• Advertisement

Whiskey tasting event in January 2015

We occasionally get to try each other work/art. If you would like to critique a members beverages then it should be here.

Whiskey tasting event in January 2015

Postby Boomtown » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:13 am

North American Bourbon & Whiskey Competition
The North American Bourbon and Whiskey Competition is produced by Wine Country Network, Inc.

The competition is dedicated to promoting excellence in Bourbon, Whiskey, Scotch and Moonshine. This double blind competition will be based on a 100-point scale. We will judge spirits (fairly) by styles and price categories.

The competition also offers categories for packaging and label design.

http://whiskeycomp.com/phone/index.html

IMHO this appears to be a great to garner a lot of free whiskey. Does anyone know anything about this group?
Boomtown

Re: Whiskey tasting event in January 2015

Postby Kapea » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Well, they made a glaring error on their poster.
and
Area code 303 is in Erie, Colorado. Someone is going to have to schlep the entries from Colorado to Louisville for the event.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby sugarcreek » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:58 pm

>> We will judge spirits (fairly) by styles and price categories.

How is that fair? A spirit should be judged on it's merits (or lack thereof) regardless of price. And the 100 point scale is ludicrous at best, insanity at worse. I'll be you $1000 you cant pick a 95 point spirit from a 90 point spirit. Blatant ripoff from Wine Spectator (who really only has a 50 point scale). Furthermore, any notion of fairness is like a fart in the wind when you charge $300 per spirit. For chrissakes...
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby Kapea » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:16 pm

Once upon a time I was involved in the Beer Judge Certification Program. It was a good place to learn about beer styles, brewing and beer flaws. But, after a while I came to realize that beer competitions were driven by the egos of brewers and judges. It occurred to me that someone asking for a refill of a beverage I made meant a whole lot more to me than all the blue ribbons, gold medals, trophies, and a fancy BJCP Judge pin. It seemed to me that brewing for competitions was akin to being in a bowling league.

I can tell when I ferment or distill something good, or something bad. I don't need to spend a shitpot full of money to send my beverages off to someone who knows less about it than I do, who might be able to tell me stuff I already know, just so I can have another fancy gewgaw collecting dust on a shelf in my shed.

Of course expressing this opinion on homebrew forums is treated as heresy, and is the object of extreme scorn and ridicule.
Kapea

Postby Mud » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:38 pm

I'll give my fairest and best judgment on damn near anything from bourbon bottles to bras for $300. Just make sure they're full when they get here.

WithAllDueRespectToTheMissus
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Kapea » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:39 pm

:8) :lol:
Kapea

Postby Mud » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:48 pm

How does one judge moonshine? Its a specialty spirit so it could have glycerin added, flavors...whatever.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby zedzedtop » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:56 pm

Kapea wrote:Once upon a time I was involved in the Beer Judge Certification Program. It was a good place to learn about beer styles, brewing and beer flaws. But, after a while I came to realize that beer completions were driven by the egos of brewers and judges. It occurred to me that someone asking for a refill of a beverage I made meant a whole lot more to me than all the blue ribbons, gold medals, trophies, and a fancy BJCP Judge pin. It seemed to me that brewing for completion was akin to being in a bowling league.

I can tell when I ferment or distill something good, or something bad. I don't need to spend a shitpot full of money to send my beverages off to someone who knows less about it than I do, who might be able to tell me stuff I already know, just so I can have another fancy gewgaw collecting dust on a shelf in my shed.

Of course expressing this opinion on homebrew forums is treated as heresy, and is the object of extreme scorn and ridicule.

I had pretty much the exact same bjcp experience.....
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Return to Tastings