill on high speed and get the air in there.
Fingers crossed, got nothing to lose.....
Copperhead road

Postby punkin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:58 pm

Cept half your wash over the top of the fermenter if it's still fermenting :)

punkin

Postby Copperhead road » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:45 pm

well I did not expect this!!!!
I put my ear to the fermenter this morning and there is definitely activity.....
I am thinking now that maybe natural sugars can be harder to detect because this did not taste sweet at all, yet it’s starting to work off again.
I suspect it may have been a stall due to cold weather that starting in the wee hours of late. Maybe the heater belt has helped as I have never restarted something before that was below 1015.
Attachments
0A77C9BD-B98B-4E0A-A74C-5E7A81E10EAA.jpeg
7DDF44EE-CC31-4E83-BB2F-9E05E4748A92.jpeg
Copperhead road

Postby Saltbush Bill » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:45 am

punkin wrote:Cept half your wash over the top of the fermenter if it's still fermenting :)

That is a good point Punkin ..they can get fairly active very quickly when you least expect it.
Saltbush Bill

Equipment type: 2 inch pot still 25L boiler. 2 1/2 inch pot still 50L boiler

PreviousNext

Return to Experimental Recipes