• Advertisement

my steam powered double boiler project

Parrot's beaks, burners, measuring instruments, glassware, and anything but a still goes here.

Re: my steam powered double boiler project

Postby itchy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:11 am

yes you do control the heat by adjusting the controls,, the higher the steam pressure the higher the temperature of the steam.. and when you make a correction it responds amazingly fast,, their seems to be no perfect pressure,,, if i got 5 gallons of wash it takes less heat then say a 12 gallon wash,, so i may want 8 psi one run and 12 psi the next,, also im sure the abv of the wash will affect the boiling point as well..
death is inevitable,, but its also only the beginning
itchy

Location: the rifle range, treestand or the "man cave" pennsylvania
Equipment type: vm column, pot still, steam powered double boiler..4" flute. 40 gl stainless tank boiler, 1/4 keg thumper..starting a 6" stainless steel flute

Postby squidd » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi Itchy,

Great thread!

In your first picture, there are what appears to be two pressure controllers.
Is one of them set at a slightly higher value than your operating pressure as a safety shut-off ?

Cheers,
squidd
squidd

Postby itchy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:54 pm

@ squibb exactly,,, i use the left one as my primary control and make my pressure adjustments with it,, the right one is maxed out at about 14 psi,,,, it stays their and if for any reason (i cant think of any) im not paying attention it acts as my back up and shuts it down...
itchy

Equipment type: vm column, pot still, steam powered double boiler..4" flute. 40 gl stainless tank boiler, 1/4 keg thumper..starting a 6" stainless steel flute

Postby itchy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:13 pm

i added the insulation around the boiler,, i put it onto a set of casters and welded it down to the steel plate ontop... theirs not much else i can do to this thing,, its working great,, so thats about it,,, heres a picture of it with a column on top and a picture of it as a pot still....
IMG_2899.jpg
IMG_2899.jpg (53.19 KiB) Viewed 1938 times

IMG_2900.jpg
IMG_2900.jpg (76.71 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
itchy

Postby jake_leg » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:31 am

Good looking thumper too. How tall is your ceiling, is looks pretty high.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby itchy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:47 pm

i'm not exactly sure,, i know its over 7 feet,, i had to pull out some of the insulation to fit it up between the rafters and still had to cut two inches off the column,,,luckily i had the extra two inches up top at the coil....
itchy

Postby zedzedtop » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:37 am

Fantastic! I'm surprised myles hasn't been around to comment.... No leaks? Holding together well? Runs?
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby itchy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:38 pm

wow..its now been 6 years since my last post on this,,,,i still have it in my storage shed, and i'll be giving it a good cleaning and thorough inspection and hopefully put it back online this summer....
itchy

Previous

Return to Accessories