• Advertisement

Courtesy of J. Leg

We occasionally get to try each other work/art. If you would like to critique a members beverages then it should be here.

Courtesy of J. Leg

Postby Dan P. » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:23 pm

I was delighted to receive from Jake Leg, perhaps to celebrate his (envied) departure to the New World, a flask, simply labelled "malt".
Now I have sampled a little of Jake's product in he past. His blackberrygeist; superb! Really nice. Homely, of the home, something that an apple-cheeked grandma might give you... but at the same time, inscrutable. A berry Fu Manchu in spirituous robes. Straight backed, serious. I remember it that well, thought is quite some time ago that I tasted it.
I also tasted some of Jake's whiskey. Now, I was hesitant to express unreserved enthusiasm for it, because I thought that it was perhaps a bit too headsy. I think that in fact the main problem I was facing was that I was tasting heads, which is one type of thing, but combined with quite immature oak. It is only recently that I have realized that the extracted flavours from the oak themselves seem to need to develop and age to a certain degree.
Which brings me to Jakes latest offering; "Malt"- To indulge what little whiskey tasting chin-strokery I am able to summon up (mercifully little); banana bread, butter, oatcakes, a sweet nose (commercial scotch seems to rely on indirect additions of sherry, bourbon, inter alia, for their nose, so no shame in a simple nose from a home distiller), an underlying flat, gravelly grain bed, black pepper, oak? certainly some in the nose, And do I detect a certain South London terroir? South London certainly has superior water to where I live now.
At first taste I thought "he's too much heads again", but with a little air this impression subsides, allowing some heads flavours to act as a backdrop to the body of flavours of the drink itself; grainy whiskey. Home-made whiskey. Man whiskey! I tried it along side my own efforts. I try quite hard to keep my product free of too much heads or tails. On reflection, perhaps mine is a little bland in comparison. The oak in mine is a little too heavy handed, without enough funk in the whiskey to back it up. It's a wonderful learning experience being able to taste someone else's product, and I recommend members make connections with each other where they can (and where they feel comfortable doing so, of course).
Thanks Jake!
Dan P.

Equipment type: pot still

Re: Courtesy of J. Leg

Postby jake_leg » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:00 am

South London terroir would be the eau de fox piss... smell it once you've and you will always know when someone has slept rough in Brockley.

I have some rum at my Dad's just sitting there getting old, If I get around to it I'll send out a snifter when I'm next over.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby Bushman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:19 am

Dan I have had the same experience with Mash Rookie, also it has been fun to do runs together and see how each of us run our stills. It is a slow processes getting to the trust of others to share and even meet but it is also rewarding if you make a good match.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby jake_leg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:17 pm

It's bad form to quote your own reviews, especially when they are in a PM, but I'm going to do it anyway. From Al Q:

Last night I was was drinking........

Blackberry - courtesy of JL. Much mellower that when I received it, lots of good flavour coming through, I bet that would age well en masse in untoasted oak.

NAF Rum - courtesy of JL. Still rough, and tastes a bit of the wash :)

Vanilla rum - courtesy of JL. Put a bit of ginger ale in it and really enjoyed it.

That NAF rum is still at my Dad's, except the bottle I took home with me, has been on oak 10 months and has not improved :|
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Return to Tastings