• Advertisement

Buffalo Trace White Dog Mash *1

We occasionally get to try each other work/art. If you would like to critique a members beverages then it should be here.

Buffalo Trace White Dog Mash *1

Postby Dan P. » Wed May 18, 2011 1:16 pm

I decided to treat myself to something nice on my way home today. I went into my local well-stocked whisky shop, which offers a wide variety of whiskies, had a peruse, but my eye kept returning to the Buffalo Trace "White Dog". It was overpriced, and I make my own unaged whisky, so why buy it? In the end I had to buy it to compare with my own. It was too hard for me to turn down a taste of newmake spirit from a whisky label whose aged product I think is very good.
Anyway, Buffalo Trace White Dog is not worth buying. It is not very nice. The main flavours are a white-rum heads taste up front (and in the nose), then an unpleasant banana-corny tails taste. There are some good flavours of grains in the finish, but it also gives the impression that it can't wait to give you a headache; "You don't have to wait till tomorrow for a hangover, buddy, you can have a headache on credit!"
-Dan
Dan P.

Equipment type: pot still

Re: Buffalo Trace White Dog Mash *1

Postby vb » Wed May 18, 2011 2:18 pm

ha ha ha, thats funny stuff.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby WalkingWolf » Fri May 20, 2011 11:46 pm

Dan P. wrote: "You don't have to wait till tomorrow for a hangover, buddy, you can have a headache on credit!"

That's a good one Dan P. -- I have a feeling I'll use this line sometime in the future (with your permission of course :lol: )
WalkingWolf

Postby Dan P. » Sat May 21, 2011 9:27 am

This got a bit better after being aired for 24 hrs. Still not very nice, and well overpriced.
Dan P.

Postby jake_leg » Sat May 21, 2011 11:13 am

Sounds well worth a miss, but I wouldn't mind checking out the shop. Must be pretty well stocked to have obscurities like that.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby Dan P. » Sat May 21, 2011 2:36 pm

jake_leg wrote:Sounds well worth a miss, but I wouldn't mind checking out the shop. Must be pretty well stocked to have obscurities like that.

There are a few good ones hither and thither around our great capital city, and not necessarily any more expensive than anywhere else.
Dan P.

Postby SuburbanStiller » Sun May 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Do any other commercial distilleries ship white dog? I too am curious how my stuff rates against the big dogs.
SuburbanStiller

Postby Sam0var » Sun May 22, 2011 1:40 pm

What I see is that my wife doesn't sleep with me after a good party where "big dogs" are served: "...smells like hell..."
However she doesn't mind if we "test" a double of my stuff with same friends :roflmao:
I have classes at night and nobody complained yet... last test is to check the police... :lol:
Sam0var

Postby Dan P. » Sun May 22, 2011 2:30 pm

SuburbanStiller wrote:Do any other commercial distilleries ship white dog? I too am curious how my stuff rates against the big dogs.

I think my mistake was supposing that this "white dog" was made something like an eau de vie, or how I (try) to make my whiskey; white and with tight cuts. It's not. It's simply the very broad cut or blend that is suitable (or acceptable?) if you are going to age the shit out of it in new, charred barrels.
So, with a modest level of competence your product will be better. I can certainly understand why many punters would want to try the unaged product, but as that is what we, as makers, are already familiar with, why pay extra to taste somebody elses?
Dan P.

Postby SuburbanStiller » Tue May 24, 2011 2:15 am

Dan P. wrote:
SuburbanStiller wrote:Do any other commercial distilleries ship white dog? I too am curious how my stuff rates against the big dogs.

I think my mistake was supposing that this "white dog" was made something like an eau de vie, or how I (try) to make my whiskey; white and with tight cuts. It's not. It's simply the very broad cut or blend that is suitable (or acceptable?) if you are going to age the shit out of it in new, charred barrels.
So, with a modest level of competence your product will be better. I can certainly understand why many punters would want to try the unaged product, but as that is what we, as makers, are already familiar with, why pay extra to taste somebody elses?

Well at the risk of sounding like a young pup, I'd like to know if the stuff I'm making now would be worth oaking and aging for a few years. If'n it's gonna taste like crap, I'll drink it now. I'd be happier than two pecker pete in a whorehouse if I could make for pennies what I'd have to pay for in gold later on down the road.
SuburbanStiller

Postby Dan P. » Tue May 24, 2011 2:28 am

SuburbanStiller wrote:
Well at the risk of sounding like a young pup, I'd like to know if the stuff I'm making now would be worth oaking and aging for a few years. If'n it's gonna taste like crap, I'll drink it now. I'd be happier than two pecker pete in a whorehouse if I could make for pennies what I'd have to pay for in gold later on down the road.

You can do that if you like, but I think the broad concensus is that if you are drinking it white, you need to take tighter cuts; If you are oaking it, you can take broader cuts. The reason that the BT White Dog isn't very nice is that the manufactor did not make full allowance for the fact that it is being sold to be drunk as is. It is also quite expensive for what it is.
As an aside, I think part of the reason I find this drink objectionable is the taste of the corn, which I can't really detect in aged bourbon, and don't use myself.
-Dan
Dan P.

Postby zedzedtop » Wed May 25, 2011 2:19 pm

Hudson/Tuthilltown whitedog is good if you can find it. Very $$$ but I bought a bottle to use as a reference.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby zedzedtop » Wed May 25, 2011 2:20 pm

Also Wasmunds dog is good... if you are looking for something fuller flavored. It's been smoked with apple and cherry I think....
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby Bull Rider » Wed May 25, 2011 5:14 pm

SuburbanStiller wrote:

I'd like to know if the stuff I'm making now would be worth oaking and aging for a few years. If'n it's gonna taste like crap, I'll drink it now.

You should get a pretty good idea of the quality of your product within a couple of months. You really have to fill up the pipeline to have stock on hand that's two years old.

Bull.
Bull Rider

Equipment type: Kegboiler:
2"x30" copper column
36" Leibeg.

Postby flasko » Thu May 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Interesting that this stuff is crap. Just goes to show what can be done with marketing.

I just finished blending some DWWG last night. I always cut tight and this stuff was pretty damn good white, 3 days old. Even the wife who sticks to white wine thought it was smooth. Your post made me think I should have held some back unoaked, but its all aging on sticks now. Next run!
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass - Martin Mull
flasko

Equipment type: 15.5 gal electric keg
5.5 gal thumper
5500w internal element
Arduino controller

Return to Tastings