• Advertisement

Buffalo Trace

We occasionally get to try each other work/art. If you would like to critique a members beverages then it should be here.

Re: Buffalo Trace

Postby punkin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:18 pm

I have a bottle of bookers that i use for a reference.

It's single barrel (i think?) bottled at barrel strength.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby brantoken » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:25 pm

Bufflo trace taste good, It give me a hell of a headache every time I drink it.
I do think their priemium brand is fantanatic, which is Blanton's single barrel.
It is some of the best I have drank yet and it does not give me a headache.
I would encourage anyone to try it, I was amazed at the difference. Problem is It isn't cheap. I plan to buy it on every special occation I can...
Parental Digression Advised
TV
MA
SLV
brantoken

Equipment type: 3 inch ,Vm, Hybrid pot and Vacuum convertible electric modular still.
10.5Kw is nice.

Postby pintoshine » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:32 pm

My favorite to use as a standard, which most of you that know me will guess, is Very Old Barton 6 Year old. We refer to it as VOB.
It has been voted "Best value" which means "it is the cream of the crap" or maybe the crap of the cream. Seriously it is a good middle of the road. I never find it much outside Kentucky.
http://sourmashmanifesto.com/2011/06/07 ... nd-review/
he gives his top list and I agree with most.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby rockchucker22 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:34 pm

punkin wrote:I have a bottle of bookers that i use for a reference.

It's single barrel (i think?) bottled at barrel strength.

Bookers is Jim beams premium I like knob creek better. At least of the beam family. Out of the really good whiskeys I like high west 16 year rye! Their 12 year is also good. The 16 year is 80 usd so Ive only had the chance to drink a bottle once. I love whiskeys and try as many as possible.
dancing on wire both ends are on fire
rockchucker22

Postby fastill » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:18 pm

I have a preference for Woodford Reserve if I feel like spending the money. Hoping that in a few years my bourban will be top shelf. Time will tell.....
fastill

Equipment type: 40" offset head, 2" column on 15 gallon stainless keg.

Postby zedzedtop » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:39 pm

IMO, jack is bourbon. So what the charcoal filtering... there is more variation within the 'proper' bourbons than between any one of them and jack. Its analogy is the controlled appellation controlee in France, there to protect the interests of the landowners within the region.

Pap van winkle is a good rye, and I second the sazerac. Bulleit is a good cheap one. Don't care for old potrero.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby ZeroGee » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:34 pm

Before I moved west, I was a bourbon fanatic! My bourbon of choice? Wild Turkey!

The distillery is located near Lawrenceburg, Kentucky. It offers tours, and is part of the American Whiskey Trail and the Kentucky Bourbon Trail.

The Ripy brothers built a distillery near Lawrenceburg in 1869 and had consolidated the current facility by 1905 and resumed distilling after Prohibition. The Ripys were bought out in 1952 by the Gould Brothers. In turn the distillery was bought by Pernod Ricard in 1980. On April 8, 2009, the Campari Group announced the acquisition of the brand and of the distillery from Pernod Ricard.

Distillery executive Thomas McCarthy took some warehouse samples (101 proof) on a wild turkey hunting trip in 1940. The next year his friends asked him for "some of that wild turkey whiskey", and a brand was born. The 80 proof version was introduced in 1974. [This from Wikipedia]

The mash is approximately 65% rye, 23% maize, and 12% barley (split evenly between 2-row and 6-row, I assume).

I prefer the 80 proof (now 81 proof in June 2011) as a straight shot, the 101 proof in a mixed drink - easy on the mixer.

Michael Jackson in Whiskey Magazine called Wild Turkey the "Clint Eastwood" of bourbons (http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/wild_turkey/whisky376.html).

In the same issue, Dave Broom commented, "This is what great bourbon is all about."

In Cocktail Magazine, Kevin Gray reviewed the new 81 proof offering, "The amber-colored bourbon has aromas of vanilla, caramel and soft fruit. Take a sip and it’s more aggressive, with a spicy rye bite and plenty of dry oak tempering the sweet notes. Though peppery on the tongue, it remains smooth on the palate and goes down easily. Wild Turkey 81 finishes with a long hit of charred oak and cinnamon spice." (http://cocktailenthusiast.com/2011/06/24/wild-turkey-81-bourbon-review/)

Am I enthusiastic? You bet! I strongly suggest you find it and try it. Only then will you truly appreciate American whiskeys.
ZeroGee

Equipment type: Stone & Nixon all copper 2" offset valve-head LM reflux column with a 60L SS electric boiler.

Postby dutchmancreek » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:19 pm

pintoshine wrote:My favorite to use as a standard, which most of you that know me will guess, is Very Old Barton 6 Year old. We refer to it as VOB.
It has been voted "Best value" which means "it is the cream of the crap" or maybe the crap of the cream. Seriously it is a good middle of the road. I never find it much outside Kentucky.

I picked up a bottle of Barton this morning when I ran down to Paducah. It's very good for the price. Thanks for the suggestion. There are so many bourbons on the shelves at the liquor store there that I never paid any attention to the very reasonably priced VOB (too many to look at, I guess).

My usual "commercial" bourbon is Ezra Brooks 90 proof, another decent, lower priced bourbon.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby =^..^= » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:39 am

myles wrote:Well thanks folks. For a novice bourbon drinker you have given me enough information to start on a voyage of discovery. I am just sorry that here is so little choice in the supermarkets in the UK. Generally you can find 30 or 40 malt whiskys but you are lucky to find 5 bourbons. (3 of those will be No7, Gentelman Jack and Jack Single Barrel!!!)

I haven't found a single 100% rye yet, so I have no idea what one tastes like.

And that was the starting point of this quest.

Just out of interest - among the bourbon drinkers out there - what is your benchmark standard for your own brew? I know this is off topic but what do you aspire to better?

I have with a single bottle, had my eyes opened to a whole new world that I didn't even know was out there. :doh:

Just had a quick look on the whiskey exchange (tore myself away from the rum section) and they have the Sazerac Rye http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-5370.aspx

They have a selection of Rye whiskeys there http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-328.aspx
=^..^=

Postby Oracle » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Basically all of the Buffalo Trace releases are commendable.

As for bourbon, one of my favorites (and a "best buy" for the money) is Buffalo Trace's "Elmer T. Lee" bourbon.

Here is a review wherein this bourbon is given the moniker of "gateway drug" by Chris Carlsson: Elmer T. Lee review

I have to say I would have started drinking bourbon a lot sooner had I tried this first (instead of some of the lesser blended brands).

While I like a handful of bourbons, and can appreciate Irish and Scotch whisky/whiskey, my favorite is rye. I figure I have at least 15 different rye whiskeys on my shelf at the moment. You can't go wrong with Buffalo Traces' Sazerac Rye (the affordable, young Sazerac). BT's Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye and the 18 year Sazerac Rye are amazing, but pricey.

This summer I had the opportunity to tour the Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey distillery in Denver and was truly impressed by their small, but enthusiastic operation. The whiskey is great, too!
"she got me coming through the dog door..."
Oracle

Equipment type: 5 liter copper alembic with propylene glycol "double boiler"
13 liter copper alembic, water seal
35 liter electric "water heater" boiler with stripping and VM columns/heads

Postby nwvapors » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:58 am

My "best buy" go to standard is Elijah Craig 12 year, 47% and doesn't hang me over. I like Basil Hayden as well but Elijah is about $10.00 cheaper and higher in ABV. Pappy Van Winkle 12 year and above is great but will dent your wallet accordingly.

Pint I am going to try to find VOB it sounds interesting. :?
nwvapors

Equipment type: 2" stainless potstill, 4" modular pot/VM still. 15.5 gallon, electrically controlled (thanks MK) keg boiler.

Previous

Return to Tastings