• Advertisement

Butch's Centrifuge

Parrot's beaks, burners, measuring instruments, glassware, and anything but a still goes here.

Re: Butch's Centrifuge

Postby goinbroke2 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:09 am

A funny read, but excellent points to be taken from this!
This is on the "to do" list.
I'm thinking make it more like a cement mixer so I could support the top of the barrel with a second bearing as well as tip the dry grain out instead of scooping it out or whatever Butch does.

Rpm could probably be lowered and a jacuzzi tub timer installed so you could turn it on and walk away for 5 minutes or so, come back when it shuts off and dump the grain, refill, turn back on and continue whatever else your doing in the stillroom.

Dang, I love this idea...
goinbroke2

Equipment type: 58L keg, 25' of copper coil, 72,000btu burner, 205L fermenting barrel

Postby bachman » Sun May 18, 2014 2:14 pm

I know this topic is a couple of months old, but I have been doing some bourbon mashed latel and I am wondering if your homemade centrifuge would work on 70 pounds of grains at a time. I have been using a mop wringer for the last 5 or 6 batches, it works better than wringing it out by hand but it is still a far amount of work. With the mop wringer it still takes about 45 minutes with this volume of grain. I am not quit ready to speed 1500-2000 for a small industrial centrifuge.
bachman

Equipment type: (2) 50 liter boilers, (2) 2"x48" reflux column and (2) 50 liter fermenters., 4" 6 plate bubble cap and hopefully soon a 200l boiler

Postby Butch Coolidge » Wed May 21, 2014 4:35 pm

I am wondering if your homemade centrifuge would work on 70 pounds of grains at a time.

70lbs of wet grains, maybe. If you mean a batch that starts out with 70lbs of dry grain, that might be a bit much, once it doubles or triples in weight with water.

Back when I was using that, I think that the spun grains that would come out, would be enough to fill 1.5 5gal buckets, and I would've been comfortable using more. 30-50% more even. Maybe you can use that to do some calculations.

I can't remember the dry weight of the grains I'd use in that recipe. It may be in another of my threads, even at the beginning of this one.

Either way, it did work great and regardless of the size of your mash, you could run 1/2 at a time.

Just remember, using a previously used washer is just about impossible due to the difficulty involved in performing a thorough cleaning. The one I tried could not be disassembled enough due to the basket being permanently crimped onto the shaft during manufacture. Even if the inside of the basket is sparkling clean, it's the backside, between the basket and tub where fabric lint, moisture, and bacteria collect.

Butch
"I'm American, Honey. Our names don't mean shit!"
Butch Coolidge

Equipment type: Several reflux columns, some hand-made, some custom-made. Half-barrel keg boilers. Fully automated carbon filtering system. Lots of miscellaneous gadgetry.

Postby Boomtown » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:21 pm

kiwi wrote:Hmm ok, I'm not sure that you'd get the whole grain-filter-matrix you normally get from a lauter tun in a centrifuge. Maybe it's best to deal with the mess either with a filter between the centrifuge and fermenter, or by clarifying in the fermenter. Have you ever tried fining with gelatin? works wonders.

Could you elaborate on the 'fining with gelatin' concept, please?
Boomtown

Postby punkin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:19 pm

If you mix 5gm of gelatin powder with 125ml of off boiling water and add it to a corny keg of beer while transferring it will help it to drop bright in the keg fridge over a couple of days.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby goinbroke2 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:34 pm

Here is a guy using a washing machine to brew all grain, 12 quick video's. Following in Butch's footsteps? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ezq3X ... sg&index=1
goinbroke2

Equipment type: 58L keg, 25' of copper coil, 72,000btu burner, 205L fermenting barrel

Postby Tracker » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:57 am

WOW and no walls to wash down. COOL.

Makes me wish I was a beer brewer.

Cheers
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:21 pm

Much to think about. I think I'd need a RIMS or HERMS device for heating that recirculating wort. I brew a lot of high-dextrin beer, and mash temperature gets a little critical.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby goinbroke2 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:04 pm

Heck with beer, I'm thinking just use it to spin dry the grain and get every last bit of wort out. On the other hand, I could see me doing an all grain run in it too though...

Just think though, spent grain dry enough to vacuum out with a shop vac?? AWESOME!
goinbroke2

Postby Butch Coolidge » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:44 am

Really wish I hadn't seen those videos..

Now I'm considering making more attempts at all grains with a setup similar to that guy's.. It looks way easier than the process I had a few years ago.
"I'm American, Honey. Our names don't mean shit!"
Butch Coolidge

Equipment type: Several reflux columns, some hand-made, some custom-made. Half-barrel keg boilers. Fully automated carbon filtering system. Lots of miscellaneous gadgetry.

Postby Tracker » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:32 am

Go for it Butch, don't let past failures prevent reaching your ultimate goal.
Once you get there, I will have a go.

Cheers. :rkn:
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Previous

Return to Accessories