• Advertisement

Persimmon brandy

This is for the "What in the world is that?" category. You have something different, something odd or just putting things together in a different way?. Tell us about it and let us comment, laugh, or puke....

Persimmon brandy

Postby kiwi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:45 pm

I've got me about 30 kil- shengs of persimmons. I'm thinking they're going to be a brandy when they grow up :8) Anyone out there with experience in this? Here is the plan at the moment -
box ripen the persimmons, as each fruit gets completely ripe, chuck it in the freezer. when I've got them all fro.zen, thaw, smash to a pulp with something or other, save the seeds and add campden / pectinase. wait a day, bulk it out a bit with sugar, pitch a nice wine yeast. distill nice and slow on the pulp. I've got enough for a couple of runs I figure, so I might add the strip to the must of the second run and do a '1 1/2' distilled thing. I reckon I'll probably keep it in the white.

The seeds apparently make a coffee-ish drink when roasted and ground, and I'm curious about that, so that's what the seeds are for.

I'd love input, especially on yeast selection, amount of sugar to fruit, and target ABV. Or anything, really. :roll:

Cheers guys,
Kiwi
Specialization is for insects.
kiwi

Equipment type: Pot/VM combo (thanks Punkin)

Re: Persimmon brandy

Postby Jolly Roger » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:23 pm

curious to the type persimon , some "the kind that grow here" are astringent.. meaning they make you pucker until it frosts on them, others are not, but I dont know if they will grow/bear fruit here. I see them in nurseries adds but they say they can be grown here, not if they will bear fruit.
I envy you for having them, hope they make something good for you. I think I'd just treat them as any other fruit.
I do have some persimon wood to try flavoring with :beer:
The beatings will continue until morale improves!
Jolly Roger

Postby kiwi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:37 pm

I don't know the exact type, but after reading about the astringent ones I believe we have the others. from reading the persimmons generally found in NZ seem to be Japanese cultivars, which would make sense as we export most of our crop there.
kiwi

Postby mikejwoodnz » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:57 pm

What a friend we have in Google : - all you need to know is here :

http://www.shopnewzealand.co.nz/en/cp/P ... ueur_500ml

- they even confess to using that great NZ alcohol; fermented cows milk :shock:
My Terminal Cancer is now : maybe a little remission :-)
mikejwoodnz

Equipment type: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Postby punkin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:39 pm

Well that should take all the experiment out of it :roflmao: :roflmao:

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby kiwi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:05 pm

It would if I wanted liqueur, sure.
kiwi

Postby Nano-Oil.com » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:30 pm

kiwi wrote:I've got me about 30 kil- shengs of persimmons. I'm thinking they're going to be a brandy when they grow up :8) Anyone out there with experience in this? Here is the plan at the moment -
box ripen the persimmons, as each fruit gets completely ripe, chuck it in the freezer. when I've got them all fro.zen, thaw, smash to a pulp with something or other, save the seeds and add campden / pectinase. wait a day, bulk it out a bit with sugar, pitch a nice wine yeast. distill nice and slow on the pulp. I've got enough for a couple of runs I figure, so I might add the strip to the must of the second run and do a '1 1/2' distilled thing. I reckon I'll probably keep it in the white.

The seeds apparently make a coffee-ish drink when roasted and ground, and I'm curious about that, so that's what the seeds are for.

I'd love input, especially on yeast selection, amount of sugar to fruit, and target ABV. Or anything, really. :roll:

Cheers guys,
Kiwi

Hello All,
First let me offer a big thank you to Kiwi for starting this thread on Persimmon brandy,
I googled the latter terms and landed on this thread,
I am from northern California and the trees are loaded with such fruit so this will be my first attempt at Persimmons ever.
Historically I have since age circa 12 distilled after learning in school about fermentation so when I came home with the knowledge, I shared with Dad who got very excited about it, it did not drink much alcohol nor smoked anything but the engineering side of it got him in that state.
So before we knew it we both worked on a still design and it was build,
Then came the head scratching period which fruit or grain do we start with,
Apples were abondant at that time of the year so we collected a whole bunch for free I was born by the Belgium border in France so orchards were every where.
During that period when we distilled the following fruits and ingredients were used.
at any time did we use a commercial yeast, we just did not was part of the batch and relied on wild yeasts.
Apple (France is big on Hard Cider and they treat it pretty much like Champagne cork and all such as Brut -- Sec -- Demi-Sec ) in order of residual sugar/sweetness
Apples
Bananas
Cherries
Pears
Plums
------------
Grains:
Corn
Wheat
------------
Feculants ?
Potatoes
Got to go now but this threat just cannot die.
Best regards from Christian StClaire to all of you down under and where ever you are hiding you still. :lol:
Nano-Oil.com

Postby upinthehills » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:49 pm

I think one of the recommendations in the "Artisan Distilling" book is to skip the pectinase. It ups the methanol in the ferment...
upinthehills

Postby Nano-Oil.com » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:04 pm

upinthehills wrote:I think one of the recommendations in the "Artisan Distilling" book is to skip the pectinase. It ups the methanol in the ferment...

Excuse my ignorance, what is pectinase, anything to do with pectiine?

Thanks in advance for the education to hopefully come soon.
Christian salvating.
Nano-Oil.com

Postby punkin » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:51 pm

Good stuff Christian. how did the bannanas go by the way?

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Nano-Oil.com » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:24 am

punkin wrote:Good stuff Christian. how did the bannanas go by the way?

Honestly, I do not remember this dates back in circa 1963, however I remember more about the other stuff that we did with potatoes and grain alcohol,
We basically did some basic spirits and using those we made a myriad of liqueurs.
Amaretto, etc.

Whiskeys we cheated and use caramelized sugar to give the tint of barrel aged.

The real fun I believe is to get the essence of the ingredient as I said fruit are a lot of fun,
so Calvados spirit of apple cider is always a good one.
I do not know if it is because of acquired taste or do those actually taste good ?

plums
my favorite all around has to be "Poire Williams" the fruit is a usually a huge pear
if you smoke cigars, dipping it in a Poire Williams spirit is a great feat, just dip the end you smoke from though,
once I told a couple how to do it and the man dipped the lit end in the spirit, I think I was more embarrassed then he was. LOL it's all good.

Nighty night for me, good morning for all of you down under.

to this date I am not
Nano-Oil.com

Postby terceslil » Tue May 29, 2012 1:00 am

I have a persimmon tree that is about to bear a lot of fruit and am curious how this turned out.
“If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.”
-Thomas Jefferson

Download Distiller Notebook w/calculators
terceslil

Postby pintoshine » Tue May 29, 2012 10:31 am

I have the variety domestic to the Americas growing in my back yard. I have both the male and female trees. If the spring frost isn't late I get tremendous amounts of fruit from a single tree. The trick to fruit with little to no astringency is to place a tarp under the tree, put a temporary electric fence around the tree, and wait for the fruit to fall onto the tarp. Only the ones that fall are sweet and lacking in astringency. You have to collect them several times a day else the wildlife will steal them. I seldom see fruit stay for any length of time after it hits the ground.
My female tree is loaded for the first time in about 5 years. Deathwish was over yesterday and was interested in the persimmons and if we could make brandy from them. I suppose this fall is going to be persimmon gathering. I have access to about 10 trees from neighbors.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
58L thumping spirit still
20L copper pot

Postby Bullwinkle » Tue May 29, 2012 2:05 pm

My attempt at persimmon brandy didnt go well. I think the persimmons weren't ripe enough. Only real flavor in the product was sulfur from the metabisulfite I used.
Bullwinkle

Equipment type: 4 hand made copper pot stills
from 5.2-7.6 gallon
2 1.5" bokas
enough condensors to cool a nuclear plant
flute in the works

Postby terceslil » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:48 pm

I have plenty of ripe persimmons but never figured out how many I will need. I'm not sure what type of persimmon it is, but I do not have a male and female trees. I just have one tree that makes persimmons every year. I usually have two barrels of UJSSM, each 10 gallons, going at all times. So, trying to figure out if I were going to make a 10 gall barrel how many persimmons I would need and how long it would take to ferment.

Has anyone successfully done this?
“If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.”
-Thomas Jefferson

Download Distiller Notebook w/calculators
terceslil

Next

Return to Experimental Recipes