• Advertisement

St Georges Spirits Managing Director Thoroughbred Brands

We occasionally get to try each other work/art. If you would like to critique a members beverages then it should be here.

Re: St Georges Spirits Managing Director Thoroughbred Brands

Postby pintoshine » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:09 pm

Exactly the same scaled up a bit
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby Dan P. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:18 pm

pintoshine wrote:Exactly the same scaled up a bit

Cool, thanks Pint.
Dan P.

Equipment type: pot still

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Damned fine, Pint!

You're a model for us all (and you're also showing the big kids the quality of what we're doing).
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby pintoshine » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:13 pm

So, Scott sent me three bottles from St. Georges Spirits.
The Kirsch is very nice. Made from sour cherries gives it a very cherry finish. The Gin was a Dry Rye Gin. Has caraway, black pepper juniper berries. This is fine stuff. Mildly flavored of juniper berries, the black pepper and caraway compliments the dry rye very nicely. The start and the finish are very full mouth flavor with a nice spicy finish.
The Zinfandel Grappa is the best of all. Normally grappa tastes really bad. The throw everything in except the kitchen sink but St Georges, by the description on the bottle is using white Zinfandel grape :? pomace (sorry this confuses me a bit from my understanding of white wine fermentation). I enjoy some grapes more than others and a white Zinfandel is one I can actually differentiate from a Chardonnay or Rhine.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby vb » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:55 pm

pintoshine wrote:The Zinfandel Grappa is the best of all. Normally grappa tastes really bad. The throw everything in except the kitchen sink but St Georges, by the description on the bottle is using white Zinfandel grape :? pomace (sorry this confuses me a bit from my understanding of white wine fermentation). I enjoy some grapes more than others and a white Zinfandel is one I can actually differentiate from a Chardonnay or Rhine.

my mother recently sold her vinyard, I'm not an expert or anything, but my understanding is white is not fermented on the skin, and grapes are definately not pressed dry. or else the wine would be very bitter.
so the white Zin would make a good base for grappa, but would have to be fermented separate and after the fact. its doable for sure, but involves a couple more steps than traditional Grappa (only because traditional grappa is done quick and dirty)
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby zedzedtop » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:27 am

Zinfandel is a red grape. WZ is made in the rose style, with minimal (hours) skin contact. I would imagine that the pressed skins were left to ferment dry afterwards.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby prairiepiss » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:05 am

Some vineyards make a red zinfandel. I've also seen a blush zinfandel.

Usually white is fermented off the skins. Blush is fermented on skins for a short period of time. Then they are removed. And reds are fermented on the skins the whole time. Not always and all the vineyards have their own way of doing things.

But if you were to do it from start to finish just to make a good distilled product. I would think you could ferment on the skin. Take what would normally be the red zinfandel and make brandy from it. And the skins and pulp for the grappa. That way you could control the ferment to make a better distilled spirit. Instead of using a vineyards waste and try to make something good from it.

Sory just talking out loud.
prairiepiss

Equipment type: 15.5 gal keg boiler with 2 5500w 220v elements. Now running 220v Stilldragon controller on one element.
30" X 2" Pot Still CM modular combo column.
16" X 3" shotgun condenser 5 1/2" X 11" and 4 1/4" X 11" tubes and built in gin basket.
8" bubble ball addition named Fu Man.

Previous

Return to Tastings