• Advertisement

Sour mash from flaked maize?

This is for the "What in the world is that?" category. You have something different, something odd or just putting things together in a different way?. Tell us about it and let us comment, laugh, or puke....

Sour mash from flaked maize?

Postby rkr » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:30 am

Any one tried sour mash from flaked maize? How did it turn out and was there much bloating of grains? Whatabout foaming, any problems with that?

Slainte, Riku
"Simple low cost stills" -> http://distillers.tastylime.net/library ... 20Listings

"Designing and building automatic stills" -> www.amphora-society.com
rkr

Equipment type: You name it, I've built it. Well, almost all of them.

Re: Sour mash from flaked maize?

Postby jocko1960 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:23 pm

I have. No problems what-so-ever.
Does form a cap on top whle fermenting but falls after a few days.
jocko1960

Postby punkin » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:46 pm

How long did ya have to cook it for Jocko?

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby jocko1960 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:27 pm

I didn't cook it. Just pretty much followed the Ian Smileys sour mash recipe substituting the flaked maize (had 10lbs laying around the house) in place of the corn. Ran 2 batches of it, second (with 1.75 gal of backset) having better flavor than the first. I just started another batch yesterday. Hope to keep this one gong through several fermentations. The previous time I had to end it because I have no way of freezing my backset and had to be out of town for a while.

I do a 6 gal batch using
(sorry bout the us quantities)

8 lbs of the flaked maize
1.5 lbs of ground barley malt
8 lbs sugar
6 gals spring water
1 package of Gert Strands Whiskey yeast with the ag in it.

On the second wash I'll add 2 gal of backset and another 8 lbs of sugar. Then top it off with 4 gals of spring water.

Ferments out well, clears within 5 days give or take a day.

I don't take any og/fg readings or anything so can't really give any comments on the abv of the wash.
But the end product is good. Comparable to comercially available Tennesee sour mash after a bit of oaking.
jocko1960

Postby PUGIDOGS » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:00 am

Flaked corn is all I use. It is only 25 cents more for a 80 #bag then kernal corn. I get my water to a boil then add flaked corn. I get a better release of starches this way, let cool to 145 then add malted barley. Let is sit overnight, strain and pitch. I tried doing Ians way and was not getting the starches released all the way. Best part is I dont have to sit there and stir to avoid burnt grains. Easy. Pugi
PUGIDOGS

Postby jocko1960 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:35 am

I'll have to give that method a try Pugi. I jut been doing the down and dirty method. Mainly because of limited time at home. Have a local source of flaked rye here also. May give the rye about 25% of the grain bill in my next experiments.
jocko1960

Postby PUGIDOGS » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:04 pm

I forgot to say, I still run the flaked corn through the mill. I take it down to a meal and the malted barley I almost make flour out of it. 75 to 80% flaked corn, 20 to 25% malted barley and 33% backset, I strip several runs and combine them for one big final run. Its so good, it will make you want to kiss your grandma. Pugi
PUGIDOGS

Postby punkin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:46 pm

PUGIDOGS wrote:I forgot to say, I still run the flaked corn through the mill. I take it down to a meal and the malted barley I almost make flour out of it. 75 to 80% flaked corn, 20 to 25% malted barley and 33% backset, I strip several runs and combine them for one big final run. Its so good, it will make you want to kiss your grandma. Pugi

What sorta yeilds do ya get from this method Pugi?

Can ya tell me like how many litres/gallons of strip you'll get out of a wash with so much liquid and this much grain?

Just always got my eye out for an easier method of cooking corn, i'll know it when i see it.

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby PUGIDOGS » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Ok Punkin this one is for you, This is all I can fit in my keggle:

12.75 gallons total liquid
8.5 water
4.25 backset/slopback
20.4 lbs of flaked corn
5.1 lbs of malted barley

I bring liquid to boil turn off heat and add flaked corn that has been run through mill. It turns to thick paste. I let sit and stir it every now and then. About 4 to 5 hours later it is around 145*. I then add malted barley ground to flour.
The next day it will be cooler with yellow liquid on top. It is usually about a 1.065 beer. I strain this through a homemade colender made of widow screen. I usually get about 10/11 gallons of liquid out of it. I do this whole thing twice for about 20 gallons in the fermenter.
After fermentation I rack off liquid into still leaving behind the "brains". It usaully finishes around 1.020. I get about 12/13 gallons. Strip it out for 2 to 3 gallons. I go down to 10 to 15 ABV on strip. After 4 or so strips I load is all up and make final run.
Notes: I keep about a gallon of the "brains"/lees and pitch this on next batch. The fermentation is fast, 48 to 72 hours and its done. If I use store bought malted barley I go the 80/20 %. For my Homemade malted barley I go 75/25 %.

Pugi
PUGIDOGS

Postby punkin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Thanks Pugi, that's slightly higher grain to liquid than i've been using, but easily achievable if you don't have to cook. Premalting may even allow the ratio to move up a few points.

The other problem i have is grain disposal. Do you have much in the way of solids left whith the flour/meal profile?

Might have to make some enquiries and see what quantities i'd have to order to get steam rolled corn from the graders.... I know they do it with barley...

punkin

Postby PUGIDOGS » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:10 pm

punkin wrote:Thanks Pugi, that's slightly higher grain to liquid than i've been using, but easily achievable if you don't have to cook. Premalting may even allow the ratio to move up a few points.

The other problem i have is grain disposal. Do you have much in the way of solids left whith the flour/meal profile?

Might have to make some enquiries and see what quantities i'd have to order to get steam rolled corn from the graders.... I know they do it with barley...

A thick mash is not a problem because you dont have to worry about burnt grains. This fills my keggle to the top.

I still have about 3 gallons worth of grains to throw in the garden after I strain it. The bits and pieces swell up.

I get my flaked or rolled corn from the local feed store. They also carry flaked barley, oats and rye. Only available in 80lb sacks. I also get my 2 row barley from them and malt my own. I think the last 80 lb sack of unmalted barley was about $8.00. Pugi
PUGIDOGS

Postby punkin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:33 pm

wish i could throw the leftovers on my veggie patch or compost em, but next door is sensitive to smell. Gotta look after em as the distillery is under their lounge room window and the veggie patch next to it.

Don't know about people who think that every strong scent is a stink, Bourbon Girl is like that, if she can smell it and it ain't perfume she reckons it stinks. :(

I'd rather smell a cattlefloat go past than a room full of airfreshener spray any day, i reckon that stuff really does smell offensive in large amounts. :roll:

punkin

Postby Ugly » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:58 pm

punkin wrote:Don't know about people who think that every strong scent is a stink, Bourbon Girl is like that, if she can smell it and it ain't perfume she reckons it stinks. :(

Amen Brother Punkin....

From the Book Of Barley, Chapter Ten, vs 1 and 2
Thus is Ugly banished to the desert across the road to make foul odours in his fortress of stinkatude. All whilst the Lady Ugly partakes of the mind numbing scent of yet another demon repelling Vanilla candle.

Can't still with them , no need to get drunk without them.

I throw everything in a barrel and take it out to the farm for pig slop. The pigs will sit on top of each other to get at anything fermented, for a while I worried but then I asked someone on HD who said no ill effects were forthcoming in his neighbours swine from eating the stuff.

No "Squeal like a pig" jokes guys...

Is that a banjo I hear playing?
You can't say c**t in Canada
Ugly

Postby Alfred » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:32 pm

Ugly wrote:No "Squeal like a pig" jokes guys...

:shock: :screwy: Weirdo.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Alfred

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby jocko1960 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:16 pm

The squirrels love my left overs. I always expect to look out there and see em dancing or fightin and smoking cigarettes!
jocko1960

Next

Return to Experimental Recipes