• Advertisement

Al Qaemist treasure trove

We occasionally get to try each other work/art. If you would like to critique a members beverages then it should be here.

Al Qaemist treasure trove

Postby jake_leg » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:39 am

Al Q. very generously sent me two bottles of gin and a flask of rum! :D I can't tell you how delighted I was to open up the box. They all smell absolutely delicious. One of the gins has this gorgeous creaminess... I have whacked it in the freezer and am looking forward to a good drink later on. :8)
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Re: Al Qaemist treasure trove

Postby Fester » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:08 pm

Al Q is my very bestest alltime friend, hint, hint, Al Q.
VisionStills
The best distilling hardware at the best prices.
Fester

Postby Al Qaemist » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:27 pm

@ Jake_leg you're welcome, and I hope you enjoy them mate. In the rush to make the post I didn't label them. The one with the label on has a long pine juniper hit, and the blank bottle is a lot more citrus\coriander in finish. Both are vapour infused so lighter on the nose, and will have been bottled at 47%.

The rum should also be around that ABV wise, bottled about a month again and quite young @ 2 months oaked.

@Fester - you'd be welcome to some if not for the 7 seas and crooked customs officials between us :lol:

Jake was very kind to send me a flask of his first single malt - absolute gorgeous nose to it, and a lovely light almost speyside or Campbell Town style flavour - just the kind of malt I enjoy - I'm saving it to enjoy at hogmanay round the fire with friends.
devoted to the study of using your brain to squeeze the most out of the one and only life you will ever get, even if you have to wash it regularly in lukewarm Scotch.
Al Qaemist

Equipment type: SPP packed VM/LM combo, 64mm Proportional Splitter, stripper, 3Kw 11imp Gal Keg.
30L 1800w Gin still.
PWM controller, bubble ball
Spotty cape and crash helmet.

Postby Dan P. » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:58 pm

I shall have to join your merry throng and send you guys some of my fieriest snake spunk when I am back up and running.
I've got rye on my mind, and I've also been thinking of the Belgian sour mix that has that special pong like no other.
-Dan
Dan P.

Equipment type: pot still

Postby jake_leg » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:15 am

We toasted the rum on Christmas day alongside the Christmas pud. There was a fantastic whiff of butterscotch when I opened the flask, a golden colour in the glass, a very big and mellow flavour, and a long molasses finish like gingerbread. Very smooth but the heat on my lips tells me it was overproof. It's easily the best rum I've had anywhere. Thank you Al Q.

Notes to follow on the gin once I've had a second go at them.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby Al Qaemist » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:56 pm

Pretty sure its not over proof - should be just under 50% (that said mistakes have been made in the past :lol: )- glad you enjoyed it though.
It was a stripped and refluxed rum with a little dunder, aged on heavy toast oak - some bourbon barrel wood, splash of brandy + white wine , raisins, pineapple and a small piece of vanilla pod, and a few black pepper corns and a little treacle.
Not sure if its a bit of a cheat to add those flavour notes back in, in a maceration? I like the result though.
devoted to the study of using your brain to squeeze the most out of the one and only life you will ever get, even if you have to wash it regularly in lukewarm Scotch.
Al Qaemist

Equipment type: SPP packed VM/LM combo, 64mm Proportional Splitter, stripper, 3Kw 11imp Gal Keg.
30L 1800w Gin still.

Postby jake_leg » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks for the hints. The flavours were very well melded. I definitely got the vanilla and treacle. I picked up 5 litres of molasses yesterday so you can guess my intentions.

I think perhaps I am abusing the terminology... my idiot notion of "proof" is you can light a Christmas pudding with it and I think of anything over 40% as overproof. There was certainly none of the instant dehydration and onset of bad dancing that I associate with Wray & Nephew, and August bank holidays.

So onto the gin. I am a pretty straight down the line Tanqueray drinker and something of a purist. It's juniper straight in the glass with maybe a bit of lemon zest and I don't bother too much with ice either. Well consider my horizons expanded.

The unlabelled bottle has an amazingly rich, almost creamy smell that I think has its foundation on a good bit of angelica, but with drifts of floral and perhaps herbacious or medicinal aromas passing by. It's very full on the palate and there is really quite a lot going on. It starts with a kind of creamy root beer flavour and passes through something which could even be wintergreen into herbal complexities and finally a short pleasant peppery finish. With a bit of lemon zest it is the most instantly addictive substance I have tasted. I like it very much indeed. I could imagine it being sold in 19th century pharmacies as a nerve tonic and cure all. It is just what the doctor ordered.

Even more luxurious is to be able to put a cork in it and move on to bottle number 2. The fragrance is subtle and piney with the same rooty and herbal aromas in the background. The spirit has a distinct orangey coriander hit moving swiftly through the rooty herbal brain melt into a long pepperiness that is unmistakably grains of paradise. It's a spicy number and outstanding with an ice cube to salve the tongue and match the cool aromas. No other embellishment is necessary. I feel elevated. It is really bloody good.

The gins and the rum have opened my eyes to what you can do with a reflux still. I had absolutely no idea that you could pack in this much flavour. They are all beautifully smooth and the first gin in particular is extraordinarily well balanced.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby Al Qaemist » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:58 am

Really pleased you enjoyed them mate. The rum was refluxed, but the gin was done on the pot still (with refluxed neutral as the base spirit) -both are works in progress and need a bit of tweaking - but getting there.

Have a good new year when it comes, I'm looking forward to trying your malt properly at the bells.
Al Qaemist

30L 1800w Gin still.

Postby jake_leg » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:26 pm

I polished off the first bottle of Al's in no time. This is how I am enjoying the second (the labelled bottle, with more grains of paradise):

Swill a few drops of Noilly Prat around an up glass and discard. Spray oil from a thick strip of zest from a pomelo, cut with a potato peeler, into the glass. Top up with plenty of gin straight from the frrrreezer and drink before it warms up.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Return to Tastings