• Advertisement

Sand bath

Parrot's beaks, burners, measuring instruments, glassware, and anything but a still goes here.

Re: Sand bath

Postby Y1969 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:58 am

Kareltje wrote:So I wonder if the copper boiler will be very easily corroded by a strong CaCl2-solution.

I'll ask the janitor for a handful of de-icing reagent and boil the copper fitting. But I will do it on Tuesday. My wife forbids cooking fittings in salt in the kitchen. Especially she worries when I do it in her favorite pan for porridge.
Y1969
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:10 am
Location: Moscow, Russia
Equipment type: packed column

Re: Sand bath

Postby Kareltje » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:39 am

Y1969 wrote:
Kareltje wrote:So I wonder if the copper boiler will be very easily corroded by a strong CaCl2-solution.

I'll ask the janitor for a handful of de-icing reagent and boil the copper fitting. But I will do it on Tuesday. My wife forbids cooking fittings in salt in the kitchen. Especially she worries when I do it in her favorite pan for porridge.

You go to great lengths to keep her happy, I suppose? :D So you can enjoy her porridge! :8)
Kareltje
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: Sand bath

Postby Kareltje » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:54 am

Y1969 wrote:all Russian forums of moonshine subjects are affiliated with equipment vendors. Administration forums are extremely intolerant of opinions that are at odds with their opinion. In these forums there is a huge number of myths and illiterate opinions, aggressively supported by the administration. Owners sell equipment made from cheesy Chinese pans, try to justify low quality by hard moderation. Commerce, nothing personal.
You can read http: //forum.homedistiller.ru and https: //forum.grainwine.info. The second forum was attended by moonshiners, who were banned on the first. I'm banned on both the first and the second. But there is a lot of slang and I doubt that you will be able to quickly understand the topic of messages.

Thank you! :8) I will try and see!
I was banned from the first Dutch forum I joined. :mg: Funny how different forums can be.

I do not know Russian, not even the alfabet, but I used google translate to read gonimsami and it worked good enough.
Kareltje
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: Sand bath

Postby Y1969 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:50 pm

Kareltje wrote:Thank you! :8) I will try and see!
I was banned from the first Dutch forum I joined. :mg: Funny how different forums can be.

I do not know Russian, not even the alfabet, but I used google translate to read gonimsami and it worked good enough.


Colleague, if you do not understand some subtleties of Russian moonshine slang - you can contact me. I'll try to translate for you.
Question. English is your native language?
About the Dutch . Well, what do they understand about strong drinks? They somehow brew beer. You would have asked the French about moonshine! They have moonshine called cognac. Grape vodka! Rakia! Chacha!
Note:
"...According to the memoirs of AA Gromyko, Stalin at the Yalta Conference in 1945 gave Churchill and Roosevelt a chacha, which had not previously been known to them. At the same time Stalin remarked: "This, in my opinion, is the best of all kinds of vodka. However, I do not drink it myself. I prefer easy dry wines "..."
Y1969
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:10 am
Location: Moscow, Russia
Equipment type: packed column

Re: Sand bath

Postby Kareltje » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:59 pm

Y1969 wrote:
Kareltje wrote:Thank you! :8) I will try and see!
I was banned from the first Dutch forum I joined. :mg: Funny how different forums can be.

I do not know Russian, not even the alfabet, but I used google translate to read gonimsami and it worked good enough.


Colleague, if you do not understand some subtleties of Russian moonshine slang - you can contact me. I'll try to translate for you.
Question. English is your native language?
About the Dutch . Well, what do they understand about strong drinks? They somehow brew beer. You would have asked the French about moonshine! They have moonshine called cognac. Grape vodka! Rakia! Chacha!
Note:
"...According to the memoirs of AA Gromyko, Stalin at the Yalta Conference in 1945 gave Churchill and Roosevelt a chacha, which had not previously been known to them. At the same time Stalin remarked: "This, in my opinion, is the best of all kinds of vodka. However, I do not drink it myself. I prefer easy dry wines "..."

I like your "colleague". I prefer mate myself.
Indeed sometimes the translation is quite strange, :roflmao: but I like to try it. If I really get stuck, I am glad to accept your offer. Already found something useful!
No, my native language is Dutch, but we learn English in school and all kinds of series on TV and all films are subtitled. And as a lot of them are in English, we hear the English (in all kinds of dialects!) and simultaneously read the Dutch.
We have beer, indeed. And we have genever, the origin of gin. And of course several liqueurs and herbal drinks, like Berenburg.
I saw in the translation chacha, but don't know what it is.

But we are very off topic, maybe we start a new thread about Russian forums? Or do you have problems with that?
Like viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10109
I left out your name.
Kareltje
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: Sand bath

Postby Y1969 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:13 am

Boiled copper in a strong solution of calcium chloride. It boils at 118 degrees Celsius. He boiled in a porcelain glass. Copper used the electrical grade M1 in accordance with GOST 859 - 2001. Copper does not corrode, but the solution becomes greenish. I added a little trisodium phosphate. Copper darkened, corrosion is not noticeable. Covered part of the copper plate solder POS-61 (tin and lead, electrotechnical solder) in accordance with GOST 21930-76. Copper around the solder became heavily black. There is no micrometer at home, I can not measure the thinning of the plate. The experiments are continuing.
Y1969
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:10 am
Location: Moscow, Russia
Equipment type: packed column

Re: Sand bath

Postby Kareltje » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Hi mate: nice experiment. Thanks!
Kareltje
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: Sand bath

Postby Alchemist75 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:27 am

Been offline a minute or two, took a break for the holidays and only just got back to running. I know it's veering back to an earlier point in the discussion but I've officially opted for sand baths on STRIPPING RUNS as opposed to spirit runs. The sand bath has demonstrated it's ability to aggressively overcome the up hill battle effect of a water bath and while the risk of overheating exists it is essentially negligible given the type of energy output I'm getting with a gas flame. The lack of a temperature cap has made the slow heat up time well worth it. My stripping runs go nice and quick now. I will still assert that using a water bath is the very best way to execute a spirit run but that one's up for argument....
I've been running glass stills for over 20 years now and have no shame in saying so.
User avatar
Alchemist75
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:19 am
Location: New Mexico USA
Equipment type: All glass equipment, highly modular borosilicate lab glass. Volumes and configurations vary including a copper packed passive reflux apparatus and a modular glass thumper set up.

Previous

Return to Accessories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests