• Advertisement

Hooker Oak Distillery

We occasionally get to try each other work/art. If you would like to critique a members beverages then it should be here.

Hooker Oak Distillery

Postby Buddy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:53 am

I wuz down at the local brew shop (Chico Home Brew Shop) a week ago and met a young gentleman that was opening a new distillery in Chico, Ca. He invited me to their grand opening which happened yesterday, so after some arm twisting :wink: :wink: I felt obliged to attend. Toured their operation admired their shiny new 8" 6 plate SD procap rig. Shure is pretty, but unfortunately it was knot in operation at the time. I believe they only run it on weekdays. They decided to specialize in Rum. According to Dawn at the home brew shop rum is big with the college kids. Chico is a big college town with the second oldest university in the CSU system, their motto is "Art is the test of the artisan.", so I guess it's a good place to open a artisan rum distillery. Went into the tasting room (more arm twisting) and sampled their Apple Pie rum. I found it quite tasty even if it is only 70 proof. (I haven't really been a rum drinker most of my life, but recently have been purchasing a bit of Kirkland Spiced Rum at Costco to flavor my morning coffee.) My understanding is that they only have the Apple Pie rum at the moment, but will soon be offering a pineapple rum also. Though the stuff was on the pricey side, I twisted my own arm and purchased 2 bottles. The one I'm looking at now says it's bottle 397 from batch 1. Will probably save the lower bottle number of the 2 as a "collectors item" and enjoy the other one. Besides straight up I found it to be quite tasty with a little splash of ginger ale. Pictures of their operation are on their website hookeroakdistillery.com, but I should warn you that they take eons to load, as I don't think their web-lacky has figured out how to optimize their size for web viewing yet.
Mama told me to never drink unless I was alone or with somebody.
"It's only for medicinal porpoises."
Buddy

Equipment type: 8 Gallon Hybrid Stainless

Re: Hooker Oak Distillery

Postby Mud » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:26 pm

If you see the guy again, tell him to ask around. He might find a guy named Dave with a Revenoor still he's willing to part with cheap.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Re: Hooker Oak Distillery

Postby Buddy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:43 pm

Mud wrote:If you see the guy again, tell him to ask around. He might find a guy named Dave with a Revenoor still he's willing to part with cheap.

Should I give him anymore info as to approximately where to look around? :?
Mama told me to never drink unless I was alone or with somebody.
"It's only for medicinal porpoises."
Buddy

Equipment type: 8 Gallon Hybrid Stainless

Return to Tastings