• Advertisement

Whiskey Six Pack

Parrot's beaks, burners, measuring instruments, glassware, and anything but a still goes here.

Re: Whiskey Six Pack

Postby skow69 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:24 pm

So you will pump air into a barrel for an hour a day. Is that just to stir it up and get more even contact with the wood or do you expect the aeration to speed up the aging process?

I've read about other processes that use air, or pure oxygen, sometimes under slight pressure, to rapidly age or 'mellow' the product. Some of them seem to make perfectly good sense. I tried to emulate one of them once, using a medical oxygen concentrator. The results were disastrous. It somehow just depleted the alcohol from the spirit at an alarming rate. I bailed right away, didn't pursue it far enough to find out what was really going on. With your persistence I'm sure you'll get better results that I did.

Gotta say I admire your ambition. Six times 50 gallons is a buttload of booze. Best of luck. Keep us posted.
Distilling at 120f and 100 torr.
"The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas and throw away the bad ones."
Linus Pauling
skow69

Equipment type: Multi-thumper 5 gallon Corney keg vacuum pot still.
2" X 50" borosilicate offset VM/LM with SPP and red pumi-rock.

Postby punkin » Tue May 12, 2015 3:42 pm

I better be the first to ask i guess. What type of plastic is that? HDPE?

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Butch Coolidge » Tue May 12, 2015 3:49 pm

I guess there are a couple of reasons for the aeration. First off, I like the idea of the bubbles possibly stirring things up inside. But mainly, it's about promoting evaporation. Since the barrels are not made of wood, obviously there will be no harsh alcohols permeating through them. The aeration will help solve that problem by not only facilitating evaporation, but also by occasionally forcing the air in the headspace of the barrel to evacuate.

I guess I don't fully buy aeration itself as a necessary part of the aging process. But in this case, I think that it does solve the plastic vs wood barrel problem.

I'll be conducting regular checks of flavor and proof to make sure I don't give the angels too much.
"I'm American, Honey. Our names don't mean shit!"
Butch Coolidge

Equipment type: Several reflux columns, some hand-made, some custom-made. Half-barrel keg boilers. Fully automated carbon filtering system. Lots of miscellaneous gadgetry.

Postby Butch Coolidge » Tue May 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Yeah, FDA grade HDPE.
Butch Coolidge

Equipment type: Several reflux columns, some hand-made, some custom-made. Half-barrel keg boilers. Fully automated carbon filtering system. Lots of miscellaneous gadgetry.

Postby Rebel_Yell » Thu May 14, 2015 6:50 pm

I bet the devils share will be something to talk about on those barrels. Good to see ya posting Butch. Nice shop area!
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby snackson » Fri May 15, 2015 9:01 am

Butch Coolidge wrote:Bought it. Wouldn't know the first thing about building one. They are super cheap on eBay, less than $150 for a five or six stage one.

I got one for $90 for just the filters, no pressure tank. I built my own pressure tank out of a beer keg.

I should post some pictures of that. I'd have to search for them..

:offtopic: Butch, do you think you could post the pictures when you find them of your pressure tank for the RO unit made out of the keg or at least a description of it. I have a 15.5 gallon eye wash (keg) that has a 2" triclamp ferule at the top (unlike the flat 2" top on a normal keg a regular gasket works perfectly). I was thinking of adding a 2" triclamp to 1/2" female NPT adapter on there and putting a compression fitting in and running some tubing down inside it to use a a pressure tank for an RO system I am building for my setup.

I've love your setup and it has me thinking about how I am going to store/age my booze once I can make some again.

Cheers.
snackson

Equipment type: 4" modular flute in progress.

Postby Butch Coolidge » Fri May 15, 2015 12:32 pm

snackson wrote:
Butch Coolidge wrote:Bought it. Wouldn't know the first thing about building one. They are super cheap on eBay, less than $150 for a five or six stage one.

I got one for $90 for just the filters, no pressure tank. I built my own pressure tank out of a beer keg.

I should post some pictures of that. I'd have to search for them..

:offtopic: Butch, do you think you could post the pictures when you find them of your pressure tank for the RO unit made out of the keg or at least a description of it. I have a 15.5 gallon eye wash (keg) that has a 2" triclamp ferule at the top (unlike the flat 2" top on a normal keg a regular gasket works perfectly). I was thinking of adding a 2" triclamp to 1/2" female NPT adapter on there and putting a compression fitting in and running some tubing down inside it to use a a pressure tank for an RO system I am building for my setup.

I've love your setup and it has me thinking about how I am going to store/age my booze once I can make some again.

Cheers.

Sounds like your idea is the same. I welded a cap on top of my keg because I didn't want any leaks. Otherwise, there's a 1/2" stainless pipe that runs down to the bottom of the keg with the water line plumbed into it.

You can pre-charge it, or not. I found that I could store and dispense more gallons of water with no pre-charge, but the flow is slower.

For my RO water faucet, I used an extra beer dispensing tower and tap that I had laying around. I'll find pics..
Butch Coolidge

Postby Butch Coolidge » Fri May 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Keg water pressure/storage tank:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Butch Coolidge

Postby snackson » Fri May 15, 2015 2:14 pm

Very nice! I'm glad to see that it can be done. I didn't even think of using a beer tap for dispensing the water.
snackson

Equipment type: 4" modular flute in progress.

Postby Swedish Pride » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:49 am

so butch, how's this aging system turning out for you a year and change later?
Swedish Pride

Postby okie » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:03 pm

My question is 6 55 gallon drums of whisky? You have to be kidding me.
Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink
okie

Postby Butch Coolidge » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:44 am

Swedish Pride wrote:so butch, how's this aging system turning out for you a year and change later?

It has turned out great! The whiskey gets most of its flavor within the first few months. I don't think it really needs years. I even stopped the angel blasting after several months because I was happy with the flavor and didn't want it to become overly rich.

Speaking of the angel blasting system, I learned quickly once I got the rest of the barrels full that the manifold system of aerating all 6 barrels doesn't work. The pressure finds the path of least resistance, and flows there only. I ended up changing the system to each barrel having its own small aerator pump connected to one common timer.

I guess I never posted any pics of the completed system with all the barrels. I'll post some.
IMG_1879.JPG

IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG
Butch Coolidge

Postby Butch Coolidge » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:51 am

*NOTE*
The angel blasting system in the above pics is the old, innefective manifold system. I don't think I have current pics of the system with the 6 individual aerator pumps.
Butch Coolidge

Postby Butch Coolidge » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:01 am

Here's a pic of my girlfriend standing by the still with the whiskey six pack in the background. Also, this is a good view of the last upgrade I did converting my LM still to VM. That was a year ago.
IMG_1882.JPG
Butch Coolidge

Postby Swedish Pride » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:33 am

irregardless of anyone's views on plastic , amount of booze or the need for it I think this is awesome.
you would not have to make an other drop ever and still have enough for your wake
Swedish Pride

Previous

Return to Accessories