• Advertisement

Peach Brandy Moonshine

This is for the "What in the world is that?" category. You have something different, something odd or just putting things together in a different way?. Tell us about it and let us comment, laugh, or puke....

Re: Peach Brandy Moonshine

Postby Shine0n » Wed May 02, 2018 5:52 pm

I went to degas a mead the other day and it went to the top really quickly, even with 5 gal in a 6.5 bucket.

I also just got another good connect on some peaches this year so I should have 300-400 lbs by mid July and make another peach brandy. I still have the one from 2016 1.5 gal and its as fine and smooth as any I've ever tried.

Good luck with this one!
Shine0n

Postby The Baker » Wed May 02, 2018 6:27 pm

Shine0n wrote:I went to degas a mead the other day and it went to the top really quickly, even with 5 gal in a 6.5 bucket.

I also just got another good connect on some peaches this year so I should have 300-400 lbs by mid July and make another peach brandy. I still have the one from 2016 1.5 gal and its as fine and smooth as any I've ever tried.

Good luck with this one!

That's a helluva lot of peaches. And a great deal of work if you remove the stones before fermentation, especially if they are the well-named cling-stone peaches!
I threw them in the fermenter and smashed the peaches with the end of a short length of 6 x 6.
Added just a bit of water to liquefy it a bit and just a bit of sugar to, if you like, sweeten that water just a little.
The stones should rise to the top or you can strain them out through something with really big holes, before distillation.
Try it.
And do NOT, without checking, tread the peaches like you could grapes. Some peaches have a really vicious spike on the end of the stone.

Geoff
The Baker

Equipment type: Pot still

Postby Copperhead road » Wed May 02, 2018 7:08 pm

Shine0n wrote:I went to degas a mead the other day and it went to the top really quickly, even with 5 gal in a 6.5 bucket.

Good luck with this one!

Like baker said that is a hell of a lot of peaches to de-seed, took me about 6 hours to do mine alone
my pet is a CCSC copper flute, I feed it corn and it pisses likker like a pony....
Copperhead road

Postby punkin » Thu May 03, 2018 1:48 pm

Got the idea from tater but a sharpened mortar mixer on a big drill in a 5 gallon bucket gets it done in a couple minutes. Tip is to freeze them first to soften.
Then strain through a colander made from birdwire to screen the stones and skins.

fermenters1.jpg

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Shine0n » Thu May 03, 2018 2:53 pm

I followed taters peach Brandy thread on the last one, no sugar but I got 3 gal of keep from 50 gal wash.

300 lb filled my deep freeze to the gills last time and I'm hoping to do the same this year.

I get a few bushel at the time and freeze until I can justify smashing them and would like to do it all at once.
10 hours last time but well worth it, I will add .5lb sugar per gal this time for a higher yield too.

I had some plum from 2016 aged with twice used rum barrel staves and is beautiful with a little sugar in the wash.
Shine0n

Postby Shine0n » Thu May 03, 2018 3:10 pm

And that's exactly what I used to chop them with, it left the stones for the most part whole. I also fermented and ran on the pulp on the pulp.

By the time I got to the 3rd stripping run it had developed a massive lacto but it worked out well.
I also ran some wash in with the final spirit run, what a great smelling and tasting likker. I still have 1.5 gal and I'm holding on for dear life to it.lol
Shine0n

Postby Copperhead road » Thu May 03, 2018 3:27 pm

Shine0n wrote:And that's exactly what I used to chop them with, it left the stones for the most part whole. I also fermented and ran on the pulp on the pulp.

By the time I got to the 3rd stripping run it had developed a massive lacto but it worked out well.
I also ran some wash in with the final spirit run, what a great smelling and tasting likker. I still have 1.5 gal and I'm holding on for dear life to it.lol

Sounds like you had a real win with that stuff, I like hearing about the good outcomes not the bad ones lol
my pet is a CCSC copper flute, I feed it corn and it pisses likker like a pony....
Copperhead road

Postby Copperhead road » Fri May 04, 2018 3:27 am

I got this link off SBB, though I would share it here.
If you like your brandy distillation this is a very interesting short clip..... thanx Salty :8)

https://youtu.be/
Copperhead road

Postby Shine0n » Fri May 04, 2018 8:20 pm

That's a very good video, Thanks for sharing that and SBB thanks for giving it to him.

If I ever hit the lottery I'd buy into something like that, I do love what I do and take great pride in my craft and my spirits show that with each smell and taste.

I also like to keep my fruit spirit white, for my taste oaking isn't an option for me. I figured if I made proper cuts and let it mature, it becomes what it's supposed to be and that's that.
Thanks agiain, I'll post here in due time with progress of my peaches.
Shine0n

Postby Saltbush Bill » Sun May 06, 2018 5:50 am

Glad you liked it ShineOn, Ive watched it a few times and always enjoy it , what the fella says makes sense to me, I wish I had more time to experiment and better access to good quantities of good fruit.
Saltbush Bill

Equipment type: 2 inch pot still 25L boiler. 2 1/2 inch pot still 50L boiler

Postby Shine0n » Thu May 10, 2018 7:43 am

Me too, I got lucky again this year for the peaches. I do have an abundance of apples, crab apples and plums, maybe I can grow a few different herbs for some complexity with them this year.
Shine0n

Previous

Return to Experimental Recipes