• Advertisement

Minime's neutral and plum

We occasionally get to try each other work/art. If you would like to critique a members beverages then it should be here.

Minime's neutral and plum

Postby Mud » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:18 pm

Minime's neutral was staring at me, so I watered it down and had a few swigs, It's just alcohol and water as far as I can tell. Devoid of taste aside from the slight alcohol twang. Great stuff. Way better than I have ever made. Makes me want to start refluxing again.

Tried his slivovitz as well. Cut it with a little soda water. The flavor is light and clean. If I had some lemon juice it's be in a sidecar. Can't really call it "plum" any more than you can all dry wine "grapey", but when my plums bear I'll make this. Overall I'd say Minime's method of removing heads is very effective and worth giving a try.

-Mud the taster
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Re: Minime's neutral and plum

Postby Sbeghan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:23 am

that's where he refluxes the heads out like he's making a neutral, and then switches head and runs it as a pot?
Sbeghan

Postby phlogiston » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:50 am

Could you get a similar result by running a pot still very slowly until the heads are gone?
phlogiston

Postby minime » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:14 am

Mud wrote:Minime's neutral was staring at me, so I watered it down and had a few swigs, It's just alcohol and water as far as I can tell. Devoid of taste aside from the slight alcohol twang. Great stuff. Way better than I have ever made. Makes me want to start refluxing again.

Tried his slivovitz as well. Cut it with a little soda water. The flavor is light and clean. If I had some lemon juice it's be in a sidecar. Can't really call it "plum" any more than you can all dry wine "grapey", but when my plums bear I'll make this. Overall I'd say Minime's method of removing heads is very effective and worth giving a try.

-Mud the taster

Thanks for the positive remarks. I think the primary advantage of refluxing for heads removal is a larger hearts cut. I think it would work really well for apple ferments which apparently have lots of heads.
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby loneswinger » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:52 pm

Since I am unfamiliar, do you reflux out the heads then shut it down and switch the still to a pot mode? Or do you just start collecting everything (stopping reflux) but still distill through all of the packing.

Just curious,

-Loneswinger

p.s. Why do people always send stuff to Mud? is he the certified drink taster on this forum? A professional spirit taster would be a good addition to the community. Maybe I will start a new log-in name posing as a professional drink taster then I will convince everyone to send me booze.
We received our education in the cities of the nation, me and Paul
loneswinger

Postby minime » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:21 pm

loneswinger wrote:Since I am unfamiliar, do you reflux out the heads then shut it down and switch the still to a pot mode? Or do you just start collecting everything (stopping reflux) but still distill through all of the packing.

I use tri-clamps and remove the column for hearts collection.

loneswinger wrote:p.s. Why do people always send stuff to Mud? is he the certified drink taster on this forum? A professional spirit taster would be a good addition to the community. Maybe I will start a new log-in name posing as a professional drink taster then I will convince everyone to send me booze.

Mud asked for neutral to compare to his and that's what I do best. The slivovitz was needing a second opinion LOL
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby big worm » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:36 pm

i sent mud a sample because he has a bad drinking prob. we have a shortage of swill testers around here.....
didntwanttokillalocalbum
"It is wise to learn how to ferment local products that are cheap and abundant."
big worm

Postby Mud » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:24 pm

It's my rugged good looks. BTW, boys, I did some bottling and packing this evening. I have a long list to work down but some of you should be getting christmas presents.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby wolfman1961 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:53 am

Mud is the only one who would wring it out of a dirty sock and then drink it!! :shock:
May your glass be ever full,
May the roof over your head be always strong,
And may you be half an hour in heaven,
Before the devil knows you're dead.
wolfman1961

Equipment type: Coffee pot with a straw

Postby Mud » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:30 am

Not so. there are probably a few others who would do the same.

big worm wrote:didntwanttokillalocalbum

This is good policy. The po-po will come looking if the locals are dropping like flies outside your front gate.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby Brandava » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:20 am

As someone just starting out, it's hard to evaluate your own product, as your only comparisons are commercial examples. So I contacted minime about doing a trade, as he's relatively close, and was experienced at making the product I was interested in. The gentleman he is, he immediately agreed and sent me 3 samples of his liquor. I sent some back just before NYE, but he has not received them yet. I hope he will post his notes on it when he does.
I made some vodka last month and carbon filtered it; reading through the posts on this it seemed that most people thought it unnecessary to do so if you run it slow an make good cuts. I did this, but the resulting vodka, while smooth, had a definite fruity/sweet aroma. After filtering it was no longer there.
I did a side-by-side of the vodkas (diluted minime's neutral down to 35%, which was the strength of my vodka). I could smell the fruity/sweet smell in minime's stuff that is in my unfiltered vodka, but at a much lower level. However it was noticeable, and it was also notably absent in the filtered stuff.
Taste-wise both are very neutral, neither had any noticeable flavours.
Mouth-feel wise I think that minime's vodka had a bit more burn/tingly sensation, but it was very minor - I'd have to do the tasting blind to be able say for sure.
So, my conclusion for now is that filtering does make a difference, but I'm not sure if it is enough to warrant it. Now that I've built the filter and have bought the activated carbon I may as well use it - it's not hard to do. But if you haven't done so, I probably wouldn't bother unless you are really picky about vodka and drink it neat.

Brandava
Brandava

Return to Tastings