• Advertisement

Cutty Sark

We occasionally get to try each other work/art. If you would like to critique a members beverages then it should be here.

Cutty Sark

Postby zedzedtop » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Stumbles across an old bottle of Cutty Sark. Unopened and fill level still above the neck. I did some research and it is from 1970 +/- 3years. Today I bought the current incarnation, much begrudgingly, as a comparison. Will open with a mate in a couple of weeks. Actually I just opened the current release. Just light and super boring, as one might expect. It was about the cheapest blend at the store. Should be an interesting comparison. Wish Ralfy could be a part of the tasting....

sark.JPG
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Re: Cutty Sark

Postby Smaug » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:42 am

Really curious to read your final evaluation.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby just sayin' » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:32 pm

Zed,

I bet the modern made Cutty Sark will not hold a candle to the old stuff. I hope you enjoy it.

Don't remember anyone ever refering to Ralfy Mitchell here. Glad to hear you follow Ralfy's Reviews. I highly recommend his vlogs to anyone who wants to get a solid background in Scotch whisky. I trust his reviews even more than John Hansel at Whiskey Advocate.

Just Sayin'
just sayin'

Postby Azframer » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:15 pm

lwtcs wrote:Really curious to read your final evaluation.

Yea me too. Kind of wondering if they lost any qualities or might even gained any over the years. Members of quality control have come and gone over the years.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby olcarguy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:51 pm

From what I understood, no changes would tack place in sealed glass. Lets see if it is true.
I am "CANADIAN"
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible-
but pissing everyone off, is a piece of cake.
olcarguy

Equipment type: 6gal Milk can Pot still, 3gal thumper......

Postby Azframer » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:27 pm

olcarguy wrote:From what I understood, no changes would tack place in sealed glass. Lets see if it is true.

Just to state I was not talking about in the glass changes but in the company itself over the years. But I get what you are saying and heard the same, your comment made me want to expand on what I said above.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby zedzedtop » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:47 am

The goal is generally consistency over the years, but there is some drift due to drift in the malts and casks available, plus the shift in the noses of the blenders. I'm sure they sneak in subtle cost saving measures too, which are amplified with time as well. Product in corked bottles does change a bit with time, as there is a bit of vapour that leaks out. I'm actually impressed with this one having lost so little volume.

@just sayin, I'll imagine you are right. The modern blend is so jolly light that it is only marginally perceivable as scotch whisky. Agree, Ralfy has a very good vlog and I haven't missed a one. He's great with history and nosing notes, etc., but not too up on the technique. That's fine though - I love the reviews for what they are.

Ralfy's comparison of old vs. new whiskies has indicated a shift away from character-driven presentations.

Johnny Walker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNw7muIbQX0

Haig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRjBBgv63W8
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Return to Tastings